Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chuka Wakame

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 SuzySushi

SuzySushi
  • participating member
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:30 PM

I wasn't able to find this in supermarkets in Yokohama but I just came back from a 4 day trip to Fukushima and look what I found in a local supermarket up there!

Posted Image

Chukka wakame

The ingredient list (which I forgot to take a picture of) listed kuki wakame as the main iingredient and no other types of seweeds were listed. This specific product did not contain agar agar in any form. The main seasonings were soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, sesame seeds and kochujang! This particular product was made in Niigata, it was quite good and my husband, who normally doesn't care for wakame, devoured the pack. IIt was definitely cheaper here than in the US, that pack of 180g (6.3 oz) cost me 198 yen ($1.70). :biggrin:

View Post

That's it.

I was over at ou local Sam's Club yesterday and saw large packages of the seaweed salad, which they called Seaweed (Wakame) Salad. First ingredient listed was wakame (not specifying which type), then agar agar, the usual seasoning ingredients, and lots of artificial ingredients (preservatives, food dyes).

So it appears that some brands use agar agar and some don't.
SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."
My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

#32 ohev'ochel

ohev'ochel
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

I wasn't able to find this in supermarkets in Yokohama but I just came back from a 4 day trip to Fukushima and look what I found in a local supermarket up there!

Posted Image

Chukka wakame

The ingredient list (which I forgot to take a picture of) listed kuki wakame as the main iingredient and no other types of seweeds were listed. This specific product did not contain agar agar in any form. The main seasonings were soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, sesame seeds and kochujang! This particular product was made in Niigata, it was quite good and my husband, who normally doesn't care for wakame, devoured the pack. IIt was definitely cheaper here than in the US, that pack of 180g (6.3 oz) cost me 198 yen ($1.70). :biggrin:

View Post

kristin--
just saw ur post. yup, that's it but it kinda looks different from what i get here. not going to split hairs at this point! unless the red chili is hidden amongst the wakame. question: what is the kochujang stuff? hehe, ur husband ate the whole thing -- told u it was good. :wink: but how did YOU like it? did it have the typical crunch to it? would u buy it again? [sorry for all the questions].

have to try this using the kuki wakame. how does it usually come, frozen or salted? i think i saw it salted but someone said it was VERY salty still after it was soaked. though that may be just a preparation error on the part of the person who did it.

thanx for ur help.

#33 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

Yes there were red flecks in it, for some reason they didn't show up in the picture.
Kochujang is a Korean chile paste.
Yes I did eat some of it as well and it was very good and very crunchy. I would buy it again.

Kuki wakame I had never noticed being sold before this thread.... I went looking for it the other day and found a pack in the refrigerated section that was salted. Because it is quite a bit thicker than regular wakame I am assuming the soaking period will need to be longer and you wshould probably wash it in several changes of water.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#34 ohev'ochel

ohev'ochel
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

Yes there were red flecks in it, for some reason they didn't show up in the picture.
Kochujang is a Korean chile paste.
Yes I did eat some of it as well and it was very good and very crunchy. I would buy it again.

Kuki wakame I had never noticed being sold before this thread.... I went looking for it the other day and found a pack in the refrigerated section that was salted. Because it is quite a bit thicker than regular wakame I am assuming the soaking period will need to be longer and you wshould probably wash it in several changes of water.

View Post

thanx for ur quick reply!

the kochujang makes sense -- i have found this salad being sold very often in korean grocery stores. i had seen the kuki wakame before and did not realize it could be slivered and was therefore used for this salad. anyway, glad i finally now know what it is. thank u for all ur help.

Edited by ohev'ochel, 20 August 2006 - 02:48 PM.

#35 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

Just another quick note, though I posted a link to this picture of slivered kuki wakame this was not the type I have seen in the store and not the type most people think of when you say kuki wakame. Every time I have eaten it, it has looked like this. This is what the bag at the store looked like yesterday but looking online it most often seems to be sold like this (salted).
This looks like it would be very difficult to julienne....

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#36 ohev'ochel

ohev'ochel
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:22 PM

Just another quick note, though I posted a link to this picture of slivered kuki wakame this was not the type I have seen in the store and not the type most people think of when you say kuki wakame. Every time I have eaten it, it has looked like this. This is what the bag at the store looked like yesterday but looking online it most often seems to be sold like this (salted).

View Post

in essence, then, i would be looking to buy the first type u mention "rakuten" brand or similar?

#37 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

View Post

in essence, then, i would be looking to buy the first type u mention "rakuten" brand or similar?

View Post

yes you would want that first type.
Rakuten is not the brand name, it is an online shopping mall operator through whcih the smaller company (Kawamoto) is selling their product.

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org