Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

eG Foodblog: Alinka - Not Just Borsch: Eating in Moscow

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
153 replies to this topic

#151 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:03 AM

Some of the popular Russian cakes are Napoleon (a version of mille-feuille), honey cake (multiple thin layers of honey dough layered with whipped sour cream) ...
Posted Image

Why don't we ask Lena to tell us more about Russian pastries since she is our dessert lady? (Lenchik, hi! I'm so glad you joined!)

View Post

Thank you for a wonderful week of food in Moscow through your posts and photos!

I"m dreaming of this honey cake from now on...

I think that Russian desserts are not very well known in the US; it will be interesting to hear other tidbits now and then in the future from you and Lenoba!

Thank you again and best wishes for your new family.
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#152 MarketStEl

MarketStEl
  • participating member
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:27 AM

This has been a wonderful blog, and I now have a few more recipes to try.

Thanks for sharing some of your life with us, and giving us a Muscovite's-eye-view of the Russian capital today. It's a lot more interesting and colorful than we've been led to believe in the States.
Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia
"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen
My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

#153 bleudauvergne

bleudauvergne
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:41 AM

Excellent. :smile:

#154 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:03 PM

Alinka, many thanks for taking me to a lovely destination that I would never see otherwise! :wub: Beautiful food and fabulous pictures.
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog