Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Stomping Through the "Savoy" (2006–2007)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
609 replies to this topic

#61 eje

eje
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

re: American Beauty

I did find out that, aside from being the title of a Grateful Dead album and the name of an old garden rose variety, "American Beauty Rose" was the name of a song published around 1910. Mostly, it's one of those, "Yeah, girls from other countries can be kind of hot; but, I prefer my good old fashioned American Beauties," type songs. No idea if there is a connection.

Oh, and I ran across an article in NY Magazine which noted that they have or have had a version of the American Beauty on the cocktail list at WD-50.

Posted Image

Angel Face

1/3 Calvados (1 oz Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy)
1/3 Gin (1 oz Beefeater's Gin)
1/3 Apricot Brandy (1 oz Vedrenne liqueur de Abricot)

Shake well (stir - eje) and strain into a cocktail glass.

---

This is a pretty good cocktail. I thought the Beefeater's flavor detracted a bit, however, and next time would probably reduce the amount or make it with a softer gin like Plymouth.

I thought of the idea of the apple angel's wings garnish on the way home and actually the flavor of the garnish and the cocktail complement each other nicely. The idea of trying to reproduce an angel's face also occurred to me; but, then I could only think about the Rilke poem which sez, "every angel is terrifying," and discarded the idea.

Googling didn't seem to turn up any relevant information for the name of this cocktail.

Edited by eje, 31 August 2006 - 10:46 AM.

---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#62 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:50 PM

Posted Image

Apricot Cocktail (Dry) (6 People)

Cut 2 Apricots (1 Apricot) in half, break the stones* and let the whole soak for 2 hours in a glass and a half of Congnac (2 oz Korbel VSOP Brandy). Add two teaspoonfuls of Peach Bitters (1 tsp fee's Peach Bitters), 2 glasses of Gin (2 oz Beefeater's Gin) and 2 glasses of French Vermouth (2 oz Noilly Pratt Dry).

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.
(Garnish each glass by dropping in a thin, ripe peach wedge)

---

Skipped ahead to this one, as probably next week I won't be able to get any apricots at all. I really should have made it a few weeks ago when the apricots were at their peak. In any case, it is a pretty odd bird of a cocktail. An apricot scented Martini? I can't think of any other fruit flavored cocktails that aren't at least somewhat sweentened. I liked it and will definitely give it another try next summer during apricot season.

As a note for other who might attempt this cocktail, I tried to double strain, so no one would get apricot shell shards in their cocktail; but, the semi-pulverized apricots made that pretty much impossible.

*I will note that the kernels of all members of the rose family, including apricots, contain cyanogenic glycosides which on ingestion release hydrogen cyanide. The amounts of these chemicals vary from plant to plant and species to species. Bitter almonds generally contain the most, and eating 50-70 bitter almonds in one sitting is enough to be fatal for an adult human. I would not recommend sitting down and drinking 50 Apricot cocktails at once. Fortunately, in most people, these chemicals are rapidly broken down by your liver, and do not build up over time, so small doses are generally regarded as safe.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#63 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

Posted Image
Angel's Tip Cocktail

3/4 Liqueur Glass Creme de Cacao (Bols)
1/4 Fresh Cream

Use liqueur glass and float cream on top.

---

I picked the easiest and most predictable of the Angel's to do first. The Savoy doesn't specify light or dark Creme de Cacao. I see some recipes on the internet call for dark, some for light, and some, like the Savoy don't specify. Probably dark would taste more interesting.

It does look cool.

I will say these Crate and Barrel Cordial Glasses are kind of sucky, as they are too narrow at the top to fit in a bar spoon. Now I understand why the vintage ones I see on eBay flair open at the top. Fortunately, they are wide enough to allow a teaspoon wedged inside.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#64 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

OK, the second easiest Angel's cocktail:

Posted Image

Angel's Wing Cocktail.
1/2 Creme de Cacao (Bols)
1/2 Prunelle Brandy (Home made Prune Plum liqueur)

Use liqueur glass and pour ingredients carefully, so that they do not mix. Pour a little sweet cream on top.

Maybe I'm getting used to these things, or maybe it was my Mom threatening to make me "peppermint patties" and "Butterballs" last week; but, they don't seem so bad lately.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#65 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:47 PM

Posted Image

Angel's Wings Cocktail
1/3 Raspberry Syrup (Monin)
1/3 Maraschino (Luxardo)
1/3 Creme de Violette (Benoit Serres liqueur de violette)

Use liqueur glass and pour ingredients carefully, so that they do not mix.

If the girl does not like it, do not drink it, but pour it quickly into the nearest flower vase.

I gotta say, this is one of my favorite snarky quotes in the Savoy. The cocktail isn't so bad, in a mouthful of flowers kind of way.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#66 birder53

birder53
  • participating member
  • 751 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:08 AM

Erik - Your persistence with this project is truly admirable. I can't imagine drinking some of these concoctions - they seem to be very sweet. Have you any idea of how long this project will take? Maybe a cocktail party is in order so you can get some help. :wink:
KathyM

#67 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:03 AM

Erik - Your persistence with this project is truly admirable.  I can't imagine drinking some of these concoctions - they seem to be very sweet.  Have you any idea of how long this project will take?  Maybe a cocktail party is in order so you can get some help. :wink:

View Post

For whatever reason there does seem to be an unusual concentration of dessert (or "girly") cocktails starting with the letter A. Alexanders and Angel's. I'll certainly be glad when I am done with the Angel's cocktails and can get on with things I might find more appealing.

On the whole, though, I don't think the Angel's cocktails are any sweeter than a red bull & voddy or whatever other sickly sweet energy drink or shooter cocktails are popular these days. Jaeger bomb?

re: cocktail party. My friend, who is working his way alphabetically through the Joy of Cooking, and I have talked about working together on a party for obsessives. I think he is still on soup, though.

I've read there are about 750 recipes in the Savoy Cocktail Book, so if I made one a day, it would probably take me a couple years to get through it. I'm not sure if that counts the punch and other old fashioned drink categories at the end. I'm actually really looking forward to trying those. I may have to jump ahead and do some of those sections early.

BTW, anyone have a good suggestion for the most appropriate substitution for "Hercules"? According to the Cocktaildb it is a, "Defunct proprietary British sweetened anis-flavored absinthe and/or substitute. Possibly wine-based."

Edited by eje, 29 September 2006 - 01:50 PM.

---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#68 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

Posted Image

Angel's Kiss
1/4 Creme de Cacao (Bols)
1/4 Prunelle Brandy (Homemade Prune Plum liqueur)
1/4 Creme de Violette (Benoit Serres)
1/4 Sweet Cream

Use liqueur Glass and pour carefully, so that the ingredients do not mix.

"Undrinkable?" "A waste of perfectly good liqueurs?"

I guess those sentiments are a little strong; but, this is easily my least favorite of any cocktail I have tried so far from the Savoy. Yuck.

However, it is the last of the Angel's, so, woo! No more liqueur stacking for me, at least for a while. On to a couple Pastis based cocktails, and then a bunch of Apple ones just on time for fall.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#69 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image

Angler Cocktail

2 Dashes Angostura Bitters
2 Dashes Orange Bitter (Regan's)
1/3 Hercules (3/4 oz Herbsaint)
2/3 Dry Gin (1 1/2 oz Beefeaters)

Shake (stir - eje) well and strain into a cocktail glass.

This one didn't do much for me. I'm not sure if Hercules was a milder absinthe-a-like than Herbsaint; but, to me, it really took over the cocktail and unbalanced it.

Also, almost all the recipes I see for the Angler's Cocktail (Different cocktail?) on the internet call for grenadine not pastis. Odd. The cocktaildb calls for grenadine, with cointreau or Hercules listed as substitutions, and tells you to build it in a Highball glass with ice.

Edited by eje, 01 October 2006 - 02:23 PM.

---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#70 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image

Ante Cocktail
1 Dash Angostura Bitters
1/4 Hercules (1/2 oz Henri Bardouin Pastis)
1/4 Cointreau (1/2 oz Cointreau)
1/2 Calvados or Apple Brandy (1 oz Laird's Apple Brandy)

Pretty cocktail. The Apple Brandy and Pastis actually make an intruiging flavor combination. Though, I think if you reduced the pastis to 1/4 oz, it would be a better balanced drink.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#71 BTR

BTR
  • participating member
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:26 PM

Ante Cocktail
1 Dash Angostura Bitters
1/4 Hercules (1/2 oz Henri Bardouin Pastis)
1/4 Cointreau (1/2 oz Cointreau)
1/2 Calvados or Apple Brandy (1 oz Laird's Apple Brandy)

Pretty cocktail.  The Apple Brandy and Pastis actually make an intruiging flavor combination.  Though, I think if you reduced the pastis to 1/4 oz, it would be a better balanced drink.

View Post

Back when I lived in chicago I would alternate between making hot apple cider with the standard range of spices and making it with cardamom and aniseed, and spiking it with pernod. Definitely a flavor combination that works, I think---I might fiddle with this recipe a bit.

Edit: actually it was cardamom and orange; the only anise presence was from the pernod itself.

Edited by BTR, 01 October 2006 - 09:26 PM.

#72 Snowy is dead

Snowy is dead
  • participating member
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:09 PM

Angel's Kiss
1/4 Creme de Cacao (Bols)
1/4 Prunelle Brandy (Homemade Prune Plum liqueur)
1/4 Creme de Violette (Benoit Serres)
1/4 Sweet Cream

I'm curious about the creme de violette. What is the flavor like compared to the parfait armour? I have yet to even hear a mention of that stuff except on this site, did you pick it up in travel?

Sean

#73 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:16 AM

Creme de Violette tastes like candied violets. Depending on which one you get, the alcohol content will be anywhere from 10 to 25%.

It is extremely hard to find, almost non-existant here in the US.

There is a pretty big discussion on it here.

I have resorted to buying the Monin Violet Syrup (which you can find at any place that sells coffee syrups) and cutting it down with vodka as a passable substitute for the real thing. (Thanks donbert for the tip)

John
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#74 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

Posted Image

Apparent Cocktail

1/2 Dry Gin (1 1/2 oz Beefeaters)
1/2 Dubonnet (1 1/2 oz Dubonnet Rouge)
dash Absinthe (Verte de Fougerolles)

Shake (stir - eje) well and strain into a cocktail glass. (Orange Twist garnish.)

I enjoyed this one. An interesting wet martini variation. I thought the orange twist added a nice layer of aromatic complexity. Definitely something I would make again.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#75 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:08 PM

[...]
I'm curious about the creme de violette.  What is the flavor like compared to the parfait amour?  I have yet to even hear a mention of that stuff except on this site, did you pick it up in travel?

Sean

View Post

Sean,
I convinced some friends to bring the liqueur de violette from London when they were visiting the US. They got it from Sally Clarke's, who will ship to the US, if you're really curious.

Here's a picture:

Posted Image

The Benoit Serres liqueur de violette is made on an Armanac base and is 25% alcohol. It is very intensely aromatic and violet-ey. When I've given folks a taste or smell, they mostly say, "that's very odd".

For some reason, I still haven't tried Parfait Amour, so I can't give you a taste comparison. I've read Parfait Amour is an imperfect substitution for creme de violette. Sweeter and with a less intense violet flavor and with some citrus and vanilla added. Some authors describe it as "grape jellybeans".
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#76 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

[...]
The Benoit Serres liqueur de violette is made on an Armanac base and is 25% alcohol.  It is very intensely aromatic and violet-ey.  When I've given folks a taste or smell, they mostly say, "that's very odd".
[...]

View Post

Sean,

I was trying to think of things to compare the violet liqueur to, and came up with this:

If you've ever made a lavender flavored simple syrup or Sorbet, (the linked recipe is excellent, BTW,) it's very similar. Except, well, it tastes like violets, not lavender.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#77 Snowy is dead

Snowy is dead
  • participating member
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the replys. I was just in London, too. Damn. Maybe I'll have it shipped. This stuff just makes me so curious. Have you tried it in an avaiation yet?

#78 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:40 PM

re: Aviation and violets. Well, I could tell you, Sean; but, then I'd have nothing talk about when I got to the Aviation in a page or two. Stay tuned.

Posted Image

Appetiser Cocktail

1/2 dry gin (1 1/2 oz beefeater gin)
1/2 Dubonnet ( 1 1/2 oz dubonnet rouge)
Juice of 1/2 orange

Shake well and strain into a cocktail glass.

This was OK; but, I liked it better with a dash or two of angostura bitters (which, in the world of the Savoy, probably makes it a different drink). It's not as "dangerously drinkable" as some modern mixed drinks; but, it does seem like one of those drinks that make it seem like you're not really having something with hard liquor in it. Then all of a sudden you've swilled three in quick succession and you're pretty drunk.

edit - spelling.

Edited by eje, 13 October 2006 - 10:24 AM.

---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#79 Snowy is dead

Snowy is dead
  • participating member
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:33 AM

roger that

#80 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

Posted Image

Apple Cocktail (for 6)

Take 2 glasses of sweet Cider (2 oz Martinelli's Cider), 1 Glass Gin (1 oz. Beefeater's), 1 Glass of Brandy (1 oz Korbel VSOP) and 2 glasses of Calvados (2 oz Laird's Bonded Apple Jack). Shake and serve
(Garnish with thin horizontal slices of tart green apple.)

This is the Cocktail doctors hate to recommend

Recommend going with a cider with a little more spine than the martinelli's. If you have to use a mild apple juice style cider, a dash of lemon wouldn't hurt.

Caveat: Over enthusiastic consumption of this potent pomme potation may result in tawdry, if not downright original, sin.

edit - By the way, I regretted shaking this one, as the foam then covered my apple slices. Recommend stirring, if you use a similar garnish, especially with a clear apple cider.

Edited by eje, 20 October 2006 - 09:22 AM.

---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#81 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

Posted Image

Apple Jack Cocktail

1 Dash Angustura Bitters
1/2 Italian Vermouth (1 1/2 oz Cinzano Rosso)
1/2 Calvados (1 1/2 oz Laird's Bonded Apple Jack)

Shake (stir - eje) well and strain into cocktail glass.

This was quite nice. You'd probably have to order it as an "Apple Jack Manhattan" to get it at a bar. If you like Manhattans, it's a good change of pace from the usual Rye or Bourbon.

Edited by eje, 19 October 2006 - 08:59 PM.

---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#82 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

Posted Image

Apple Jack (Special) Cocktail

2/3 Applejack (2 oz Laird's Bonded Apple Jack)
1/6 Grenadine (1/2 oz homemade Grenadine)
1/6 Lemon Juice (1/2 oz Lemon Juice)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass

Within free pour error of the nominally drier Jack Rose (in the Savoy the Jack Rose is: Juice of 1/2 lemon or whole lime, 1/4 Grenadine, 3/4 Apple Jack). Tasty stuff. Homemade Grenadine, fresh lemon juice, and the Bonded Apple Jack make a world of difference in this cocktail. Yum.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#83 ThinkingBartender

ThinkingBartender
  • participating member
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:03 AM

That one looks like it could do with some eggwhite.

#84 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:53 PM

Actually, egg white would be a pretty good thing in the "Apple Jack (Special)". It's got enough intensity and sourness, that it would be quite tasty. "Apple Jack (Extra Special)"? Apple Jack (Silver Special)"?

Posted Image

Apple Jack Rabbit Cocktail

1 Hooker of Applejack (1 1/2 oz Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy)
The Juice of 1 Lemon (Juice 3/4 Lemon)
The Juice of 1 Orange (Juice 1/2 navel orange)
1 Hooker of Maple Syrup (1/2 oz Maple Syrup)

Shake well and strain into a cocktail glass

As far as I can tell from the recipes in the Savoy, "hooker" refers to a small-ish shot glass. Maybe 1 or 1 1/2 oz. I ended up balancing this cocktail to my taste based on what modern ingredients I had on hand and what might appeal to me.

It might not be what the recipe intended; but, I couldn't face drinking a whole ounce of maple syrup without a decent cocktail to back it up.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#85 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:01 PM

Posted Image

Apple Pie Cocktail

1/2 Bacardi Rum (1 1/2 oz Flor de Cana White Rum)
1/2 Italian Vermouth (1 1/2 oz Cinzano Rosso)
4 Dashes Apricot Brandy (2 bar spoons Vedrenne liqueur de abricot)
2 Dashes Grenadine (1 bar spoon home made Grenadine)
4 Dashes Lemon Juice (Juice 1/4 lemon)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass

Ack, my first case of serious boston shaker vapor lock. It was a long bus ride home, I was tense. I took a breath and knocked it and it came loose without damaging the glass. Whew. It did end up a bit more diluted than I would have liked.

Nice cocktail, all the same.

Oh, IMHO, this one could go either way shaking or straining.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#86 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:48 PM

Erik:

I have a bottle of Laird's Applejack in the house that I've been looking for new excuses to play with. Thanks for the suggestions, they'll definitely be in this weekend's rotation.

Do you think the Applejack Cocktail and the Applejack Special would work with the non-bonded Laird's? It's what I've got... :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#87 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:57 AM

Erik:

I have a bottle of Laird's Applejack in the house that I've been looking for new excuses to play with.  Thanks for the suggestions, they'll definitely be in this weekend's rotation.

Do you think the Applejack Cocktail and the Applejack Special would work with the non-bonded Laird's?  It's what I've got... :unsure:

View Post

Katie,

You might have to balance them a little differently.

The bonded straight apple brandy is a cleaner and more intensely apple flavored spirit. Plus it is 100 proof. The blended Apple Jack strikes me as half way between an apple brandy and a mild blended whiskey.

Before I made my own grenadine and had the bonded, I used commercial grenadine and went through a bottle of the blended apple jack on various cocktails. The Jack Roses, especially, just never really grabbed me as a great cocktail. With the bonded apple brandy and home made grenadine, the Apple Jack (Special) is a really vibrant and tasty cocktail. How much of that is the home made grenadine and how much is the bonded apple brandy, I'm not sure.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#88 Peter Green

Peter Green
  • participating member
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:22 AM

I have little to add. I just want you to know that I really like this thread.

Dipsophilia forever.

#89 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:22 PM

I have little to add.  I just want you to know that I really like this thread.

Dipsophilia forever.

View Post

Cheers, Peter! Glad you enjoy it.

Dipsophilia is a new word for me!

Posted Image

Approve Cocktail

3/4 Wineglass Rye or Canadian Club Whisky (2 oz Sazerac 6 yr. Rye)
2 Dashes Angostura Bitters (8 drops)
2 Dashes Curacao (1 barspoon Marie Brizard Orange Curacao)

Shake (stir - eje) and strain into wine-glass. Squeeze lemon and orange peel on top.

Basically a big glass of cold citrus scented rye. Possibly, I should have used a milder flavored whisk(e)y. Honestly, I think I would have preferred straight rye.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#90 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

Posted Image

Apricot Cocktail (Sweet).
(6 People)

Dilute a teaspoon of apricot jam (1/2 teaspoon Bonne Maman Apricot preserves) in a glass of Abricotine (1 oz Vedrenne liqueur de Abricot). Add a teaspoonful of Peach Bitters (1/2 teaspoon Fee's Peach Bitters), slightly less than two glasses of Gin (2 oz Beefeater Gin) and 2 1/2 glasses French Vermouth (2 1/2 oz Noilly Prat Dry).

Place this mixture in a shaker and put it on the ice (in the freezer) to cool. When quite cold pour in two or three glasses of crushed ice and shake well. Strain into cocktail glass.

Odd instructions, I must say. The end result is a pleasant enough after dinner cocktail. Especially highlights the nutty flavors of the Apricot liqueur.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA