Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Confections! (2006-2012)

Confections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1753 replies to this topic

#1681 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 641 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

I really like that almond dragée recipe though I tend to spice the nuts with chili and salt. Yours look wonderful minas6907.

Hey thanks. Do you add the chili and salt to the syrup?

#1682 koen

koen
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

Wow, I was lured to the topic by the confections of RobertM, and I have to say that those are the most impressive I've ever seen!

#1683 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:40 AM

I really like that almond dragée recipe though I tend to spice the nuts with chili and salt. Yours look wonderful minas6907.

Hey thanks. Do you add the chili and salt to the syrup?

I add multiple coats of spice mix. First layer is sprinkled on the sugar coated almonds (before the sugar cools completely). Additional sprinklings of spice mix are added when you are adding coats of chocolate to the almonds. When you are happy with the flavor, stop adding layers of spice. :smile:

#1684 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 468 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

@Curls - Thank you Donna - I got two new molds at the Candy Show and wanted to try them out - I kind of like the Fire and Ice, but it needs more FIRE...
@Koen - Thank you for the lovely compliment - I'm not trying to be modest, but I do think many who post here have far more talent -

#1685 rajoress

rajoress
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hello all,

First post, although I have to say I've been lurking for probably 5 years! :wub:
Here are some peppermint patties I made for the Jewish new year! The mint fondant is from Greweling's
"at home" book which is one of the recipes I make most out of that book -very easy and always works! I'm constantly trying to be better at hand enrobing, I almost have these without the feet. :-)

Thanks for looking at my humble chocolates - the pics on here amaze me!

Ruth

Attached Images

• peppermint patties.jpg

#1686 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 468 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

Rajoress - those look great! I'm a sucker for mint patties - one of my all time favorites and yours are making me wish they were here in front of me...yum....

#1687 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

For those of you who are curious about the final decoration and fate of the giant fairy fantasy cake, I've detailed it over in Daily Sweets (clicky linky!)
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#1688 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 641 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

Nice cake, I'm loving the sheep!

There was some discussion a few pages back about cottage law, I was just informed it recently passed in California, so that may open up some possibilities for individuals. Me personally, I'd love to do something with various sugar confections, not ready just yet to jump into chocolate.

http://leginfo.legis...tusClient.xhtml

#1689 rajoress

rajoress
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

That cake and all the figures are awesome!

Some gianduja ganache filled chocolate cups - the best compliment was when one of the guests was trying to peel the paper off the cup - there was no paper - cup made by brushing semi-sweet chocolate onto the paper cups then peeling them off. I love doing that but I haven't quite got the knack of a thinner bottom and fatter sides so I get some breakage at the top...! Thanks for looking!
Ruth

#1690 rajoress

rajoress
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

oops - no pic, sorry about that!

Attached Images

• gianduja ganache.jpg

#1691 YetiChocolates

YetiChocolates
  • participating member
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

Nice cake, I'm loving the sheep!

There was some discussion a few pages back about cottage law, I was just informed it recently passed in California, so that may open up some possibilities for individuals. Me personally, I'd love to do something with various sugar confections, not ready just yet to jump into chocolate.

http://leginfo.legis...tusClient.xhtml

Unfortunately the cottage law that just recently passed in Washington does not extend to chocolate at this time. I contacted the woman who did most of the leg work to get the law passed and she said that they were initially hesitant to add chocolate to the list because it's not baked, and so for the time being the only things allowed for home prep are baked goods that are shelf stable after being baked. She said that hopefully by next year they will extend the law and add chocolates to the list. Until then I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

BTW, the Northwest Chocolate Festival is being held in Seattle this weekend, anyone attending? I'm hoping my work schedule will work out that I will be able to!

#1692 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 641 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

I just got done making the Peanut Butter Honey Comb candies from Grewelings book, they came out so nice! I'm very surprised I havent done these earlier. You pretty much make a hard candy base that contains molasses, hence the golden color, cool it down (which was sorta fun in itself since the candy gets the addition of baking soda, making it very foamy) Pull it, wrap the peanut butter filling in the larger portion of candy to make a tube, and carefully stretch it out and fold back onto itself, so you get peanut butter carefully encased in a hard candy. After that, take another portion of the candy, make a jacket around that log, and pull and cut.

The texture is absolutely wonderful, much nicer then I was expecting. On the outside you get a bite because of the thin candy jacket, but the inside has perfect crunch, sort of like a butter finger, but a littler finer. My next project will be the Leaf Croquant, which I feel much more comfortable doing after trying this one.

Attached Images

• Peanut Butter Honey Comb  Candy.jpg

#1693 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

minas6907, beautiful peanut butter honey combs! I have been eyeing that recipe for awhile... how long did they take you to make?

I made some more chocolates this weekend: raspberry ganache - fluted top, brown sugar salted caramel - swirl, coffee ganache - windmill, chocolate nougat - rectangle.

IMG_6613 - September2012Box - small.jpg

Edited by curls, 02 October 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#1694 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

Someone is getting an exquisite and delicious gift.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#1695 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

I made some more chocolates this weekend: raspberry ganache - fluted top, brown sugar salted caramel - swirl, coffee ganache - windmill, chocolate nougat - rectangle.

Donna, those look beautiful! The windmill mold is adorable! :wub:

How do you make your raspberry ganache?

#1696 rajoress

rajoress
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

I LOVE that windmill mold - do you mind telling us where you got it? Your chocolates look beautiful and sound delicious!

#1697 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

Thanks Darienne, Diana, and rajoress. The windmill mold is Chocolate World mold 1100. I purchased it from Tomric for those in Canda, Chocolat-Chocolat also carries it.
I based the raspberry ganache off of a recipe from Roland Mesnier's Dessert University book. It turned out rather well, still waiting to see if the flavor lasts for two to three weeks or if it fades.

#1698 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 641 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

I have been eyeing that recipe for awhile... how long did they take you to make?

Hey Thanks, glad you liked them. It took probably an hour and a half total. If your familiar with doing pulled sugar, its no biggie. Just make sure your have a way of keeping the sugar warm, I use an oven set to 225f, though I think I may get a few more heat lamps (one heat lamp doesnt keep it warm enough) so I dont have to do the oven thing. Its pretty easy encasing the peanut butter mixture and pulling it over and over with out it coming out, then you just wrap that log in a jacket and start pulling. Its fun, I'd definitely make it again, and especially after making so much pulled hard candy, the butterfinger like crunch is very appealing.

#1699 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

No pictures sadly - but last night I enrobed about 600 oreos and half enrobed about 350 biscotti. Luxury Chocolate Show is coming up in Toronto at the beginning of November and we will be having people decorate these. We'll also give demo of some sort - still in the planning stages.

#1700 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

No pictures sadly - but last night I enrobed about 600 oreos and half enrobed about 350 biscotti. Luxury Chocolate Show is coming up in Toronto at the beginning of November and we will be having people decorate these. We'll also give demo of some sort - still in the planning stages.

So... is it possible to half enrobe with your enrober or did you half enrobe the biscotti by hand?

#1701 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

I had an attachment made for the enrober that splits the stream of chocolate. That way I can run the biscotti down the middle and only half gets enrobed.

Video here 5:38 shows the attachment.

#1702 AlenChris

AlenChris
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

Some things I've been playing with, Red Wine; a chili infused piece I call Fire and Ice; Guinness and a version of a Hella (from Wyabau)

I like the red wine. Looks delicious and totally mouth watering.

#1703 Prabha

Prabha
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

Thanks Darienne, Diana, and rajoress. The windmill mold is Chocolate World mold 1100. I purchased it from Tomric for those in Canda, Chocolat-Chocolat also carries it.
I based the raspberry ganache off of a recipe from Roland Mesnier's Dessert University book. It turned out rather well, still waiting to see if the flavor lasts for two to three weeks or if it fades.

I'd love to try the raspberry ganache too. Does it use puree?
I'm in the market for some molds, and all of yours look very nice. Could you also post the numbers for the fluted one and the swirl?

#1704 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:52 AM

http://www.soulheali...ry Jam Truffles Truffles by Hank Friedman. I can't speak to any of the recipes except the one for the Raspberry truffles. Raspberry is my go to flavor and I love the ganache this man makes. It couldn't be any more raspberryish. :wub: :wub:
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#1705 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

I had an attachment made for the enrober that splits the stream of chocolate. That way I can run the biscotti down the middle and only half gets enrobed.

Video here 5:38 shows the attachment.

I watched just a couple of minutes of the video. Sweet. Oh, so sweet. Lucky you. But then if anyone ever deserved an enrober, it's got to be you.

Edited by Darienne, 03 October 2012 - 05:56 AM.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#1706 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

I'd love to try the raspberry ganache too. Does it use puree?
I'm in the market for some molds, and all of yours look very nice. Could you also post the numbers for the fluted one and the swirl?

Mesnier's raspberry ganache recipe uses puree and jam.
The fluted mould is Chocolate World 1336 and the swirl mould is Chocolate World 1140. You might also want to check out Martellato's moulds, they have a USA storefront now.

#1707 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

the video was really fun to watch, thanks Kerry! Rather amazing- and a dream come true! Bottom enrobing looked a bit messy as did truffles-at least it would be for me. I guess practice makes perfect!! How will folks decorate the cookies?

#1708 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

the video was really fun to watch, thanks Kerry! Rather amazing- and a dream come true! Bottom enrobing looked a bit messy as did truffles-at least it would be for me. I guess practice makes perfect!! How will folks decorate the cookies?

Yeah, they really made bottom enrobing look terrible in that video - other videos make it look better. I had the machine shop make me a bottomer too - just haven't gotten around to playing with it yet.

#1709 Prabha

Prabha
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

The fluted mould is Chocolate World 1336 and the swirl mould is Chocolate World 1140. You might also want to check out Martellato's moulds, they have a USA storefront now.

Thanks Donna. I like Chocolate World molds (1000 series) because they are small enough to fit in my hand. Three cavities across works much better for me than four.

#1710 prairiegirl

prairiegirl
  • participating member
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Lana came to Calgary and brought some very delicious chocolates. They really are very very good. Excellent texture. The flavour profile of what i sampled is divine.

Attached Images

• Lana.jpg

Edited by prairiegirl, 05 October 2012 - 02:02 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections