Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Why Use fondant?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 Dailey

Dailey
  • participating member
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:31 AM

kate,
do you used real chocolate or just the wafers? i think i'm gonna give it a try in the near future. also, i just figured out how to cover my cakes quite well with the mmf, do you think the chocolate clay is similair in the ease of covering? i would think it would be more finicky. any thoughts? thanks :biggrin:

#122 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:21 AM

I've just used the wafers. When I add the vanilla/butter powder that you can get from King Arthur's into the wafers, my chocoholic daughter cannot stop eating it.

I did my caterpillar cake with the mmf plus candy clay--I think I used two parts mmf to one part candy clay. Was a wonderful product. Very forgiving. Covered great and those are almost round balls of cake. If I recall I only had one or two creases. That I covered up with decor.

I notice I have to keep it warm more so than regular fondant. But it is more user friendly in that it is longer to crust and just as flexible. And it tastes good like candy. Takes flavorings well.

I think this is easier than plain mmf.

#123 Dailey

Dailey
  • participating member
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:31 AM

thanks kate! that vanilla/butter powder sounds awesome. :wub:

#124 chefpeon

chefpeon
  • participating member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:11 PM

I make my own fondant from marshmallows and I combine this with candy clay. It's easy, inexpensive, handles great and is yumaliscious. But if the cards are stacked against the whole concept...

Hey K8......
I've never tried mixing fondant and modeling chocolate together before (I assume modeling chocolate is what you are referring to, when you say "candy clay"?).

You wouldn't want to share your recipe or methodology, would you? :wub:

#125 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:13 PM

I make my own fondant from marshmallows and I combine this with candy clay. It's easy, inexpensive, handles great and is yumaliscious. But if the cards are stacked against the whole concept...

Hey K8......
I've never tried mixing fondant and modeling chocolate together before (I assume modeling chocolate is what you are referring to, when you say "candy clay"?).

You wouldn't want to share your recipe or methodology, would you? :wub:

View Post

For sure. Clickety then scroll down to post #9. Yes, umm modeling chocolate is candy clay.

#126 Stacey L

Stacey L
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:36 PM

K8, that actually sounds yummy. It also seems that it could add a nice layer to the overall cake/filling flavor without overwhelming it. I'm always happy to revise an opinion. :biggrin:

Edited by Stacey L, 02 August 2006 - 08:47 PM.

#127 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

K8, that actually sounds yummy. It also seems that it could add a nice layer to the overall cake/filling flavor without overwhelming it. I'm always happy to revise an opinion.  :biggrin:

View Post

Cool! It is good.

#128 ruthie jewell

ruthie jewell
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

What about achieving a smooth glassine finish with something like a white chocolate glaze? If the flavor of white chocolate doesn't affect the overall profile of the cake......?

Haven't I seen a recipe for this using clear glaze? Chime in if I'm wrong, but I think it came from a LeNotre class......