Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Stomping Through the "Savoy" (2006–2007)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
609 replies to this topic

#211 eje

eje
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:09 AM

This is a charming story, but alas it is most unlikely that it has the added advantage of being true. I'll save specifics for my book, but it should be noted that nowhere did Thomas actually claim to have invented the drink, while others did claim it with some degree of plausibility.
[...]
I wish I could post film here....

View Post

Yes, this particular telling does seem to have a mythic element, which made me question its veracity. You will note that I was at pains to say things like, "According to..." and "...attributes to...".

Still, a very compelling story, that I think does capture a vivid picture of the mid-19th century saloon. Or if you want to get really persnickety, a vivid picture of the mid-20th century idea of what it was like in a mid-19th century saloon.
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#212 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

Posted Image

Blue Monday
[...]

View Post

That does have a beautiful hue.

One slightly odd thing about the Blue Monday...

In "The Official Mixer's Manual" Patrick Duffy gives it the alternate name Caucasian. He also states the Blue Vegetable Extract is optional. Not sure if he means the drink is a Caucasion if it doesn't have the coloring.

In "The Big Lebowski" the Cohen Brothers have their character "The Dude" refer to his White Russians as Caucasians. Though, I wonder if that is because the character seems to be leaving out the Coffee Liqueur and just making them with cream and vodka. Am I remembering that right?
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#213 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:48 AM

Blue Train

¼ lemon juice (20ml freshly squeezed lemon juice)
¼ Cointreau (20ml Cointreau)
½ dry Gin (40ml Tanqueray)
1 Dash Blue Vegetable Extract (1 drops Queen Blue food colour)
[...]

View Post

Researching the Blue Train Special for tonight...

I came across a recipe for the Blue Train Cocktail which contains violet liqueur. In this case, I see the cocktaildb recipe calls for a dash of the now defunct "Creme Yvette".

Another parallel with the Aviation! Main difference again being the Cointreau vs. Maraschino.

The cocktaildb is so cool! If only it included the specific source for each recipe... Cocktaildb v.2?

Edited by eje, 07 February 2007 - 12:37 PM.

---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#214 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

Posted Image

Blue Train Special Cocktail (for 6)(2 -eje)

Fill the shaker with cracked ice and pour into it 1 glass of Brandy (1 oz Korbel VSOP) and 1 glass Pineapple Syrup (3/4 oz pineapple juice, 3 tsp superfine sugar, stir to dissolve).  Shake carefully, and then add 3 glasses of Champagne (3 oz Segura Viudas Brut Reserva Cava).  Give one or two more shakes and serve without further delay.

As usual, I am halving the recipe by assuming two ounces per "glass" and then making half. This one seemed a bit small.

I'll give decoding this my best.

Blue Train likely candidates.

1) South African luxury train.
2) Train from Paris to Calais, "Le Train Bleu".
3) "Splendid Belle Epoque restaurant in the heart of the Gare de Lyon railway station." Also, "Le Train Bleu".

You may remember a certain Barney Barnato from the Barney Barnato Cocktail. When Barney Barnato died, he left his two year old son an heir to his millions. When this son, (Joel) Woolf Barnato, grew up, he became quite the bon vivant. His enthusiasms included car racing, Bentleys, drinking, and parties. He and his friends were called "The Bentley Boys". They competed in various European motor races. In fact, Woolf Barnato won the Le Mans race three times out of three starts, a record that has not been beaten to this day.

In March of 1930, Woolf Barnato was at a party in Cannes. Some speculation arose about the speed of the cars among the attendees. Many wondered if it was possible for someone to race the famous express rail, "Le Train Bleu," and beat it from Paris to Calais. Woolf pooh poohed this idea, and said his custom Bentley could get to London before the train got to Calais. Bets were laid and Woolf wagered 200 pounds he could get to his favorite club in London before The Blue Train arrived in Calais.

The next day, when "Le Train Bleu" left the Paris station, with the assistance of a second driver, Barnato departed simultaneously. Barnato reached Calais the next morning at 10:30 AM, and took his car on the ferry across the channel. He arrived at the Conservative Club on St. James Street 4 minutes before the Blue Train arrived in Calais.

I would guess a champagne cocktail or two might be in order.

From then on he called his custom Bentley "The Blue Train Special". He even had a bar built into the dashboard.

The cocktail is rather tastier than I expected. Sweet, fizzy, and slightly exotic. Just the ticket for a Bright Young Thing during London's exuberant 30s.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#215 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

Posted Image

Blues Cocktail (for 6)(2 - eje)

Take 4 Glasses of Whisky. (4 oz Bernheim Wheat Whiskey)
1 Glass of Curacao. (1 oz Brizard Orange Curacao)
Incorporate 1 Teaspoonful of Syrup of Prunes. (1/2 teaspoon Prune Syrup)

Pour out over plenty of cracked ice and shake (stir - eje) for longer and more thoroughly than usual. Serve very cold.

This Cocktail removed the Blues if you have them and gives you the Blue Devils if you haven't.

Another favorite of mine among Savoy Quotes.

The cocktail is a bit on the sweet side. Stirred in a frozen glass with cracked ice and served very cold, quite tasty. To get the prune syrup, I did buy prunes, so I figured, why not add them as a garnish? Give you a bit of fiber with your cocktail. And, hey, turns out, whiskey soaked prunes are not bad at all.

Thought I'd throw a bit of a changeup with the whiskey. Been getting a bit predictable using the Sazerac 6, when nothing is specified. I think the Bernheim was a good choice. The dry leanness of the wheat whiskey complements the sweetness of the Curacao nicely.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#216 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:40 PM

Posted Image

Bobby Burns Cocktail.*

1/2 Italian Vermouth (1 1/2 oz Carpano Antica)
1/2 Scotch Whisky (1 1/2 oz Compass Box Asyla)
3 Dashes Benedictine (Barspoon Benedictine)

Shake (stir - eje) well and strain into cocktail glass. Squeeze lemon peel on top.

*One of the very best Whisky Cocktails.  A very fast mover on Saint Andrews Day.

I am inclined to agree with the authors of The Savoy. Boy, I enjoyed this cocktail. The complexity of the Bitter Vermouth, the briny Scotch, the slight sweet herbaceousness of the Benedictine, all highlighted with the brightness of the lemon zest. Just about everything I like in a brown liquor cocktail in a single glass. It really doesn't get much better than this.

Actually, whipped this one up a few weeks ago in celebration of Burns Night, a fine tradition celebrating the life and works of Scottish Poet, Robert Burns. I first learned about Burns Night a few years ago while listening to the radio shows of the late John Peel.

From Burns' Poem "A Bottle and Friend":

Here's a bottle and an honest friend!
What wad ye wish for mair, man?
Wha kens, before his life may end,
What his share may be o'care, man?

Then catch the moments as they fly,
and use them as ye ought, man.
Believe me, happiness is shy,
and comes not aye when sought, man.

Now I'm not sure if this cocktail, or the similar "Robert Burns Cockail", were actually named after the poet in question. And probably he would disapprove of sullying Scotch with water and other questionable materials. Still, on that night, we raised a glass to his memory and wished him well.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#217 Vesper Lynd

Vesper Lynd
  • participating member
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:14 AM

Posted Image

Blues Cocktail

Take 4 Glasses of Whisky. (2 oz Canadian Club)
1 Glass of Curacao. (1/2 oz Cointreau)
Incorporate 1 Teaspoonful of Syrup of Prunes. (1/4 teaspoon Prune Syrup)

We made our own prune syrup by simmering 1/2 a cup of prune juice for about 10 minutes and then adding 3 teaspoons of simple syrup for sweetness

Pour out over plenty of cracked ice and shake for longer and more thoroughly than usual. Serve very cold.

As we used Cointreau rather than coloured Curacao our Blues cocktail lacked the hansom orange colour that Eirk's had :sad: Non the less it was quite a refreshing drink, and the prescription; to "shake for longer and more thoroughly than usual", produced a pleasant raft of fine ice chips on the surface of the drink.
I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis
~Alleged last words of Humphery Bogart.

#218 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:36 AM

The problem with writing these things after I try the cocktail is I always forget some of the things I want to say...

The cocktaildb recipe for the Blues Cocktail is a bit different than the Savoy.

It calls for 2 oz Bourbon, 1/4 oz Prunella (a prune-plum based liqueur), and 1/4 oz of Blue Curacao.

Proportions are not that far off. I would guess the prune syrup was a sub for the relatively hard to find Prunella. Or perhaps vice versa, as the inclusion of Blue Curacao makes me think it is a more recent recipe than the one in the Savoy.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#219 The Hersch

The Hersch
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

Bacardi Cocktail

1/4 Lemon Juice or Lime Juice (3/4 oz Lime Juice)
1/4 Grenadine (3/4 oz home made grenadine)
1/2 Bacardi Rum ( 1 1/2 oz Flor De Cana Extra Dry Rum)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass

Third cocktail from the "New and Additional Cocktails" section of the Second edition of the Savoy Cocktail Book.  Despite anti-grenadine sentiment to the contrary, in my opinion, the first decent cocktail of the supplement.

Recent correspondence from eGullet member jazzyjeff shows that the Bacardi cocktail was actually part of the original first pressings of the Savoy.  Not sure how to explain.  Here is his picture.

Posted Image

It looks like it was a recipe that was mislaid; but, that the publisher, authors or editors felt strongly enough about the Bacardi Cocktail to insert a part of a page to the first edition of the Savoy cocktail book.

The Bacardi cocktail was then included in the "New and Additional Cocktails" section of the second edition.

View Post

After reading the above and other posts in this thread regarding the contents of different editions of the Savoy book, I'm completely puzzled as to what edition it is that I recently acquired, which I thought was a first. The (not numbered) page 25 of my book has a "Bacardi Special Cocktail" but no Bacardi Cocktail, and certainly no paste-in. But my copy doesn't have a "New and Additional Cocktails" section, it has a section headed simply "Additional Cocktails", which has only nine entries on two pages, the very first of them being the Bacardi Cocktail. It doesn't include a bunch of the other cocktails mentioned as being in the "New and Additional" section. Interestingly, the "Additional Cocktails" section of my copy is not listed in the volume's table of contents, which lists "Concluding Remarks" on page 280, and "Blank Pages for Additions" on page 282, which is where "Additional Cocktails" actually is, while the blank pages begin on page 284. The title page (there is no separate copyright page) reads, at the bottom, "LONDON:/CONSTABLE & COMPANY, LTD./1930" (slashes indicating line breaks). Is my copy perhaps a first edition, second state? Were two extra pages printed and bound in with the original pages, replacing two of the lined "blank" pages?

I hope the obsessiveness of my interest in this (I'm a book collector in a small way as well as a cocktail enthusiast) will fit right in in this obsessive thread.
  • FrogPrincesse likes this

#220 Nishla

Nishla
  • participating member
  • 326 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:21 PM

One slightly odd thing about the Blue Monday...

In "The Official Mixer's Manual" Patrick Duffy gives it the alternate name Caucasian.  He also states the Blue Vegetable Extract is optional.  Not sure if he means the drink is a Caucasion if it doesn't have the coloring.

In "The Big Lebowski" the Cohen Brothers have their character "The Dude" refer to his White Russians as Caucasians.  Though, I wonder if that is because the character seems to be leaving out the Coffee Liqueur and just making them with cream and vodka.  Am I remembering that right?

View Post

Okay, so The Big Lebowski may be my favorite movie of all time...I had to re-watch a few scenes to clarify this :wink: Almost every time The Dude asks for a drink, it's for a white russian, EXCEPT in one scene at the bowling alley, and in one scene at Jackie Treehorn's house where he appears to use "white russian" and "caucasian" interchangeably. In every scene you see the drink being made, there's Khalua involved. My personal favorite is when he makes a white russian at Maude's using powdered coffee creamer instead of cream :wacko:

ETA: By the way, this thread is awesome. I've learned so much from this already, and you're only on "B"!

Edited by Nishla, 10 February 2007 - 07:24 PM.

#221 Vesper Lynd

Vesper Lynd
  • participating member
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:59 AM

Posted Image

Bolo Cocktail

The Juice of ¼ Lemon or ½ Lime (we made two versions one using freshly squeezed juice of ¼ lemon and the other freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lime)
The juice of ¼ orange (freshly squeezed juice of ¼ Orange)
½ Wineglass Bacardi Rum (2 oz Havana Club Anejo Blanco)
1 Teaspoon Sugar (Whoops perhaps that’s what was missing :blush:)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

The version of the recipe that we finally decided upon was the result of a little (very) research and a deal of discussion between Erik and our selves. The omission of the sugar was due to tiredness more than any conscious decision that it was superfluous, although there was some discussion as to the exact quantity that might be required in this recipe. We found the cocktail, as we mixed it, to have all its flavour and impact at the front of the palette and feel that the addition of the sugar (syrup, probably a something less than the full teaspoon) would work well to give the drink a fuller flavour. Whether lime or lemon was used the drink was very refreshing, and quite appropriate for our current summer climate. Rum and citrus go together so well, and drinking this drink even in the winter months would be appropriate as it would immediately transport ones thoughts to warmer climes :cool:

Whilst we were tasting this cocktail, there was some discussion as to the merits of using gold or even dark rum in this recipe.  The fuller flavour of either of these might go a long way toward filling out the palette of this drink.

A project for another day perhaps  :smile:

#222 jazzyjeff

jazzyjeff
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:28 AM

[/quote]After reading the above and other posts in this thread regarding the contents of different editions of the Savoy book, I'm completely puzzled as to what edition it is that I recently acquired, which I thought was a first. The (not numbered) page 25 of my book has a "Bacardi Special Cocktail" but no Bacardi Cocktail, and certainly no paste-in. But my copy doesn't have a "New and Additional Cocktails" section, it has a section headed simply "Additional Cocktails", which has only nine entries on two pages, the very first of them being the Bacardi Cocktail. It doesn't include a bunch of the other cocktails mentioned as being in the "New and Additional" section. Interestingly, the "Additional Cocktails" section of my copy is not listed in the volume's table of contents, which lists "Concluding Remarks" on page 280, and "Blank Pages for Additions" on page 282, which is where "Additional Cocktails" actually is, while the blank pages begin on page 284. The title page (there is no separate copyright page) reads, at the bottom, "LONDON:/CONSTABLE & COMPANY, LTD./1930" (slashes indicating line breaks). Is my copy perhaps a first edition, second state? Were two extra pages printed and bound in with the original pages, replacing two of the lined "blank" pages?

I hope the obsessiveness of my interest in this (I'm a book collector in a small way as well as a cocktail enthusiast) will fit right in in this obsessive thread.

View Post

[/quote]

I don't know too much information on various printings of the Savoy, perhaps Mr Wondrich will be able to add more value? Here is what I can offer though.

I have two "first editions" of this book. The one that the picture was taken from was from my American copy published in 1930 by Richard R. Smith Inc. and does indeed have that small slip of paper over the Bacardi Special Cocktail. The last numbered page is 287 and it has five blank pages for writing in your own recipes. It does not have the "Additional Cocktails" section.

The second "first edition" that I have sounds exactly the same as yours. On the first inside page of the book however, it has a small stamp on the bottom right saying "With the complements of Booth's Distilleries Ltd." It has a two page advertisment for Booth's Gin before the title page. It also has the "Additional Cocktails" section you mention in it.

Is it possible that this is a special Booth's edition of the book or do all British copies have this two page advertisment? Maybe due to Prohibition, it did not appear in the American first edition?

Either way, I think your idea of "First edition, second state" could be correct, as there is an English first editon for sale on Abebooks with the Bacardi Cocktail slip.

If anyone else can shed some light on this, it would be appreciated.

Jeff

#223 The Hersch

The Hersch
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:41 AM

The second "first edition" that I have sounds exactly the same as yours. On the first inside page of the book however, it has a small stamp on the bottom right saying "With the complements of Booth's Distilleries Ltd." It has a two page advertisment for Booth's Gin before the title page. It also has the "Additional Cocktails" section you mention in it.

Is it possible that this is a special Booth's edition of the book or do all British copies have this two page advertisment? Maybe due to Prohibition, it did not appear in the American first edition?

Thanks for your observations. My copy does not have the Booth's advert pages. I don't think it has the stamp you mention, but I don't have it in front of me, so I can't swear to that. But I'd certainly have noticed a two-page advertisement. So I can answer your question about all British copies with a "no".

#224 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

[...]

[...]

View Post

Interesting. I was wondering why most of the gin based cocktails in the "New and Additional Cocktails" section of my edition specified "Booth's Gin".

Also interesting that the "Bacardi Cocktail" was added to the first American edition and not the English edition.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#225 The Hersch

The Hersch
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:15 PM

Also interesting that the "Bacardi Cocktail" was added to the first American edition and not the English edition.

Perhaps you missed where jazzyjeff said:

there is an English first editon for sale on Abebooks with the Bacardi Cocktail slip.

From the Abebooks listing:

There is a bound-in erratum slip between pages 24 & 25 with the recipe for "Bacardi cocktail"

This refers to the 1930 Constable edition. Presumably this copy does not have the "Additional Cocktails" section present in my 1930 Constable copy.

#226 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

jazzyjeff sent me an image of the Booth's Advertisement from his edition.

Who knew celebrity bartenders flogging spirits brands was such an august institution?

Posted Image
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#227 The Hersch

The Hersch
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:41 PM

Wow. Cool. Definitely not in my copy.

#228 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:26 PM

Posted Image

Bombay Cocktail (No. 1)

4 Dashes Lemon Juice
3/4 Wineglass East Indian Punch (1 1/2 oz Ponche Raja)

About "East Indian Punch" cocktaildb sez, "Defunct. Likely to have been a brand or other descriptive designation for a Swedish Punsch-style liqueur."

When I was questing for Swedish Punsch a local liquor store suggested I purchase this product as a replacement. I am really glad it was not expensive.

I figured I'd use it here, what with the maharaja and East Indian theme on the bottle.

It is just awful. Sweetened grain alcohol flavored with vanillin.

The only nice things are the shiny bottle and kitschy label.

If you value your brain cells, I'd suggest avoiding it.

This is going down the sink. From here on out, I'll be substituting my homemade Swedish Punsch. Whether or not it really tastes like Swedish Punsch or East Indian Punch, at least I know that it tastes good.

Edited by eje, 15 February 2007 - 09:51 AM.

---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#229 Vesper Lynd

Vesper Lynd
  • participating member
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:43 AM

Posted Image

Bombay Cocktail (No.2)

1 Dash Absinthe (1 Dash Absente, Liqueur aux Plantes d'Absinthe)
2 Dashes Curacao (2 Dashes Cointreau)
¼ oz French Vermouth (¼ oz Noilly Prat)
¼ oz Itailian Vermouth (¼ oz Rosso Antico)
½ oz Brandy (½ oz Dorville XO)

This cocktail had a lovely yellow topaz colour, and so far has been one of the hidden gems for us. The flavours were, rich, complex and lingering. The citrus, of the Cointreau and anise, of the absinthe, combined to make this a very satisfying drink, that we will definitely add to our regular list of drinks.

#230 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

Posted Image

Booksellers' (Special) Pride

1/4 Orange Juice (3/4 oz Blood Orange Juice)
1/4 Calvados (3/4 oz Germain-Robin Apple Brandy)
1/2 Gin--Booth's Dry (1 1/2 oz Plymouth Gin)

A green cherry that has been macerated in Orange Curacao.

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass, afterwards adding the green cherry

From the "New and Additional Cocktails section" of the second edition of the Savoy cocktail book.

Skipped the puzzling green cherry procedure. I'm not sure that the cherry or use of the suggested Booth's Gin would significantly change the cocktail. As is, it's a perfectly fine cocktail, which could probably be improved with a drop or two of bitters.

Sadly, I've finished off the last of my old-style Plymouth gin bottles, and finally had to crack the new style one.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#231 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:16 AM

Sadly, I've finished off the last of my old-style Plymouth gin bottles, and finally had to crack the new style one.

View Post

I keep refilling my old ones -- Victory or Death :-P
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#232 kvltrede

kvltrede
  • participating member
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:16 PM

Booksellers' (Special) Pride

1/4 Orange Juice (3/4 oz Blood Orange Juice)
1/4 Calvados (3/4 oz Germain-Robin Apple Brandy)
1/2 Gin--Booth's Dry (1 1/2 oz Plymouth Gin)

A green cherry that has been macerated in Orange Curacao.

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass, afterwards adding the green cherry

From the "New and Additional Cocktails section" of the second edition of the Savoy cocktail book.

Skipped the puzzling green cherry procedure.  I'm not sure that the cherry or use of the suggested Booth's Gin would significantly change the cocktail.  As is, it's a perfectly fine cocktail, which could probably be improved with a drop or two of bitters...

Erik, which bitters you recommend I try first? The blood oranges I've had so far this year have been a huge disappointment-kinda bitter--but I have one left and thought I might give this recipe a go this weekend.

I've used Peychaud's and aromatic bitters with blood orange juice before. Were you thinking of one of these?

Thanks.

Kurt
“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields
The Handy Snake

#233 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

Erik, which bitters you recommend I try first?  The blood oranges I've had so far this year have been a huge disappointment-kinda bitter--but I have one left and thought I might give this recipe a go this weekend.

I've used Peychaud's and aromatic bitters with blood orange juice before.  Were you thinking of one of these?
[...]

View Post

Kurt, I guess I was thinking Angostura or Orange. But now that you mention it, Peychaud might be pretty nice. Anise and Orange are flavors I like a lot together.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#234 The Hersch

The Hersch
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

Erik, which bitters you recommend I try first?  The blood oranges I've had so far this year have been a huge disappointment-kinda bitter--but I have one left and thought I might give this recipe a go this weekend.

I've used Peychaud's and aromatic bitters with blood orange juice before.  Were you thinking of one of these?
[...]

View Post

Kurt, I guess I was thinking Angostura or Orange. But now that you mention it, Peychaud might be pretty nice. Anise and Orange are flavors I like a lot together.

View Post

How about Stirrings' blood orange bitters?

#235 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:34 PM

Posted Image

Boomerang Cocktail

1 Dash Lemon Juice
1 Dash Angostura Bitters
1/3 French Vermouth (1 oz Noilly Prat Dry)
1/3 Canadian Club Whisky (1 oz Forty Creek Barrel Select)
1/3 Swedish Punch (1 oz homemade)

Shake (stir - eje) well and strain into cocktail glass. (Squeeze lemon peel over glass. - eje)

Tasty; but, the whisky didn't seem to stand much of a chance. It's all about the punch and the lemon.

Apparently, a version of a cocktail with this name is still made. I'm told, though, it is usually made with Gin, Bitters, Dry Vermouth, and Maraschino Liqueur. Beyond the name, it doesn't seem to have much to do with the version here.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#236 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:27 PM

Posted Image

Booster Cocktail

4 Dashes Curacao (teaspoon Brizard Orange Curacao)
The White of 1 Egg
1 Glass Brandy (2 oz Korbel VSOP)

Shake well and strain into medium size glass. Nutmeg on top.

Shoulda been more generous with the Curacao or maybe used a nicer brandy. Dash of bitters?

Certainly no Pisco Sour. Drinkable; but, not that interesting.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#237 David Santucci

David Santucci
  • participating member
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:53 AM

Bombay Cocktail (No.2)

1 Dash Absinthe (1 Dash Absente, Liqueur aux Plantes d'Absinthe)
2 Dashes Curacao (2 Dashes Cointreau)
¼ oz French Vermouth (¼ oz Noilly Prat)
¼ oz Itailian Vermouth (¼ oz Rosso Antico)
½ oz Brandy (½ oz Dorville XO)

This cocktail had a lovely yellow topaz colour, and so far has been one of the hidden gems for us. The flavours were, rich, complex and lingering. The citrus, of the Cointreau  and anise, of the absinthe, combined to make this a very satisfying drink, that we will definitely add to our regular list of drinks.

View Post

I tried this one with slightly less lofty ingredients (ie, VS not XO cognac). The first time through I was too heavy-handed with the Absinthe and it tasted like medicine. The second time I was more ginger with the Absinthe and dialed up the Italian vermouth a dash or two -- this was much better. With a dash of Unicum bitters, it was downright delicious.

#238 David Santucci

David Santucci
  • participating member
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:19 PM

Bosom Caresser Cocktail*

The Yolk of 1 Egg
1 Teaspoonful of Grenadine (Rose's)
1/3 Curaçao (3/4 oz. Luxardo Triple Sec)
2/3 Brandy (1 1/2 oz. Raynal VSOP)

Shake well and strain into medium size glass.

*This might be called the "Bobby Jones" or the "Francis Ouimet" Cocktail, as these two gentlemen, usually so chary of expressing preferences, distinctly expressed one for this concoction.

Well I hate to disagree with Mr. Jones and Ouimet, but I found this one rather candy-like and one-dimensional. In collaboration with my roommate, we added lemon juice, for a bit of sour, and Bourbon, for a bit of oak, which led to a cocktail much more to our liking. For lack of a better name, we christened it the:

Posted Image

Breast Caresser Cocktail

1 oz. Bourbon (Evan Williams Black Label)
3/4 oz. Brandy (Raynal VSOP)
2/3 oz. Curaçao (Luxardo Triple Sec)
1/2 oz. lemon juice
1/3 oz. Grenadine (Rose's)
1 egg yolk

Edited by David Santucci, 19 February 2007 - 10:21 PM.

#239 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:32 AM

Homemade grenadine is an improvement over Rose's that cannot be overstated, and the cost is about the same in the end. I would recommend retrying it with some homebrew.

-Andy
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#240 Vesper Lynd

Vesper Lynd
  • participating member
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:04 AM

Posted Image

Brain-Storm Cocktail

½ Wineglass Irish Whisky (2oz Tullamore Dew)
2 dashes Benedictine (4 dashes Benedictine)
2 dashes French Vermouth (4 dashes Noilly Prat)

Squeeze orange peel on top. Stir well and strain into a cocktail glass. (As the astute observer can probably tell from the photo we shook ours :blush: whoops)

After I had started to mix this drink I discovered that we had no oranges in the house, but we proceeded any way. Perhaps that's what was missing from our version of this drink. Or perhaps I was too mean with my dashes? What ever the answer it certainly seemed to be lacking something.

On my initial reading of the instructions I had assumed that the orange zest was to be squeezed onto the surface of the finished drink, that would seem to make sense to me. However on re-reading the instructions as I typed them up, I'm not so sure :huh:

Edited by Vesper Lynd, 20 February 2007 - 03:13 AM.