Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Bubble Tea

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 JohnnyH

JohnnyH
  • participating member
  • 429 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:10 PM

I love the stuff. For anyone in NYC looking to try it, the Saint's Alp Tea House on 3rd Avenue & 11th Street is the place to go. Cold taro with tapioca can't be beat when it's hot out.
"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."
-- Albert Ellis

#62 hshiau

hshiau
  • participating member
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:00 PM

I do love the stuff...and you can get it hot or cold. In the summer, I like plain cold black tea with pearls. In the winter, hot almond black tea with pearl. I try to avoid these places because this stuff can be pretty fattening. This coming from the guy that had 2 venti caramel macchiato's (what did I just say?) today.

Edited by hshiau, 23 July 2004 - 07:01 PM.

#63 elfin

elfin
  • participating member
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:09 AM

Had bubble juices/sodas in Japan in 1990-could not read the can and thought it was peach juice. Was I surprised when I took that last swig and got a mucous-like glob -I thought it had gone bad or a foreighn substance. It was a clear, flavorless and gelatinous. Never ever thought the trend would make it to the states-(also thought canned coffee would never make it here either).
What disease did cured ham actually have?
Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

#64 tryska

tryska
  • participating member
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:27 AM

i'm a black milk tea bubble lover.

#65 spaghetttti

spaghetttti
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 878 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:29 PM

Bubbles are very popular here in Indonesia, not only in teas, coffees but even some icy blended fruit drinks and smoothies. I really like them.

However, I was completely caught off guard when my niece brought this over:

Posted Image

Vile, vile too sweet raspberry flavored bottled water with little agar-agar bubbles. Why do they come up with this stuff?

Edited by spaghetttti, 03 October 2004 - 12:07 AM.

Yetty CintaS
I am spaghetttti

#66 MHesse

MHesse
  • participating member
  • 448 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 06:57 PM

Many years ago, a cargo ship tied up along the docks of the Hudson River to unload its shipment: holds full of tapioca pearls destined for a pudding packaging company located in the Brooklyn.

Unfortunately a fire broke out aboard ship before the cargo could be unloaded. Fire trucks and boats responded quickly to the scene of the conflagration and the fire was quickly extinguished.

The combination of the heat of the fire and the water used to contain it was sufficient to cook the pearls into the largest tapioca pudding ever. As the pearls swelled the ship was torn asunder and sank to the bottom of the river, never to be seen again. Fish caught in the river were the sweetest they had ever been.
--mark
Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

#67 wattacetti

wattacetti
  • participating member
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 09:21 PM

This drink is from Taiwan, specifically Tainan.

View Post

Unfortunate, but true. :sad:

All the great chefs go to Taiwan with Chiang back in 1950 and 50 years later the island exports bubble tea to the world.

#68 peter_nyc

peter_nyc
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:36 PM

For bubble tea in NYC, the buck stops at Ten Ren in chinatown.

#69 car85

car85
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:46 AM

I absoloutely love bubble tea. The taste, the feel, it's just an overall great drink. Although the bubbles have quite the calory count as someone mentioned on here, it is still nice to have drinks made from real fruits with out all the preserves or additives and are palatable.

My favourite part has to be when you see a bunch of the dark bubbles coming up the straw and you anticipate the fun to come.

I like the dark colour of the balls. It makes the drink very eye appealing. And shouldnt all foods and beverages be that way as well as tasting good?

#70 Mayhaw Man

Mayhaw Man
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:18 AM

The New Orleans Times Picayune had a feature in the business section today on bubble teas and bubble tea shops.

I have to admit to an aversion to drinks with chunks of anything in it, but in the interest of research, I am going to go by and try one of these things again when I am in the city on Wednesday.

Any favorite flavors that might be a good place to start?
Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

#71 tryska

tryska
  • participating member
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:42 PM

yay black milk bubble tea! my favorite afternoon drink. *sigh*

there's no bubble tea places within walking distance here at the new job. :(

#72 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:27 PM

There's a good bubble tea place in Flushing, Queens that puts white tapioca balls into their teas.

#73 jpr54_

jpr54_
  • participating member
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 05:01 PM

There's a good bubble tea place in Flushing, Queens that puts white tapioca balls into their teas.

View Post

what is name of this place?

#74 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:18 PM

I forget. I think it's the one right on the corner of Main and Prince. I like their black sesame milk tea.

#75 Phatlouie07

Phatlouie07
  • participating member
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:15 PM

ten ren's my favorite place to get bubble tea while i'm in chinatown...melon green tea bubble tea is very delicious..bubble tea's been popular not only in places like japan or what not, but also in southeast asian countries like the philippines.

#76 Gastro888

Gastro888
  • participating member
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:47 AM

Has anyone else had this stuff?  Who came up with the idea?  I just had my first today - Green tea flavor - and boy it was weird.  :blink:

View Post

It's hard to get a GOOD bubble tea in the DC metro area. They just don't get it right. The only place where you can get a semi-bubble tea (which pale in comparison to the tea houses on Mott Street in Chinatown up in NYC) is at Ten Ren's in College Park, MD and Maria's Bakery & Cafe in Rockville, MD. To experience a GOOD bubble tea...no, make that a GREAT bubble tea, go up to NYC.

And try the classic milk tea with bubbles. Ahhhhh.... :biggrin:

#77 Tonyy13

Tonyy13
  • participating member
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 01:42 PM

I once tried Bubble Tea at a place called Tealuxe, in Providence, and boy, it was bad. Kind of like green tea slurpee with black balls of rubber in it, the size of a small marble. The cool thing about it was that the balls flew down the large straw a la spitball oh so well..... Look out stop sign, here it comes, I got about 40 ft. in distance, no joke!!!!!
Tonyy13
Owner, Big Wheel Provisions
tony_adams@mac.com

#78 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:01 PM

I say if you've had bad balls, it can ruin the experience for ya. :raz:
The first time I tried them, the tapioca balls just weren't that good (from a latin joint nearby). A new "Little Saigon" opened up in town and there's a new drink shop now and the boba balls they use are great. They even have a little machine they imported from Asia that seals the cup with plastic instead of using a lid.

To wander off-topic, I tried mung bean ice tea recently and it was just too weird for my tastes (gummy bear-like shreds, mung beans & ice tea all mixed together :shock: ).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#79 Phatlouie07

Phatlouie07
  • participating member
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:25 PM

i like bubble tea with the lighter-colored tapioca balls..unlike the darker ones which i'm not fond of. does anyone know where bubble tea originated?? yes, in asia..but does anyone know which country?

#80 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:13 PM

I understand that it's originally from Taiwan.

#81 Drunky

Drunky
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:43 PM

Here in Sydney bubble tea has really taken off, whereas last year there were only a few outlets there are dozens now.

I've tried bubble teas of various levels of quality, with hard bubbles being the most common drawback (this happens if the bubbles are overchilled or left in a cup with ice for too long). I've found that EasyWay is always the best (http://www.easyways.com.tw/). If you haven't tried their salted plum green tea you're really missing out! They're also good because I don't like mine too sweet and you can specify how much syrup you want as well as what kind of bubbles (or 'pearls' as they call them).

There a few different kinds of "bubbles" (or 'tapioca starch balls' - bubbles sounds better!). I found this info on how they are made:

"They are made from cassava after the root is peeled and grated, and the juice extracted. This is a complex process that yields a tapioca flour later compressed into brown or white cakes. When round, they are known as tapioca pearls, and once boiled, can be found lurking in sweet drinks."

I've also often seen pearls made of aloe vera and cocnut jelly.

#82 daniellewiley

daniellewiley
  • participating member
  • 752 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:19 AM

Yep, in Vancouver, bubble tea is extremely popular and quite common.  Flavours and quality definitely range from place to place.

Watermelon kicks ass!

View Post

Yum, I love watermelon. We just got our first Bubble Drink place in Toledo. I was excited. They even made a mini one for my daughter. She was not a fan of the bubbles. :blink:
Danielle Altshuler Wiley
a.k.a. Foodmomiac

#83 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:44 AM

Interesting NPR story on bubble tea -- click here to listen. Dog bites man alert: apparently the quality of bubble tea in the US pretty much sucks, especially compared to that served in the ultracompetitive markets of Asia.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#84 squids

squids
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:45 AM

Has anyone else had this stuff?  Who came up with the idea?  I just had my first today - Green tea flavor - and boy it was weird.   :blink:

View Post

It's hard to get a GOOD bubble tea in the DC metro area. They just don't get it right. The only place where you can get a semi-bubble tea (which pale in comparison to the tea houses on Mott Street in Chinatown up in NYC) is at Ten Ren's in College Park, MD and Maria's Bakery & Cafe in Rockville, MD. To experience a GOOD bubble tea...no, make that a GREAT bubble tea, go up to NYC.

And try the classic milk tea with bubbles. Ahhhhh.... :biggrin:

View Post

I love the green tea flavor! (But of course I love green tea ice cream as well, and NYC can't be beat for that, either) I had heard that place in Wintergreen Plaza was supposedly pretty authentic...how does that compare with Ten Ren's and Maria's? (and where exactly is Ten Ren's in College Park?)

#85 racheld

racheld
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:50 AM

I misunderstood the title/subject of the thread, and read all through still wondering about a (regional?) drink we were served a couple of years ago. We took a couple of our sons to Niagara Falls during the summer, and at the first restaurant on our trek, we ordered Iced Tea, only to be served a fruity-fizz concoction which resembled the bastard child of KoolAid and Coke.

We asked for "regular iced tea" and were told that this was IT---everyone served it and everyone liked it. And so it went. There WAS no brewed, poured-over-ice Lipton or Tetley or whatever other brand might flourish north of Pennsylvania.

At every meal we asked, were put in our places as the Southern Hicks-come-to-see-the-FAWLS that we were, and settled for ice water. We bought our own bags and some humongous carrycups, and made our own daily supply in the hotel room each morning.

So what IS it with that NorthEastern/Canada fizzy stuff? And RASPBERRY with salmon!!?? :blink:

Edited by racheld, 27 April 2005 - 03:52 AM.

Fairy tea has its own magic, for it never does run out;
And the flavour you imagine will come streaming from the spout.
Fairy Tea

My Blog--Thanksgiving and Goodwill

LAWN TEA

#86 JumblyJu

JumblyJu
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:53 AM

I love milk tea boba, unblended. The best way to avoid bad balls is to go to a place with high turnover. Balls go bad when they have to be refrigerated, fresh balls are soft, plump and chewy. They also get hard when they get too cold because the drink is blended.

The best places to get boba in Honolulu is at Coffee or Tea in McCully or Bea's in the 99 Ranch complex.

#87 hjshorter

hjshorter
  • participating member
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:58 AM

I love the green tea flavor! (But of course I love green tea ice cream as well, and NYC can't be beat for that, either) I had heard that place in Wintergreen Plaza was supposedly pretty authentic...how does that compare with Ten Ren's and Maria's? (and where exactly is Ten Ren's in College Park?)

View Post

Hey squids, Ten Ren's is the place in Wintergreen Plaza. I have had their bubble tea several times now (it's about a minute from my house) and my initial "what the heck" reaction was due to an inferior version somewhere else because theirs is pretty good.
Heather Johnson
In Good Thyme

#88 leviathan

leviathan
  • participating member
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:44 AM

Can you get the bubbles at Asian markets? -- hillvalley

Yes. At the Asian mart near me they have both black and 'rainbow', though I can't tell a difference in flavor. A bag of dried boba costs about $2, and is enough to make more bubble tea than I'll consume in this lifetime.

View Post

I thought I read that making the tapioca pearls, even with a kit, was the hardest part about trying to make bobba tea at home. Anybody tried making them, and how did it come out?

#89 Carrot Top

Carrot Top
  • legacy participant
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:50 AM

I thought I read that making the tapioca pearls, even with a kit, was the hardest part about trying to make bobba tea at home. Anybody tried making them, and how did it come out?

View Post

Yes, I've made bubbles. Not difficult at all but simply time-consuming in that they have to simmer for a bit. There are "quick-cook" bubbles available also but I'd heard mixed reports and when I tried them, to me they did not have as good a texture.

One of the problems is that the bubbles do not store well. Generally they are best consumed the day they are cooked, so it's best to make bubble tea for a small crowd or, of course, otherwise just for a few people who are willing to drink bubble tea all day long :biggrin: )

#90 wannabechef

wannabechef
  • participating member
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:09 AM

Has anyone here ever tried making bubble tea at home? I saw from another thread that there's a bit of debate here about the legitimacy of the drink but I happen to like it every so often. I saw there's a website which sells a kit to make it - comes with a few types of teas (all made from powders) the pearls, straws, etc.

Has anyone tried this or have any light to shed on it?

http://www.bubbletea...category_type=4