Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

You might be a cocktail snob/geek if...

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#31 divalasvegas

divalasvegas
  • participating member
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:37 PM

You know you're a cocktail snob if....................

.................... As you gaze lovingly at your personal collection of premium vodkas--Ketel One, Grey Goose, Chopin, Vox, Belvedere, etc.--AND your "artisinal" vodkas AND your vodkas that you've carefully infused with the finest of ingredients, you die a little inside every time you think of this:

Smirnoff Wins NY Times Taste Test
Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

#32 cocktailgeek

cocktailgeek
  • participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:27 PM

You know you're a cocktail snob if....................

....................  As you gaze lovingly at your personal collection of premium vodkas--Ketel One, Grey Goose, Chopin, Vox, Belvedere, etc.--AND your "artisinal" vodkas AND your vodkas that you've carefully infused with the finest of ingredients, you die a little inside every time you think of this:

Smirnoff Wins NY Times Taste Test

View Post

You know you're a cocktail geek when...

...you don't drink vodka.

If the culinary world were parallel to popular tastes in spirits (i.e. vodka), the hottest restaurants would proudly trot out their latest plates of flavorless tofu with much ado. But before eating, most guests would pour fruit syrup over their dishes, then ooh and aah about how good the tofu is.
Marcovaldo Dionysos
Cocktail Geek
cocktailgeek@yahoo.com

#33 Libationgoddess

Libationgoddess
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:37 PM

...you pay $20 for a drink at the Pegu Club that costs $3.50 anywhere else.

View Post

$20.00?? Um, excuse me, NOT in my house. This is the second time I've seen this misinformation printed. Would someone kindly show me where there is a $20.00 cocktail on our menu?? Not in my lifetime. So uttlerly absurd; like offering an XO & coke. Yea, of course if someone orders a "Hedonisim" Manhattan, but that's solely an upcharge for an already expensive spirit, and the guest's perrogative. Regular drinks for $12, Champagne cocktails for $16.00.

Other than that, tickled-pink and proud to say that we are guilty as charged on all of the above-listed infractions; and loving that it is our fucking perogative. I'm certain that I can also pretty much speak for all of my bartenders here as well. God bless America.

What did we do tonight?? Worked through umpteen different versions of a daiquiri variant (give or take 1 tsp here and there) just to get it right for y'all....

Sniffing down our noses just for you, with enormous amounts of love (and everyone's interests / personal beverage needs / requirements) in our hearts, we remain your faithful beverage servants,

XXXOOOOAudrey

#34 cocktailgeek

cocktailgeek
  • participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:42 AM

You rAWKK, Audrey!
Marcovaldo Dionysos
Cocktail Geek
cocktailgeek@yahoo.com

#35 mbanu

mbanu
  • participating member
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:50 AM

View Post

$20.00?? Um, excuse me, NOT in my house. This is the second time I've seen this misinformation printed. Would someone kindly show me where there is a $20.00 cocktail on our menu?? Not in my lifetime. So uttlerly absurd; like offering an XO & coke. Yea, of course if someone orders a "Hedonisim" Manhattan, but that's solely an upcharge for an already expensive spirit, and the guest's perrogative. Regular drinks for $12, Champagne cocktails for $16.00.

View Post

No worries. They were probably including the tip. :)

Edited by mbanu, 29 June 2006 - 06:51 AM.

#36 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,089 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:21 AM

I don't have any more "you might be" items right now. I'd just like to say that I'm now dreaming of a Hedonism Manhattan.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#37 Cachaca_Dave

Cachaca_Dave
  • participating member
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:37 AM

You know you're a cocktail geek when...

...you don't drink vodka.

If the culinary world were parallel to popular tastes in spirits (i.e. vodka), the hottest restaurants would proudly trot out their latest plates of flavorless tofu with much ado.  But before eating, most guests would pour fruit syrup over their dishes, then ooh and aah about how good the tofu is.

View Post

....When such musings inspire you make doodles like this:

Posted Image

Edited by Cachaca_Dave, 29 June 2006 - 11:47 AM.

#38 donbert

donbert
  • participating member
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:39 AM

I don't have any more "you might be" items right now.  I'd just like to say that I'm now dreaming of a Hedonism Manhattan.

View Post

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. On that note,

...a Hedonism Manhattan sounds appealing to you at 10am.

#39 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,089 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:40 AM

I don't have any more "you might be" items right now.  I'd just like to say that I'm now dreaming of a Hedonism Manhattan.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. On that note,

...a Hedonism Manhattan sounds appealing to you at 10am.

It's always nice to have a super-luxe cocktail for the road before you come home from the bar. :wink:
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#40 phlip

phlip
  • participating member
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

sorry not so great at highlighting parts so i accidentally highlighted the hole above libation goddess comment
.......my point is you may be a cocktail snob/geek if the above mentioned quarter ounce in question is your torment and greatest pleasure
.......youd rather never drink again than drink a vodka tonic or soda even taking into account just how much a cocktail snob/geek enjoys a healthy tipple

#41 Libationgoddess

Libationgoddess
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:29 AM

When you "accidentally" run out of peach liqueur on Saturday nights so you have to "86" it.

No peach liqueur = no Sex On The Beach drinks or "Woo Woo shots.

It does seem to arrive quickly from the distributor for the rest of the week, though. :cool:

Audrey

#42 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:34 AM

View Post

Drool...
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#43 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:12 AM

View Post

...If you wonder whether Hedonism plus vermouth and bitters equals a Manhattan or a Rob Roy.
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#44 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,089 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:15 AM

...if you keep a few promotional bottles of watermelon Pucker in the back just for the giggles.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#45 Libationgoddess

Libationgoddess
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:17 PM

Yea, Rob Roy, of course. I was so deep into my rant at that point that there was just no coming back :laugh: But I think you get the concept.

Audrey

Edited to acclimate to the increased amount of oxygen to my brain after stepping down from the soapbox

#46 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,089 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:42 PM

I don't know about it being a Rob Roy. I mean, Hedonism isn't exactly Scotch. It's a vatted 100% grain whiskey.

On the other hand, it's certainly not rye either. So I guess that makes it not a Manhattan either.

Whatever. I bet it would be awesome, regardless. But also never to be, I think. You'd probably have to go through a bottle of Hedonism to find out which vermouth and bitters to use, and just how much of each, in order to make the perfect drink.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#47 malarkey

malarkey
  • participating member
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:54 PM

talk about cocktails over cocktails with cocktailians.

View Post

cocktailians!! I love it!

you might NOT be a cocktail geek if...
...you get kicked out of the cocktail geek crowd when they discover you don't like campari or frenet branca.

Born Free, Now Expensive

#48 donbert

donbert
  • participating member
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:00 PM

Whatever.  I bet it would be awesome, regardless.  But also never to be, I think.  You'd probably have to go through a bottle of Hedonism to find out which vermouth and bitters to use, and just how much of each, in order to make the perfect drink.

View Post

I'm sure we could round up enough cocktail geeks just here in NYC who would be willing pitch in for a bottle in the same of science and an evening of Hedonism not-Manhattans. Who else is game?

#49 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

View Post

Other than that, tickled-pink and proud to say that we are guilty as charged on all of the above-listed infractions; and loving that it is our fucking perogative. I'm certain that I can also pretty much speak for all of my bartenders here as well. God bless America.

What did we do tonight?? Worked through umpteen different versions of a daiquiri variant (give or take 1 tsp here and there) just to get it right for y'all....

Sniffing down our noses just for you, with enormous amounts of love (and everyone's interests / personal beverage needs / requirements) in our hearts, we remain your faithful beverage servants,

XXXOOOOAudrey

View Post

And this, my friends and fellow cocktailians, is precisely why she's the Goddess. :wub:

WWAD. A question I ask myself with some frequency.

When I grow up, I want to be a goddess like Audrey. For now I'll settle for being a Muse. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#50 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:17 PM

...if you keep a few promotional bottles of watermelon Pucker in the back just for the giggles.

View Post

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#51 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

Yea, Rob Roy, of course.  I was so deep into my rant at that point that there was just  no coming back  :laugh:  But I think you get the concept.

Audrey
[...]

View Post

Well, in your rant, it makes sense that a customer would order a "Hedonism Manhattan".

I doubt many people order Rob Roys* these days.

For the reasons Sam gives, it seemed like an interesting question to me. Is Hedonism a Scotch or is it a Whisky from Scotland, if you catch my drift. Which name is the most appropriate? And then I realized that was a pretty geeky line of thought.

*Bizarrely, when I was 19, or so, I decided Rob Roys would be "my" cocktail. Other people would order Margaritas or Gin and Tonics and I would go with the Rob Roy. Other than sheer perversity, I have no idea where that idea came from. In its previous incarnation as a cheesy Italian Supper Club, Lombardino's used to make a mean one.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#52 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,089 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:32 PM

For the reasons Sam gives, it seemed like an interesting question to me.  Is Hedonism a Scotch or is it a Whisky from Scotland, if you catch my drift.  Which name is the most appropriate?  And then I realized that was a pretty geeky line of thought.

You might be a cocktail geek if...

...you're following that line of thought.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#53 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

Wow, that was an amazingly impenetrable burp of stream of consciousness narration, even for me.

Sorry, it was a busy day at work, and last night's research was taxing.

I eagerly await the verdicts from the various East Coast Hedonism parties.

Scotch or not, I want to know! Is a cocktail made with Hedonism closer to a Manhattan or a Rob Roy? Or does it need a new name.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#54 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:40 AM

If...

You bring your own fresh lime, simple and shakers to parties.

You quote Craddock, Parker and Baker Jr. to people and your friends know the quotes.

The first place you go to in used book stores is the cook book section, and the hair raises on the back of your neck when you see a ratty, red book with Gentlemans...

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

#55 aesthete

aesthete
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

... if you realize, after reading this thread, that you can actually go behind the bar and mix your own drinks!? And bring your own ingredients!? And come to the realization that you can have the best of both worlds: being "out and about" with your friends, and yet still have the drink that only YOU can make to your own specifications?! Priceless.

I always learn something when I come here to visit.

#56 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,089 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:51 PM

...you take your turn with the shaker when you order a Ramos Fizz.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#57 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

It's about a quarter after six on a Friday (yesterday) evening. I'm sitting at a table in the Pegu Club, waiting for my date to meet me.

Suddenly, Johnder materializes by my table. He points to his incredibly lovely wife at the bar, and tells me that slkinsey is in the house, and that he can introduce me.

He introduces me to slkinsey. We then walk to the bar, where I hang out with Johnder and his incredibly lovely wife while waiting for my date to arrive.

My date arrives. We retire to my table.

MY DATE: I see you made some friends while you were waiting for me.

ME: No, I know those people. We talk about cocktails on the internet.

MY DATE: Oh.

After a few cocktails, it comes time for my date and me to leave, to pursue our other planned activities for the night. I stop back at the bar, to say goodbye to Johnder and his incredibly lovely wife.

On the staircase on the way down and out:

MY DATE: How do you know those people, really?

ME: I told you. We talk about cocktails on the internet.

MY DATE: No. I mean, really.

Doesn't seem so hard to believe to me.

Edited by Sneakeater, 30 June 2006 - 09:53 PM.

#58 Dave the Cook

Dave the Cook

Executive Director

• manager
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:20 PM

. . . you could care less about slkinsey, johnder or his incredibly lovely wife. You don't even care all that much about Sneakeater's date. You just want to know what they all had to drink at Pegu Club.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

#59 Snowy is dead

Snowy is dead
  • participating member
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:03 PM

...you buy old cocktail books, jiggers, and glasses on ebay with the same frequency that most people order coffee

#60 Libationgoddess

Libationgoddess
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

Phil just handed me the prettiest Ramos fizz ever. And then he (knowingly) asked, "you wanted the cardamom on top, right? :wub: (it'something I have a weakness for)

yea, when you stare at your cocktail in loving admiration for at least 2 minutes, and then spend a good 10 - 15 seconds nosing it, the way you would smell your newborn nephew / niece, then you know you're in a strange place.

The head....it was like a guinness poking up a good 1/2" over the rim. Pure art.

Audrey