Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pictorial: Joong/Jongzi-Sticky Rice/Bamboo Leaves

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 PopsicleToze

PopsicleToze
  • participating member
  • 944 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:04 AM

Those are beautiful!! And they are very easy to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late snack. :wub:

#32 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

Those are beautiful!!  And they are very easy to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late snack. :wub:

View Post

Thanks for your kind comment, and I agree completely, these can be eaten at any time of day.

I forgot to mention how much we both liked the aroma exuded while the packages were boiling - a very grassy, almost tea-like scent that filled the kitchen. I will definitely make these again!

#33 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

My teenager and I made these yesterday.
We made about 25 packages (two pots full).  Our wrapping is inartful but they held together!  :laugh:
Posted Image

View Post

Your first attempt looks delicious! I love how the ingredients look juicy and melding into the rice. The chorizo would add a nice spicy flavour.

If you don't eat pork, you might try a Malaysian version with beef rendang that Tepee suggested many posts ago. The recipe can be found thru' google, but I used the one from Cradle of Flavour.

If you've never eaten joong before, then the rendang wouldn't confuse you the way it did with my family who are used the traditional version I usually make. It didn't stop them from devouring all the packets tho'! :laugh:
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#34 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

Your first attempt looks delicious! I love how the ingredients look juicy and melding into the rice. The chorizo would add a nice spicy flavour.

If you don't eat pork, you might try a Malaysian version with beef rendang that  Tepee  suggested many posts ago. The recipe can be found thru' google, but I used the one from Cradle of Flavour.

If you've never eaten joong before, then the rendang wouldn't confuse you the way it did with my family who are used the traditional version I usually make. It didn't stop them from devouring all the packets tho'! :laugh:

View Post

Thank you so much for the compliment! Can I ask how "joong" is pronounced? I am embarrassed to say that I don't know (although mine may not technically be "joong" since they have a phony filling :wink: )

I actually don't eat any meat, except for chicken, but others in my family do eat meat, so the next time that I make these, I think I will make several different fillings. It seems like a versatile technique and I just cannot get over how much flavor the bamboo leaves imparted to the contents!

ETA: My local market did not have any salted eggs, but they did have some eggs that were labeled "preserved" and they were solid black (both the yolks and the egg white). I did not purchase these as they did not look like the ones shown above in the pictorial. Would the preserved eggs have been a good addition? To be honest, they were not visually appealing but I do not know how they would taste. The shop owner just shook his head at me when I picked up the package!

Edited by kbjesq, 04 August 2008 - 12:27 PM.

#35 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:34 PM

They look great K!!!

What brand of veggie sausage did you use?

Edited by CaliPoutine, 04 August 2008 - 12:35 PM.

#36 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:00 PM

They look great K!!!

What brand of veggie sausage did you use?

View Post

Hey Randi! Wish I could share some with you . . . the phony sausage was just whatever brand that Publix sells. As you know, choices are limited around here! :wink:

Do you think the seniors would like joong?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, even though this was my first taste, I definitely consider this some serious comfort food. It was really, really good. I wasn't sure that I would like the texture of the rice because I don't normally like soft rice at all, but the flavors melded (sp?) together so well that it was just a unique experience. And very yummy.

#37 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:45 PM

View Post

Thank you so much for the compliment! Can I ask how "joong" is pronounced? I am embarrassed to say that I don't know (although mine may not technically be "joong" since they have a phony filling :wink: )

I actually don't eat any meat, except for chicken, but others in my family do eat meat, so the next time that I make these, I think I will make several different fillings. It seems like a versatile technique and I just cannot get over how much flavor the bamboo leaves imparted to the contents!

ETA: My local market did not have any salted eggs, but they did have some eggs that were labeled "preserved" and they were solid black (both the yolks and the egg white).

View Post

Joong is pronounced like the name "Joan" except with a "down accent" if that makes any sense!

You can make rendang with chicken instead of beef if that helps.

The shop owner did the right thing shaking his head. The preserved eggs are for eating out of the shell with pickled ginger or diced to put into congee (Chinese rice porridge - comfort food). They definitely would not be a good addtion for joong.

I am so far away from my supply of joong at the moment, and I want some! :sad:
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#38 CFT

CFT
  • participating member
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:03 AM

Thank you so much for the compliment!  Can I ask how "joong" is pronounced?  I am embarrassed to say that I don't know (although mine may not technically be "joong" since they have a phony filling  :wink: )

http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-can/search.php?q=%BA%EA

Click on sound file (loudspeaker icon) for zung3.
Best Wishes,
Chee Fai.

#39 Ben Hong

Ben Hong
  • participating member
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:34 AM

Joong is pronounced like the name "Joan" except with a "down accent" if that makes any sense!

View Post

But, if you speak "proper" Toysanese, then it is doong :laugh: :raz: .

Edited by Ben Hong, 05 August 2008 - 08:34 AM.

#40 Burma VonFurston

Burma VonFurston
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

I would like to try this recipe, and freeze the Joong. Can someone tell me if you have to steam all of the joong and then freeze or can you freeze them after they are wrap??

#41 hzrt8w

hzrt8w
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:59 AM

I would like to try this recipe, and freeze the Joong. Can someone tell me if you have to steam all of the joong and then freeze or can you freeze them after they are wrap??

View Post

You absolutely need to cook the rice (and the rest of the ingredients) first before freezing the joong for storage.
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

#42 Burma VonFurston

Burma VonFurston
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

excellent, thank you!

#43 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

I read online that the Dragon Boat Festival is June 23. Will anyone else be making joong/jongzi? It is my goal to find the necessary authentic ingredients this year, which means I have to start early. Unfortunately there are no well-stocked Asian markets nearby!

#44 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

To practice wrapping, I made one pot of vegetarian joong today. I was able to include yellow split mung beans, black mushroom, dried shrimp, peanuts, and soy sausage with supplies on hand. I will have to make a road trip to a good Asian market to find chestnuts, conpoy and Chinese sausage.

joong.jpg

#45 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

I won't be able to make mine until July 1st - a long weekend for me - as my teaching keeps me too busy!

I haven't made any since my mother passed away 2 years ago, and my kids and extended families are requesting the ones that "you and Po-Po used to make". I pretty much need the whole weekend to make the +100 or so to fill many tummies.

Maybe my daughter will come home that weekend and we can carry on the tradition of Mother and Daughter Joong session! She learned how with Po-Po. :wub:

Here's the link to our 3-generation joong session:

http://www.hillmanwe...os/joongzi.html
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#46 Prawncrackers

Prawncrackers
  • participating member
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

My mother gave me two joong the other week. She didn't make them, they were given to her by one of the old Hakka aunties, so she didn't know what was inside. I don't really don't like the nut filled ones, give me the fatty belly pork, lap cheung ones everyday. So i was massively disappointed when both turned out to be nut! Such was my disgust with the nut affair I decided to make my own. There are loads of ways to wrap a joong but I've been taught to make the pillow shaped ones. Depending on the size of the leaves you can use two or three. You know I don't think I've ever eaten a triangular joong!

I thought I had some siu yuk in the freezer but when I came to look there was none. So i had to make do with just lap cheung, lap yuk and some conpoy. Anyone else wrap them this way?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 adey73

adey73
  • participating member
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Prawn, you ever found conpoy in the UK?
Only ever seen dried shrimp.
“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

#48 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

I ordered a "joong mold" from the Wok Shop in SF. My hope is that I can make pretty wrapped bundles like those shown in this thread on Chowhound: http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/405795

Attached Images

• 2012-06-19_11-43-57_453.jpg

#49 Prawncrackers

Prawncrackers
  • participating member
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Prawn, you ever found conpoy in the UK?
Only ever seen dried shrimp.

Never, I always have a stash in the freezer from previous trips to Hong Kong. I sometimes get given them as gifts from relatives too. I don't think you can buy them in this country.

#50 CFT

CFT
  • participating member
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:23 AM

Anyone else wrap them this way?

Yes, my mother wraps them in rectangular pillow shapes. I don't like peanut ones either. I like the pork belly ones with green mung bean and salted duck egg yolks (been ages since I've had one so the duck egg might be a false memory). I think chestnuts would be a good addition.
Best Wishes,
Chee Fai.

#51 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

I was given 2 doz. salted egg yolks, and I am the only one who likes joong with the yolks. By mid next week, I will have pieces of pork butt sitting in salt and the bamboo leaves soaking, ready to be boiled in vinegar.. Other ingredients will be dried shrimp meat, lap cheung, dong goo, onion, and chestnuts. No mung beans or yellow beans for me!
I wrap them in the pillow shape but differently from yours Prawn. My Mom made the "twisted" ones. I can, once in a while, by accident. :laugh:
I see you like chili sauce with your joong, Prawn...Me too!
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#52 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Kids and families were home this weekend, and they reminded me that Fifth day of the Fith month is June 12: dragon boats and joong season!  AND, they brought home packages of bamboo leaves...How clever!

So, this morning, I was up at 6 am, got all the ingredients ready: lap cheong, salted pork, salted duck egg yolks, peanuts, dong goo, Spanish onion, glutinous rice, jasmine rice, seasonings, and leaves (soaked and washed leaves 2 nights ago).

Reminded my daughter how to wrap the joong as she had made them a few years back with my Mom. Taught my 8 months-pregnant daughter-in-law how to make them ( I took my Mom's role:-), and left them to it while I made another of their requests: steamed Chinese sponge cake.

They ended up with 84 packets of joongzi. I am boiling the last 2 doz now. Each family left with 18 packets plus cake.

3JenAndChina0150.jpg

5JoongziShape0143.jpg

4Joongzi0153.jpg

Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese