Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Bubble Tea

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#91 Yajna Patni

Yajna Patni
  • participating member
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:51 AM

I have made it! it is easy. you get the pearls an cook them, and add them to ice tea. if you shake it in a cocktail shaker it is better.
The powders are gross and i hate bubble tea made from them, they are just a generic fake flavoured milk shake. I have used diffrent teas, thai milk tea, and if i am not making it hong kong milk tea.
on that subject, any one know how to make hong kong milk tea?
I say forget the kit an just get some pearls. if there is a china town round you you should be able to find them there.

#92 eje

eje
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:58 AM

Any hints for cooking large tapioca pearls?

I followed the instructions on a package, and it did not work out.

Soak in water over night, cook on top of double boiler.

Many were still crunchy and others dissolved.

Maybe they were just really old?
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#93 phaelon56

phaelon56
  • legacy participant
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

This recipe

Bubble Tea Mania

has specific instructions on how to prepare the tapioca pearls. Perhaps it will help.
Not sure where you purchased the tapioca pearls but I'd think that certain Asian food markets might have a faster turnover on that item as they are used in certain drinks such as the Vietnamese Three bean Dessert.

#94 wannabechef

wannabechef
  • participating member
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

I have a Chinatown (NYC). Maybe I'll take a look down there. The website just seems easy - comes with the straws too which I think is a critical component! I do agree though that I'm skeptical about the powders. I would just brew black tea and chill it, add milk and sugar syrup and be done. You could really do whatever you want I guess - the main key is getting the pearls done right. Thanks for the tips!

#95 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:14 AM

they definitely sell the pearls and the straws in chinatown. look for the large brown pearls if that's the kind you're used to drinking/eating. they'll look a bit powdery. don't soak before cooking. phaelon's link has the correct method. sometimes, i will boil them for a minute or so and then rinse them and change the water so that the water doesn't get all gummed up, but that isn't crucial.

edited to add: make sure that all the pearls are transparent when you're done cooking them. if they have an opaque core to them, then they aren't done and you'll have that weird texture in the middle.

Edited by alanamoana, 15 September 2007 - 11:15 AM.

#96 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

View Post

Ive never heard of soaking them or using a double boiler.

This is the standard cooking method:
http://www.bubbletea...ge=recipes.html
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#97 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

I have several interesting powders in my kitchen
Sweet Corn
Avocado
Purple Oreo

If you wanna save calories on the high cal tapioca pearls, use Konnyaku Bobas
http://www.miracleno...odles.html#mini
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#98 RAHiggins1

RAHiggins1
  • participating member
  • 514 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:58 PM

I had my first taste of Bubble Tea, if you haven't had this, you need to try it. Basically its a tea infused with flavorings, mine was pineapple, and blended with ice that is then served with large Tapicoa Pearls in the bottom.

Bubble Tea
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

#99 Yajna Patni

Yajna Patni
  • participating member
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:09 AM

Ten Ren in Baltimore made my favorite bubble tea of all time. I liked it because they used real tea. and most of the places in Boston that i have visited use dodgy milk shake style stuff. (one exception, the bubble tea stand in the porter sq. japanese food court used to make an acceptable one)

#100 heichmanron

heichmanron
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

OK, so I know this is something for a drink, but the process does involve cooking, so I was kind of conflicted as to where I should put this post... oh well, hope no one minds.

Either way, for those of you that are unfamiliar with what boba are (is?), boba are basically pearls (think pie weight size) of tapioca starch which are added to tea drinks that include fruit nectar, milk (or not) and other flavorings.

Now, although I can order these online, how would that be fun? I've bought them before and found the texture to be much chewier and denser than what I had from vendors, and some brands just break apart as you're cooking them, which is definitely not helpful.

As I mentioned, typically, boba are made out of tapioca starch. Boba are soft yet chewy and slightly sweet. They serve the purpose of being fun to chew on when you're drinking the tea (from very wide straws too!) and make the drink more filling too.

So, the question is: is it possible to create boba or some boba style alternative at home?

I've thought about it a bit, and consulted the "Modernist Cuisine" book's chapter on gels (although I don't have much experience with them).

As far as I can tell, what I'm looking for here is a gel which is stable at cold to room temperatures, acid stable, is very stiff (MC uses gummy bears as an example, that seems about right) and mildly elastic.

Tapioca starch falls into the category of a tuber hydrocolloid, possibly other hydrocolloids would work, but they would need to be easy enough to work with to shape into balls, cut into disks, pipe out of bags or pour into spherical molds (I don't have those, but I'm not ruling it out). Since Earth gravity is too high, unfortunately we can't just make drops large enough just by dripping into water...

Expanding the definition of boba beyond just tapioca pearls gives a lot of flexibility too. Think:

• Boba that are fruit flavored
  • Creative uses, like, bloody mary boba in bloody mary
  • Boba in soup

Aside from tapioca starch, I was thinking that mochi have a very similar texture to the pearls as well (due to the glutinous rice), but I'm not sure how it would react to being in liquid for a bit of time. I'll try to make pearls out of mochi flour and see how it goes, any other ideas?

#101 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

Im just gonna say this...<br /><br />DO NOT BE OFFENDED.<br /><br />BUT<br /><br />Do not buy BOBA at Asian Markets. Ive seen too many variables as far as storage and grocery workers not realizing or knowing what FRESH Boba are supposed to look like and where to store them and not tossing out old stock...<br /><br />Boba ideally should be in vacuum packed plastic bags with NO condensation or powdery substance. Im not sure but It shouldnt be frozen until after its cooked.<br />Ups and downs in temps make it fall apart and become mushy...<br /><br />If any of this is incorrect please advise me<br />
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#102 ericparkr

ericparkr
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

At Bubble Tea Cafe we can “Freeze Your Bubble”, which is similar to a smoothie OR we can ”Shake Your Bubble” , served shaken over ice.

#103 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

[snapback]1455198

Ive never heard of soaking them or using a double boiler.

This is the standard cooking method:
http://www.bubbletea...ge=recipes.html

Hello- In my opinion, this is the best bubble tea site!

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)