Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Candied Citrus Peel - The Topic

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#61 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:51 AM

Maybe try to get rid of more of the pith? I scraped my candied citrus peels until I hit the colour.

View Post

For all candied citrus peels (orange, lemon, grapefruit and - best of all - pomelo I leave a 1/4 inch of pith. The texture of the pith makes the peels much more interesting but to remove the zest makes no sense whatsoever.

View Post

The zest is borderline on not tasting good.

It makes sense to make something tasty to eat not scary to eat.

#62 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:23 PM

Maybe try to get rid of more of the pith? I scraped my candied citrus peels until I hit the colour.

View Post

For all candied citrus peels (orange, lemon, grapefruit and - best of all - pomelo I leave a 1/4 inch of pith. The texture of the pith makes the peels much more interesting but to remove the zest makes no sense whatsoever.

View Post

The zest is borderline on not tasting good.

It makes sense to make something tasty to eat not scary to eat.

View Post

I mean the after taste is not cool. Musta screwed it up. But I mean I will put the zest in the pot to boil, I'm gonna try some without the tippy outside zest just to see how it does.

My kid is here, I'll make her eat a piece...

edited to say: :laugh: I was watching her when she didin't think I was watching her--you should have seen her eyes. lol
There's something wrong with this batch or I don't care for this. I love grapefruit everything though. Is it supposed to be almost bitter?

???

Edited by K8memphis, 21 June 2006 - 01:27 PM.

#63 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:44 PM

I par-boil the peel until it has lost the bitterness. Some take longer than others. Only then do I add the peel to the syrup and begin the candying process. Sometimes it takes 8 par-boiling sessions.

With very thick rinds, I do trim the white pith down a bit, however I usually keep it about 1/4 inch thick.

With Pomelos, that have extremely thick pith, you have to cut off a lot.
Some grapefruit varieties do work better than others. One particular "white" variety which is sometimes available here in southern California is the rather seedy Duncan. It has a much better flavor and the skin is a bit milder in flavor than the hybrid varieties such as Marsh.
There is a new hybrid called Mellogold that is exceptionally sweet.

Of the "pink" varieties, I like the Red Blush best.
The OroBlanco, which is a grapefruit/pomelo cross is very good for candied peel.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#64 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:09 PM

Thank you, Andie, for the grapefruit wisdom. I'll try to find some of those varieties. Very helpful information. I appreciate it.

#65 aidensnd

aidensnd
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:13 PM

I've found that the trick to candying citrus rind/peel is the parboiling. The more bitter the peel the more times you need to boil/rinse it. For orange peels I'll boil them 4-5 times, each time starting again in cold water. And the last time adding just a bit of sugar. For something like grapefruit I would go at least 6-8 times. If the peel is still bitter after the parboiling it won't really get any better once you start candying it. The sugar might hide some of the bitterness but if there is bitterness left you aren't going to eliminate it with sugar.

#66 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:28 AM

Yeah, I had a real good eating brand of Texas red -- I don't remember what kind it was but it was a real good variety for eating anyway. And deep down in the dusty inner recesses of my brain, I knew that 4 times was not very many, but I had such a good grapefruit, I wasn't listening to myself. I just followed the recipe and it said 4 times. Duh on me. But screwing up is such a good way to never forget how to do it right next time. The recipe should have been as clear as you were about it though.

I always say I've done everything wrong at least once...here's another one to add to my list. :rolleyes:

But my little (grapefruit peel) stars are very pretty anyway. If not a little deadly too. :laugh: They'll make a beautiful garnish when I get it right. I take a small star cutter and mash it down in to the peel with a flat spoon, one of those cool Asian spoons. Easy peasy and pretty.

Thank you, Andie! You've helped me immeasurably.

#67 Tweety69bird

Tweety69bird
  • participating member
  • 462 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:44 AM

What if you dip your pretty stars in chocolate so that the sweetness of the chocolate will balance out the bitterness of the peel? Might make them more palatable?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

#68 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:19 AM

What if you dip your pretty stars in chocolate so that the sweetness of the chocolate will balance out the bitterness of the peel? Might make them more palatable?

View Post

That's the plan for some of the next batch that I will par-boil long enough.

What kind of chocolate do you all think? Bittersweet chocolate was what was recommended in the recipe.

#69 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:19 AM

View Post

What kind of chocolate do you all think? Bittersweet chocolate was what was recommended in the recipe.

View Post

Bittersweet is the best with fruit peels in my book.

#70 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:23 AM

i actually like milk chocolate with grapefruit. because the peel is likely more bitter than other peels, i think the sweetness of milk chocolate goes well with it. use a darker milk than just plain. i think valrhona lactee is 38% or something like that. it isn't too sweet, but won't fight with the grapefruit peel either.

#71 Tweety69bird

Tweety69bird
  • participating member
  • 462 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:57 AM

View Post

View Post

Yeah, I would go with milk to get more sweetness when paired with the grapefruit. You have enough bitter, no? :raz: I'd use dark with orange though.
Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

#72 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:54 PM

Here is another tip. If you can find powdered alum (or lump alum which you have to crush) soak the peel in cold water into which you have mixed a teaspoon of alum per quart, for at least 3 hours.

Then rinse repeatedly in cold water before you begin your par-boiling.

The alum will remove some of the bitterness and will keep the structure of the peel from getting too soft.

This is generally used for citron, which is pretty bitter anyway, and it seems to work well with particularly bitter grapefruit.

I've used it for candying limes, which turn gray if not treated with alum (sometimes they turn gray anyway but that is just a quirk of those particular limes).

My aunt adds a pinch of "bicarb" (baking soda) to the first batch of par-boiling water, but I have never tried this myself and have no direct evidence that it works.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

#73 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

Thank you all, Tweety, Alana, Andie and Kerry.

Oh oh oh orange flavored chocolate??? Great idea.

And I kind of like the bicarb idea. If I can find the same grapefruits I might try that. Alum, huh? lots of great grapefruit wisdom.

Very funny, Tweety, yes I got plenty of the bitter! :laugh:

Thanks again.

#74 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:21 PM

In the past several weeks, someone had a thread on making large amounts of candied orange peel. I can't seem to locate it, does anyone remember this topic?

Thanks
Mark
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#75 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

In the past several weeks, someone had a thread on making large amounts of candied orange peel. I can't seem to locate it, does anyone remember this topic?

Thanks
Mark

View Post

I recall seeing one about ginger, but not about orange rind. I have e-mailed you the recipe that I use for orange rind, let me know if you have any questions. It doesn't really require you to have a specific gravitometer, just follow the number of minutes of boiling and it should turn out fine.

#76 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:40 PM

Kerry

Thanks I will try it out. I assume you let the sugar solution & peels cool completely between each boiling.?

Do you know the name of the 1 on ginger?

Mark

Edited by mrose, 17 December 2006 - 07:46 PM.

Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#77 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:11 PM

Kerry

Thanks I will try it out. I assume you let the sugar solution & peels cool completely between each boiling.?

Do you know the name of the 1 on ginger?

Mark

View Post

Not sure of the thread but Andiesenji has the recipe in recipeGullet. I'll see if I can find the link.

Andiesenji's recipe in recipeGullet

Link from Andiesenji to Melinda Lee site

One of the threads on DIY candied fruit

I think if you PM Andiesenji she can probably link you to the appropriate threads. The whole crockpot thing looks great. I plan to try it as soon as I see the young ginger in the asian market.

#78 Chef Bradley

Chef Bradley
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:24 PM

I plan to try it as soon as I see the young ginger in the asian market.

I found young thai ginger in the frozen section of my local asian market. Goes by the name of "Galangel" if you're curious.

Also, thanks for the link to DIY candies fruits, very handy :)

Edited by Chef Bradley, 17 December 2006 - 08:24 PM.

#79 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

I plan to try it as soon as I see the young ginger in the asian market.

I found young thai ginger in the frozen section of my local asian market. Goes by the name of "Galangel" if you're curious.

Also, thanks for the link to DIY candies fruits, very handy :)

View Post

I use galangel for other purposes, never thought of candying it. Wonder how it would taste?

#80 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:53 PM

Galangal is related to ginger and the flavor is somewhat similar but it is different and I have found it to be milder.
Galangal, lesser and greater.

This topicArtisanal Christmas prezzies,
has my method of getting the peel off the orange in detailed photos in post # 163

I have been using this method for many years. Someone showed me how to do it this way a long, long time ago and I thought this was the way everyone did it when harvesting the peel for candying.

For small batches of candied peel, this method is very handy.
My method for candied citrus peel in the microwave.

Edited by andiesenji, 17 December 2006 - 08:57 PM.

#81 Pan

Pan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

I find galangal VERY different from ginger, and way more aromatic! It is not the same at all! I agree with Andie that it's "milder" in the sense of not being "hot and spicy," but otherwise, I find its taste stronger!

#82 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:50 PM

Pan,
Have you ever noticed an "earthy" flavor in fresh galangal? I agree with you that it imparts a lot of flavor for the amount used, but it lacks the "bite" that I prefer in fresh ginger.
(I don't like pu-erh tea either.)

I buy the dried galangal rhizome, store it in a vacuum bag in the freezer, and grate it when needed.
I like the flavor of the dried much more than I like the fresh, just the opposite of ginger.

Edited by andiesenji, 18 December 2006 - 07:51 PM.

#83 Pan

Pan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:59 PM

Yes, definitely an earthy taste, which I like.

#84 Sararwelch

Sararwelch
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

I candied orange peel using the microwave recipe posted a while back, and it came out great. I tried to use the same recipe to candy buddha's hand, that didn't work as well. The buddha's hand was still really bitter at the end of the process, and when I tried to cook it for a few minutes longer, it burned.

I candied meyer lemon peel a few days ago - it's good, but very different than the orange peel. The texture is much softer, and there's still a hint of bitterness at the end.

Is candied citrus peel supposed to be soft or firm? Should there be any bitterness at all? Are there any guidelines for stuff like this?

#85 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:57 PM

It is the pre-cooking in several changes of water that removes much of the bitterness. There should still be a bit, that enhances the flavor - as in marmalade made with Seville oranges.
You might try a tiny pinch of kosher salt in the water. I use a pinch when I do grapefruit peel if it is particularly bitter. I also cut off a little piece and bite into it to see how it tastes before I put it into the syrup.

#86 Sararwelch

Sararwelch
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:11 AM

If it's still too bitter after the three rinses, should I microwave it again for 10 min and rinse? The buddha's hand was pretty bitter even after 3 rinses.

#87 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:34 AM

Just a note that I've merged several candied citrus peel topics here.

#88 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:44 PM

If it's still too bitter after the three rinses, should I microwave it again for 10 min and rinse? The buddha's hand was pretty bitter even after 3 rinses.

View Post

Sorry to answer so late. I was away from home much of the day.

I sometimes have to use 5 or 6 changes of water to lessen the bitterness in some fruits.

Pomelo is often tricky and I have to trim off a lot of the white part.
The worst problem I ever had was with some bitter oranges - the grafted parts had died back after a freeze and new growth from the root stock was the original bitter orange - absolutely full of seeds but the skin was exceptionally aromatic - as I have found Buddah's Hand lemons to be. It has been a few years but I think after 6 sessions of boiling, I ended up tossing the peel with pickling lime and leaving it overnight, then rinsing and boiling one more time and that smoothed out the sharp bitterness without losing the orangy flavor.

You could also try leaving it in the syrup at room temp overnight, then bringing it to a boil again then letting it cool before removing from the syrup.

#89 Sararwelch

Sararwelch
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:02 PM

I candied my buddha's hand - I changed the water six times, and used a little kosher salt for the first boil. I let it sit in the syrup for a few hours. It's delicious!

#90 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:48 AM

Congratulations! A job well done.

Have you tried dipping part of the candied citrus in chocolate?

I received a PM this evening from a person on another forum who said she had successfully candied lime peel. I have never had much luck with lime peel, it always seems to turn a rather unappetizing gray during the simmering in the syrup. When I prepare lime marmalade I practically shave the slices and the tiny thread of peel becomes transparent. I don't understand the chemistry that gives this result.