Well, Klary, it turns out that my crepe karma was much better than my blender karma, and I took care of two batches of batter this morning. I used the recipes that Sam supplied on page 2 for each of the batters.
First off, the non-sweet version:
I used a 10" non-stick Calphalon pan. For the first one, I brushed the pan with melted butter (barely any). For the second, I didn't. I returned to brushing the pan with every crepe. Apparently, some oil is pretty key. I think I'll get myself a steel crepe pan because I'm sure that the residual oil on the seasoned pan is most helpful. And, after the first crepe, I did thin the batter out with about a tablespoon of water.
A nice stack of these. Other than number 2, every single one came out perfect.
So, I moved on to the sweet version, which proved to be a different animal to cook.
As you can see, these cooked up much darker.
They were also much more difficult to turn, and they needed to have a spatula run around the whole thing -- there was much more of a sticking problem, and after the first few, I switched to an 8" pan which made them much easier to work with.
Following Sam's lead, I put them on a dishtowel and then transfered them to a cooling rack before stacking. Both stacks are sitting happily in the fridge in plastic wrap (in fact, dealing with the plastic wrap was probably the most difficult part of the whole thing). The boys found that just plain, with a tiny dusting of powdered sugar that these were awesome!
This was really fun! I'll use some of the sweet ones for dessert, and we'll have savory crepes for dinner tomorrow night.