Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Bubble Tea

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#31 Andrew Fenton

Andrew Fenton
  • participating member
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 12:28 PM

I know people who are addicted to the stuff. Personally, I find it kind of nasty. Whenever I've had it (twice now) the "bubbles" are flavorless or bitter; not very appealing at all. I'd rather just dump a bag of gümmi bears in a cup of iced tea...

#32 vengroff

vengroff
  • participating member
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 02:03 PM

Has anyone else had this stuff?  Who came up with the idea?  I just had my first today - Green tea flavor - and boy it was weird. :blink:

It's all over Chinatown in NYC. In my experience, there is tremendous variation in the quality of the underlying tea, which makes a big difference in the final product.

I assume that one or more groups are hard at work trying to Starbuckize it for the mass market.
Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook
MadVal, Seattle, WA
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

#33 tissue

tissue
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 02:13 PM

The boba make a difference too.
It's hard to cook. The center is supposed to be soft but not too mushy...
The tea makes a difference too, some places use better leaves. You get what you pay for.

#34 Legitimate Beef

Legitimate Beef
  • legacy participant
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 02:35 PM

In Vancouver the drink is extremely popular among asian youths. Personally I've found some to be very good, and others to be poor. The quality does vary a great deal from merchant to merchant, as was previously mentioned.

Some people prefer coconut jelly in lieu of bubbles.

#35 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:26 PM

Check out this previous thread for other thoughts on the topic:

http://forums.egulle...5&hl=bubble tea

This was huge in Japan a couple of years back, but haven't seen it anywhere for a year or so. Maybe it is seasonal (everything here is!) and will be back in summer.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#36 Timo

Timo
  • participating member
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 09:16 PM

when i first saw the bubble tea in chinatown, it reminded me of a soft drink i used to enjoy:
Posted Image
orbitz was like juice, but with little gel balls floating in it. i thought it was ace at the time (i was about 12 or so..) but now the thought is a little revolting... needless to say, orbitz has been discontinued. did anyone else ever drink this? i think bubble tea is a definite step up! tapioca pearls taste better than jello spheres. trust me...
"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers
timoblog!

#37 Legitimate Beef

Legitimate Beef
  • legacy participant
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 09:48 PM

Yup. I used to love that Orbitz stuff too :laugh:

#38 Pan

Pan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 10:10 PM

I think the tapioca balls are something to try at least once. I don't happen to like them, but I do like the flavored teas without them. I'm particularly fond of Taro Green Milk Tea at Saint's Alp in Manhattan, either the branch on 3rd Av. between 9th and 10th and the branch (now called Tea & Tea) on Mott St. in Chinatown.

Yes, the quality varies between bubble tea shops, and not every flavor will be to everyone's taste, just as is the case with coffee lounges and such-like that offer a variety of coffees.

Frankly, I hope that the flavored-tea shops, by any other name, are here to stay.

#39 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:32 PM

Yup. I used to love that Orbitz stuff too  :laugh:

Oh hell. you guys LIKED Orbitz? That stuff is nasty.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#40 hjshorter

hjshorter
  • participating member
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 05:34 AM

Check out this previous thread for other thoughts on the topic:

http://forums.egulle...5&hl=bubble tea

This was huge in Japan a couple of years back, but haven't seen it anywhere for a year or so. Maybe it is seasonal (everything here is!) and will be back in summer.

I swear I searched for a previous thread... :angry:

Thanks!
Heather Johnson
In Good Thyme

#41 tissue

tissue
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 09:39 AM

This drink is from Taiwan, specifically Tainan.

My favorite is jasmine milk tea or passionfruit green tea.

In the summetime I like to get mango slush.

#42 skyflyer3

skyflyer3
  • participating member
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:45 PM

A great bubble tea place in Seattle is Ambrosia, where the proprietor supposedly studied with a tea master in China before opening her shop here. I actually prefer the milkshakes to the teas - my favorite flavors are honeydew and canteloupe. I've been to Pochi in the U-district, and found it was a little too creamy and rich. Those shakes do pack a wallop of calories, especially since you get so much. I love the gizmos that heal seal the tops to the cups - they're very practical, and the Hello Kitty type images on them are very cute.

#43 hillvalley

hillvalley
  • participating member
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 11:04 AM

I am completely addicted to the stuff. I just discovered it this summer. My favorite is vanilla and mango. Can you get the bubbles at Asian markets?
True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.
It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

#44 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:40 PM

I Did think the 'bubbles' were cool though. A bit scary though since they were black. Why are they black? Are they soaked in tea? is this what makes the drink 'TEA'?

They're supposed to be tea flavoured, but they usually have such a mild flavour that they don't taste like anything at all.

One place in Winnipeg makes bubble tea smoothies. They use a bit of half-and-half along with the powdered flavourings and blend it with ice so it's thick and rich. I always get the ones made with real fruit--mango, young coconut, or avocado. Those are the best. The ones made with just the powdered flavourings are pretty horrid (in my opinion).

#45 Schneier

Schneier
  • participating member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 09:41 PM

I see bubble tea more and more on dim sum cart around the country. Frankly, I don't see the point.

#46 jcsaucey

jcsaucey
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 01:41 AM

I used to cook the tapioca out in a chocolate-anise milk. The tapoica units sucked the flavor right up.
cook slow, eat slower
J.Chovancek

#47 HollyB

HollyB
  • legacy participant
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 11:04 AM

Can you get the bubbles at Asian markets? -- hillvalley

Yes. At the Asian mart near me they have both black and 'rainbow', though I can't tell a difference in flavor. A bag of dried boba costs about $2, and is enough to make more bubble tea than I'll consume in this lifetime.

#48 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 04:29 PM

i've also seen, at a korean market in nyc, bubble tea "kit". you can throw a bubble tea party at home :laugh:

#49 hillvalley

hillvalley
  • participating member
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 04:43 PM

My bubble tea place has the kits as well. I think they are expensive though :sad:

Does anyone drink hot bubble tea? I have craved one ever since I found this thread, but it is too cold right now to even think about it.
True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.
It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

#50 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 04:52 PM

based on the texture of the tapioca, i think that a hot tea might be pretty dangerous! imagine getting that thing stuck on your tongue :blink: . also, tapioca's starchy qualities are brought out by heat...it could get gummy :biggrin:

#51 Pan

Pan
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 05:10 PM

Does anyone drink hot bubble tea?

Of course! My favorite is taro green milk tea - hot in cold weather, iced in hot weather.

#52 newsbabe

newsbabe
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:26 PM

If you want to make this at home, do you use just regular tapioca that you find at the supermarket? Or does it have to be some special Asian tapioca?

#53 SteveW

SteveW
  • participating member
  • 754 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:11 AM

Where is the best place(s) to drink bubble tea in the Toronto-area? Meaning an establishment using quality teas, & fresh fruits(no powder stuff).

-Steve

#54 jpr54_

jpr54_
  • participating member
  • 555 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:26 AM

Capital Teas at 3196 Yonge Street sells good tea and may also have bubble tea-
There is interesting article on bubble tea in March 2004 Fresh Cup magazine-
www.freshcup.com
You may also want to check yahoo group teamail-frequently asked questions-or post there your question there as well-
Joanne

Edited by jpr54_, 22 March 2004 - 10:27 AM.

#55 wagyuboy

wagyuboy
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 10:12 PM

I remember reading an article recently about a bar here in NYC that serves bubble tea martinis, which sounds interesting.

#56 phaelon56

phaelon56
  • legacy participant
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:46 AM

For all you Bubble tea enthusiasts... there's a lively discussion currently taking place in the

Wash DC & DelMarVA Forum Bubble tea thread

#57 fido dido

fido dido
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:09 PM

As an Asian myself and a lover of mochi, tapioca, and sago, I detest bubble tea bubbles. I agree with the comments previous about them adding a textural dimension to drinks, but like some other commentators, I find the sheer size of the bubbles to be a con. Every time I try to take a sip of my drink, I slurp up five or six bubbles. This is a problem if you really are thirsty and end up being too full of bubbles to continue with the liquid part of your drink. Much more refreshing and easy to swallow (literally) are the tapioca and sago mentioned above, but even better are nata de coco (coconut meat or jelly, I'm not sure exactly what it translates to) and grass jelly. Both are smaller than bubbles but larger than tapioca, and very light and easy to digest. Try them out if you see them on the menu. As for favorite bubble tea flavors, Saint's Alp in Hong Kong makes a lovely honey and strawberry tea....and of course, I order it with nata de coco. :)

Edited by fido dido, 26 April 2004 - 06:35 PM.

#58 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:41 PM

Just had my first bubble tea. The guy at the shop (a former IT guy who was looking for something to do a couple of years ago) said that when he and his partner opened there were only five shops in the DFW area, and now there are aboput 20. I'll have to go back once to try the Durian Smoothie, but that's probably it for me.

#59 tryska

tryska
  • participating member
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:52 AM

i love bubble tea. or at least the bubble tea from the place i get it. the tapioca balls taste sorta caramelly to me.

#60 Mystic

Mystic
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:07 PM

Yep, in Vancouver, bubble tea is extremely popular and quite common. Flavours and quality definitely range from place to place.

Watermelon kicks ass!