Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Confections! (2006-2012)

Confections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1753 replies to this topic

#1741 Matthew Hayday

Matthew Hayday
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

I did a riff on Greweling's lemon mint ganache recipe to make key lime ganache centres for chocolates. I substituted key lime juice for the lemon juice, and the peel of 4 key limes for the lemon peel. I removed the finely chopped mint, and instead added 6 lime leaves to the cream during the infusion process. Then, I strained out the leaves and the peel after the infusion was complete.

The resulting ganache came out beautifully and I used some of it for centres for moulded chocolates (seen in the picture) and slabbed the rest for hand-dipped chocolates. The texture and flavour on the ganache were both excellent. The key lime flavour holds up well against the dark chocolate, and the lime leaves (which I normally use for Thai cooking) add a nice note of complexity.

Attached Images

• key lime ganache.jpg

#1742 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Matthew, they look great and sound delicious.

#1743 Quesmoy

Quesmoy
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Today was my first attempt at making toffee. It does not look very pretty, but I think it turned out pretty good considering I did not have a candy thermometer. For some reason all my candy thermometers have decided to stop working at the same time.

046.JPG

#1744 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

The important question for many of us is: did it taste good?
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#1745 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

A few chocolates for Thanksgiving. Bourbon ganache, soft caramel, PBJs, and peanut butter cups. Pardon the smudges, truly not visible until I photographed them!

November 2012 Chocolates - small.jpg

#1746 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

Nice chocolates up there, all of you. Heres a bunch of taffies I did recently. It's Lemon, Peach, Strawberry, Raspberry, and Chocolate.

Attached Images

• 2012-11-19_20-10-04_586.jpg
  • 2012-11-19_20-21-33_328.jpg
  • Lemon Taffy.jpg
  • Peach Taffy.jpg
  • Raspberry Taffy.jpg

#1747 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Heres a new one I just tried, sort of an experiment. Blueberry Swirl Rock Candies.

Attached Images

• Blueberry Swirl.jpg

#1748 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

I've been making a variation of Greweling's peanut butter cups, that all my co-workers have been swooning over. I didn't want to fuss around with individual cups so I worked it into a bar confection. Bottom layer, a graham cracker crust made with GC crumbs, a little brown sugar, and a fair amount of brown butter. Mix in the robot coupe until liquified, then pour into the frame to set. Filling is the PB cup filling, with the optional candied peanuts, extra salt, and some crushed up potato chips for extra salty crunchiness. Top layer is 60% ganache, which I'm debating about making lighter or darker (but it is really hard to get constructive feedback when everyone's mouth is full). The whole thing is soft enough at room temp to cut on the guitar (once bottomed with more chocolate), which is a bonus. Served with torched soft marshmallow.

Edited by pastrygirl, 22 November 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#1749 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

Sounds amazingly good!

#1750 Beth Wilson

Beth Wilson
  • participating member
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

I've been making a variation of Greweling's peanut butter cups, that all my co-workers have been swooning over. I didn't want to fuss around with individual cups so I worked it into a bar confection. Bottom layer, a graham cracker crust made with GC crumbs, a little brown sugar, and a fair amount of brown butter. Mix in the robot coupe until liquified, then pour into the frame to set. Filling is the PB cup filling, with the optional candied peanuts, extra salt, and some crushed up potato chips for extra salty crunchiness. Top layer is 60% ganache, which I'm debating about making lighter or darker (but it is really hard to get constructive feedback when everyone's mouth is full). The whole thing is soft enough at room temp to cut on the guitar (once bottomed with more chocolate), which is a bonus. Served with torched soft marshmallow.

This does sound Amazing! Any chance of one staying around long enough to take a photo and post it here. I am dying to see this confection as it seems to hold all of my favourite things in one great package! Yumm!

#1751 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

This does sound Amazing! Any chance of one staying around long enough to take a photo and post it here. I am dying to see this confection as it seems to hold all of my favourite things in one great package! Yumm!

Thanks! I just finished and cut a batch today, I'll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow.

#1752 rajoress

rajoress
  • participating member
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Two of my Thanksgiving offerings this year - dark chocolate trukeys filled with creme de menthe fondant and awesome apple cider caramels from Smitten Kitchen. Thanks for looking!
Ruth

Attached Images

• Thanksgiving 2012.jpg

#1753 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Ruth -- I'm glad to hear those caramels were good - they are on my list of things I'm making to give in a Christmas treat box... And love those turkeys -- adorable!

Edited by Emily_R, 27 November 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#1754 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

After 6 years, this popular topic has so many posts our database server can no longer handle it! This discussion continues in Confections, Part 2!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections