Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Candied Citrus Peel - The Topic

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#31 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,363 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:03 PM

First, I don't use orange juice in the syrup because I think it makes a less translucent product and it doesn't get dry enough for coating with granulated sugar for eating out of hand. if you are just using it in cooking, it might be fine, but I have no experience with it.
I aim for an appearance of something that looks like stained glass.

When I make it, I make it in larger batches, using a Pyrex "visions" Dutch oven, the biggest one. However I have a very large microwave, a 2 cf one.

I suggested you make a small batch so you can see if you like the texture of the resulting product, prior to making a larger batch.

For the blanching, I simply taste the peel to see if the white part is no longer bitter, is soft and beginning to look slightly translucent instead of completely opaque.

In the larger batches I cook it for longer as more liquid volume takes longer to come to a boil.

15-18 minutes for each blanching and 15 minutes for each session in the syrup.

I buy large navel oranges, with quite thick skin, if I can find them.
I prepare them as a production line.
First I top and tail all of them them, cutting off the top and bottom about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from each end, then use a soup spoon with a rouded tip and push down between the flesh and the rind all the way around, both top and bottom until the rind is completely free of the flesh - then I make one vertical cut and open the rind up into a long flat strip which is then easy to cut crosswise into uniform strips.

I have found that using this method I can prepare more peel than any other method I have tried over the 40+ years I have been doing this.

regarding the syrup, you can use whatever ratio works for you. The traditional candying method is to use 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. I have found that 1 to 1 works just as well.
However, lesser concentrations of sugar does not completely candy the fruit and does not preserve it as well. If you are not going for complete preservation where it can be stored at room temperature, you will probably be okay with a lower ratio of sugar to water but if you are going to hold it for awhile you should probably use more sugar.

When I make candied whole fruits I start with a thinner syrup and work through a series of stronger concentrations of sugar because I have learned that I end up with better preservation. The point is to replace much of the liquid in the cells with sugar and that requires a certain concentration in the liquid.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#32 M. Lucia

M. Lucia
  • participating member
  • 580 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:53 PM

I usually blanch my peel 3-4 times. It's ok if there is a little bit of bitterness left, it will be masked by the sugar.

Also, I add a touch of orange flower water to my syrup, I think it gives it a more complex flavor.

Thanks for the tip about how to peel the oranges, andie, I always have these little pieces that break off, so I will try that method next time.

#33 chiantiglace

chiantiglace
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:52 AM

you've been using a microwave since 1965, and your what 60 yrs old on a culinary forum. I applaud your persistence in the modern world.

just blanch the orange peel until them seem to become a slight bit translucent. You will tend to notice a slight orange aroma surrounding you as well. The peels might even curl up about 20%.
Dean Anthony Anderson
"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This
Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

#34 taylor214

taylor214
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:03 PM

Hi Everyone!

I'm making some Chocolate Grand Marnier Truffles this week and would like to put a small sliver of candied orange peel on the top of each truffle. I'm looking for a good candied orange peel recipe.

I tried using the search feature on the site, but I must not be using it correctly or with enough specifics because when typing in Candied Orange, I hit a ton of threads, but nothing seemed that applicable. So, if this topic has been discussed, please point me in that direction or if someone can give me some tips on searching on the site, I will gladly look for the topic if it has been discussed.

Thanks in advance!

#35 SuzySushi

SuzySushi
  • participating member
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:12 PM

Here's one recipe link. I Googled "candied orange peel" recipes.
SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."
My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

#36 onehsancare

onehsancare
  • participating member
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:25 AM

I was frustrated by searching, too, but I think I've figured out how to get what I want:

I start with the "Search" botton at the very top of the eGullet screen. That gets you to the search function with more options. One of the options is "Show results as posts." Toggle that, and you'll get just the posts in which your search terms actually appear, not the entire thread which may contain only one post you want.
Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

#37 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,363 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:30 AM

I didn't see this thread when it was first posted.
I will PM you later today, after I get home from work, and tell you about my method of making candied orange peel in the microwave, it is quick and easy and great for making a small batch for a particular recipe.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

#38 taylor214

taylor214
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:59 PM

great! thank you!

#39 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,363 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:54 AM

I have posted my method/recipe for microwave candied citrus peel in RecipeGullet, just in case anyone wants a quick and easy way to make just a little.

#40 LoveToEatATL

LoveToEatATL
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:55 AM

I tried to make these the other day and they just didn't turn out.

Maybe I cooked the sugar too long, but when it came time to roll them in sugar they looked fine but after drying they were wet and limp, as if they had soaked up all the sugar.

It was also a terribly humid day. Could that have contributed to the sugar not staying dry?

Does anyone have a great recipe for these?

Thanks!
Patti Davis
www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

#41 chiantiglace

chiantiglace
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:59 AM

your not cooking your sugar syrup enough.

bring peel's to a boil three to six times in replacing water to eliminate bitterness

dry the peels and bring simple syrup to a boil. Right before candy stage, or when the bubbles start comming up slow, just before caramel stage toss in your peel.

turn off and and toss the peel around just slightly not to put air into the sugar.

use tongs to pull the peel our and lay on a mat/pan covered with sugar.

Let rest for a few moments and then roll/toss in the sugar.

set aside to cool
Dean Anthony Anderson
"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

#42 LoveToEatATL

LoveToEatATL
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:11 PM

your not cooking your sugar syrup enough. 

bring peel's to a boil three to six times in replacing water to eliminate bitterness

dry the peels and bring simple syrup to a boil.  Right before candy stage, or when the bubbles start comming up slow, just before caramel stage toss in your peel.

turn off and and toss the peel around just slightly not to put air into the sugar.

use tongs to pull the peel our and lay on a mat/pan covered with sugar.

Let rest for a few moments and then roll/toss in the sugar.

set aside to cool

View Post

Terrific. Thanks!

Have you tried this with whole slices before? I saw Emeril do it the other night on his show.
Patti Davis

#43 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:50 PM

Well there's a bunch of different ways to do it.

I actually like to cany whole slices, and then cut away the rind/peel leaving only the star-shaped translucent flesh. When I do that I usually throw the slices in much earlier (as soon as the syrup boils) because I want there to be time for the flesh to really confeit. Of course, I then end up throwing the peels away, so I guess this is kinda irrelevant where your question is concerned. :raz:

#44 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:01 PM

Lovetoeat, where in Atlanta did you find the orange for this? I thought it was supposed to be untreated to be safe/good.

jason

#45 Truffle Guy

Truffle Guy
  • participating member
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:33 AM

I tried to make these the other day and they just didn't turn out.

Maybe I cooked the sugar too long, but when it came time to roll them in sugar they looked fine but after drying they were wet and limp, as if they had soaked up all the sugar.

It was also a terribly humid day.  Could that have contributed to the sugar not staying dry?

Does anyone have a great recipe for these?

Thanks!

View Post

Hey there LoveToEatATL,

Not sure what recipe you are using, I've tried many different ones and the best results I have gotten are in boiling the orange slices in water 3-4 times, using cold water each time and then simmering in a sugar/Grand Marnier or Cointreau syrup for about an hour then coating in sugar. I don't have the recipe here but can send if you are interested. I've also found if you boil them too long, they can begin to fall apart and get mushy so it takes a good balance. The oranges you use will also impact how successful you are, if they are too thin skinned, they will not turn out as well. My best results were using "mutant" California Oranges (they were very large and thick skinned) even though I live in Florida. Let me know if you want the recipe or I can post later.

#46 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:35 AM

Truffle Guy, we never turn down the offer for a good recipe here. Would you please post in thread so all can see?

Thanks

#47 LoveToEatATL

LoveToEatATL
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:31 PM

Lovetoeat, where in Atlanta did you find the orange for this? I thought it was supposed to be untreated to be safe/good.

jason

View Post

Yikes, Jason! I just picked up some at Publix that looked really good.

Just as well it didn't turn out! LOL.
Patti Davis

#48 cherimoya

cherimoya
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:26 PM

Hi. I have never candied peel before, but I would like to try my hand at candied orange peel, to use in the florentine recipe from Herme's Chocolate book. In his recipe for candied peel, he instructs "cut off wide bands of peel ... making certain that as you cut, you include a sliver of fruit as well". In Dessert Circus, Torres says to remove the fruit and treat the pith as a whole. I am not a big consumer of candied peel so I guess I always assumed that you would remove the pith. If you do keep the pith and a sliver of fruit attached to the peel, are you supposed to remove it before any end use? Thanks in advance for your input.

#49 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:47 PM

The pith is perfectly edible. The point of the blanching is to remove it's bitterness.

#50 cherimoya

cherimoya
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Seth. What about keeping some of the flesh of the fruit attached? Would you recommend this? Is there a danger that it won't candy properly because of a higher water content?

#51 cherimoya

cherimoya
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:09 PM

Sorry. I just went back and read your earlier post where you said that you actually prefer the flesh to the peel. I guess I will just go ahead and try the Herme recipe.

#52 Rehovot

Rehovot
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:08 AM

I keep meaning to try andiesenji's recipe for microwaved candied citrus peel; other eGers have had great success with it...... You might give it a try.

#53 chiantiglace

chiantiglace
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:44 AM

i dont know Herme's recipe for candied orange peel with the orange flesh attatched because I only have his chocolate book, but it sounds, considering the flesh, that its actually orange confit? Depending on the method in which you are preparing this recipe. Candied orange peel is rather simple. Infact it could take me about 5 minutes to throw some together. But if its confit than thats much more elaborate procedure. Even though its extremely similar, the time frame and consistency is not.
Dean Anthony Anderson

#54 cherimoya

cherimoya
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:43 PM

That recipe is in his chocolate book (p. 257).

#55 chiantiglace

chiantiglace
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:55 PM

Ok, yes i just read it. Sorry I overlooked it, I should have known that recipe was in there.

That IS orange confit. Inwhich it is slow cooked and stored in its own juices. Meaning the juice from the orange "flesh". This isnt the same thing as the candied orange peel we discussed in other threads aswell as the beginning of this thread. You can find many other recipes similar to this just by looking up orange confit. It has basically the same principles as Duck Confit in which the duck is cooked and stored in its own fat (delicous) which practically makes its storage life indefinate :raz: if frozen, ha.
Dean Anthony Anderson

#56 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:02 AM

Umm, mine came out a bit tangy--the zest is almost bitter. Do you usually remove the zest? None of my recipes say to do that. Plus I'm gonna drain some & sugar them & see if that doesn't help.

Now I boiled & rinsed mine four times, but on the final slow cook, the syrup boiled down too low--that might be the problem. I fell asleep or I'd have added more.

But just checking if you remove the grapefruit zest before making yours. I made adorable little stars. They just taste like sh*t-- :laugh: No they are not that bad--but should they be that uber tangy???

Thanks

#57 Tweety69bird

Tweety69bird
  • participating member
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:17 AM

I've never seen a recipe that said to remove the zest. Wouldn't that ruin the purpose of candying the peel? I mean, all white peel wouldn't look as pretty, and it's more the white pith that is the bitter part, not the peel. Maybe the next time you could boil the peels 5 times instead of 4? See how they taste after you've let them dry and crystalize a bit.
Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

#58 jenc

jenc
  • participating member
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:27 AM

Maybe try to get rid of more of the pith? I scraped my candied citrus peels until I hit the colour.
foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

#59 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:40 AM

The pith tastes great--it all turns red--and is smooth and wonderful tasting. Yeah I was surprised that the zest itself--the outside of the peel is uber tang. I'm gonna get some out & sugar it & see how it does.

The pith is bitter in real life but after the multiple boilings, rinses & then the boiling 2 hour bath in the simple syrup, the pith is wonderful.

I need to do it again and I will do some with zest, some without zest and make sure it does not boil down--that had to hurt it some.

Yes and I'm gonna boil & rinse a few extra times too, good idea.

Thanks JenC and Karyn.

#60 Ruth

Ruth
  • participating member
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

Maybe try to get rid of more of the pith? I scraped my candied citrus peels until I hit the colour.

View Post

For all candied citrus peels (orange, lemon, grapefruit and - best of all - pomelo I leave a 1/4 inch of pith. The texture of the pith makes the peels much more interesting but to remove the zest makes no sense whatsoever.
Ruth Friedman