Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cape May, NJ

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31 pnapoli

pnapoli
  • participating member
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:44 PM

thanks Katie. i think you're right. i'm bummed...i liked it. well, the good news is that Sea Salt up in stone harbor, which looked like it had shut down, is still around and will be opening this weekend.

btw, anything new and exciting going on at martini beach? is the menu still oriented toward tapas/small plates?

#32 steakas

steakas
  • participating member
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:55 PM

Does anyone know why Daniel's on Broadway closed?
:D

#33 pnapoli

pnapoli
  • participating member
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

i think the owner decided to open a much more casual place -- Island Grill -- which is just off the mall.

#34 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

btw, anything new and exciting going on at martini beach? is the menu still oriented toward tapas/small plates?

The menu I saw this weekend looked like it had a few smaller items on it, but was for all intents a regular menu. I had the charred asparagus and beet salad and the mussels on Saturday evening and they were both delicious. The mussels were a bowl full with a tomatoey broth and a bit of feta cheese crumbled over the top. I wished I'd had more bread to dunk in the sauce. Sunday night we started with the Asian Crab soup that had a lot of lump crab meat in it and a big tangle of cellophane noodles. I had the pork chop and a taste of my friend's lamb chops. Both also very tasty.

The menu will be growing larger when the real season starts. Certainly worth you checking it out one night. Martini Beach has been remodelled inside to be less "clubby" and more oriented to fine dining. The menu is a reflection of that, I think.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#35 Deldino

Deldino
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:16 AM

Friday we will surely be at Cabana's for happy hour and snacks (our ritual start to the weekend) They have a really good panko crusted chicken tenders with 3 sauces. Perfect light meal with some crappy fries.

Head upstairs to Martini Beach for better drinks and food. Much as I like Cabana's, there's no contest which menu is better.

Unless the crappy fries are the thing that keeps you going back... :rolleyes:

View Post

Hey I just noticed that I wrote CRAPPY fries and what I meant was CRABBY fries.
Anyhow we are heading back down to Cape May the weekend of June 1st, any updates on the restaurant scene. Have you tried Moonfish Grill?

Oh and is Martini Beach casual or dressy?

Thanks for any updates.

#36 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

It goes either way. I've seen folks in flip flops and tank tops as well as some other folks pretty decked out. Casual but neat would probably get you in the door almost anywhere. It is the beach, after all.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#37 Deldino

Deldino
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:11 AM

It goes either way. I've seen folks in flip flops and tank tops as well as some other folks pretty decked out. Casual but neat would probably get you in the door almost anywhere. It is the beach, after all.

View Post

Thanks Katie!

#38 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

dang, katie - missed you this year!!

we were down the shore from 6-15 may. ate mostly at our condo which is an oceanfront . had thought to go into cape may but have been monitoring martini beach on the ardore website and noticed the emphasis has shifted quite away from small plates to larger ones. maybe next year we'll hit up the bar and just order small stuff which seems to suit both john and i better.

we did stumble into a place in the crest that is more of a year round/local hangout this year after our owners meeting. it's called the Bayview Inn. one of the guys mentioned to johnnybird that this place had $2 drafts of things like Farmhouse Fish, Newcastle, Guiness and a few others I can't remember since i tend not to be a beer girl. we went sunday after the meeting and had the sunday special - 14.99 for a salad, appetizer and main. john got steamed shrimp(about 15) and a pound of snow crab legs; i got the bruscetta(5 pieces) and the steak(8 oz ny strip cooked a bit over medium) and cake(crab that is). draft newcastle for john. total was 33.99 plus some of the best service we have had from carol. i took home both baked potatoes and my crab cake. the potatoes became eggypotatoes for john's breakfasts and the crab cake became his lunch the two days later. next time we go back on a sunday we may just order off the appetizer/raw bar menus since until 6 pm it is half price.

next day after major birding - and getting going at the crack of 1400 - i didn't feel like cooking so.... back to Bayview. we sat at the bar this time and freaked the bartender out by ordering 1 Newcastle, 1 Farmhouse Fish and 1 empty glass. tasted each seperately then did the black and tan treatment on them in the empty glass. john had the crabcake sandwich as well as another order of the bruschetta and i had the buffalo chicken sandwich. ended taking half of this home and had it for breakfast. really would be cool if they offered this as a wrap...and suggested it to the bartender.

Bayview Inn
8100 Bayview Dr
Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260
(609) 522-1287
The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#39 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

Suzi:

Dang! We've crossed like ships in the night again!

Thanks for the info on the Bayview Inn. Sounds like a winner. I'll definitely check that out later this summer.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#40 Deldino

Deldino
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:46 AM

So we are heading off this weekend to Cape May for our anniversary.
We decided to try Moonfish Grill since there is music there on Fridays. Then I am leaving Saturday open and we may try Martini Beach per Katie's suggestion.

Any last minute suggestions? And has anyone been to the C-View Inn - someone just told me they have the best chicken wings, and my husband likes them with a nice beer for a snack!

Thanks and have a great weekend everyone.

#41 Jeff L

Jeff L
  • participating member
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:19 PM

And has anyone been to the C-View Inn - someone just told me they have the best chicken wings, and my husband likes them with a nice beer for a snack! 

Thanks and have a great weekend everyone.

View Post

(This is my 3rd attempt at posting)

I love this place as it is so un Cape May but pretty decent bar food. And yes, the wings really are quite good even though I am not a big fanof wings in general. I love it for the local scene, as that is mostly who hangs out there along with after hours resto workers. Prices are cheap and there is no "C" view or any other water view other than what spills on the floor :raz: Also family friendly

Edited by Jeff L, 31 May 2007 - 05:28 PM.

#42 pnapoli

pnapoli
  • participating member
  • 496 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

love the C-View. wings are great. enjoy your weekend!

#43 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

I stopped by the C-View several weeks ago when I was down in Cape May because it was the last night before it changed hands. At least that's what I'd been told. Seems there's new ownership. :unsure:

Copper Fish is most definitely CLOSED. It was dark on both Sunday and Monday of Memorial Day weekend when I was there last.

There was a seemingly new place almost directly across from Lobster House that is a restaurant and Pizza place that I'd not noticed before. Lucky Bones Backwater Grille and Pizza. Parking lot was packed whenever I passed it last weekend. It's owned by one of the Craig brothers from the Washington Inn. Apparently it opened in April 2006, but I'd seriously never noticed it before this past weekend. It's right at the foot of the bridge as you come onto the island. If anyone has info I'd be curious what it's about.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#44 Jeff L

Jeff L
  • participating member
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:54 AM

I stopped by the C-View several weeks ago when I was down in Cape May because it was the last night before it changed hands.  At least that's what I'd been told. Seems there's new ownership.  :unsure:

View Post

That's not good. Usually means everything changes. I had the pleasure of meeting the owner there a few times and he seemed like he knew what he was doing. He had a few old school waitresses and really good barkeeps on staff. I could be wrong but I got the feeling he just came in to collect the $$$

#45 Deldino

Deldino
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:56 PM

I stopped by the C-View several weeks ago when I was down in Cape May because it was the last night before it changed hands.  At least that's what I'd been told. Seems there's new ownership.   :unsure:

Copper Fish is most definitely CLOSED.  It was dark on both Sunday and Monday of Memorial Day weekend when I was there last.

There was a seemingly new place almost directly across from Lobster House that is a restaurant and Pizza place that I'd not noticed before.  Lucky Bones Backwater Grille and Pizza.  Parking lot was packed whenever I passed it last weekend.  It's owned by one of the Craig brothers from the Washington Inn.  Apparently it opened in April 2006, but I'd seriously never noticed it before this past weekend.  It's right at the foot of the bridge as you come onto the island.  If anyone has info I'd be curious what it's about.

View Post

We just got back from Cape May and we did get a chance to check out Lucky Bones - I have to say it was quite good, we both had large salads, I had the house and hubbie had the Ceaser - then he had the ribs and I had a pizza margarita. Everything was really good and very fresh the salads were huge and not a bad leaf in the bunch. The pizza was thin crust and cooked perfect no soggy crust, though the sauce tasty very cheesy (romano I think) but I was ok with that. With a couple of drinks each it was honestly the best price for the food we had all weekend. We also tried the Moonfish Grille which was also very good, we went on Friday so there was a guitar player so that made it even more enjoyable. I had the fire roasted chicken over parm risotta and my husband had some sushi with seaweed salad and then the halibut. He enjoyed it all. The seawood salad was really outstanding and so cold it was refreshing.
We went to Mad Batter for dinner and I have to say although the dinner was ok, not so great for the price they charge. As for lunch we did burgers at Ugly Mug and margarita shrimp and salad at Capanas. Had a great time all and all.

Oh and we hit the Boiler Room for some Blues with Frank Bey - had a rocking time.

Edited by Deldino, 04 June 2007 - 02:58 PM.

#46 Nancy HM

Nancy HM
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:34 AM

Lucky Bones has great pizza and huge martinis. But it is NOISY and crowded - best to forget about it until autumn.

#47 Deldino

Deldino
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:36 AM

Lucky Bones has great pizza and huge martinis.  But it is NOISY and crowded - best to forget about it until autumn.

View Post

I think we were slightly ahead of the crowd time-wise, so it worked out well for us.
It was getting more crowded as we were leaving.

#48 pnapoli

pnapoli
  • participating member
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

at first i was lukewarm about Lucky Bones, but now i really like it -- for what it is, that is, which is basically better-than-average pub grub. and others must feel the same, since the place is always crowded, even in the dead of winter. it definitely fills a niche on the cape island dining scene.

#49 Deldino

Deldino
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:05 AM

at first i was lukewarm about Lucky Bones, but now i really like it -- for what it is, that is, which is basically better-than-average pub grub.  and others must feel the same, since the place is always crowded, even in the dead of winter.  it definitely  fills a niche on the cape island dining scene.

View Post

That is a great way to desribe it - "better than average pub grub" and exactly what we for looking for that day. A few days in Cape May and even the hamburger places add up to over 40$ for lunch (which includes a drink or two) - I ALWAYS forget and underbudget lunch.

#50 scarlet knight

scarlet knight
  • participating member
  • 422 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:53 PM

We're going to Cape May late next week. We haven't been there since Sept. '05., although we go almost once a year for many years. We are going to the Black Duck one night. Where else would you go?

We don't like 410 Bank. Found the Ebbitt Room a little too precious. Lobster House-no, no, no. We like the Washington Inn, although last time they rushed us through our meal in world record time. Is there anything new there?

#51 Deldino

Deldino
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:25 AM

We're going to Cape May late next week. We haven't been there since Sept. '05., although we go almost once a year for many years. We are going to the Black Duck one night. Where else would you go?

We don't like 410 Bank. Found the Ebbitt Room a little too precious. Lobster House-no, no, no. We like the Washington Inn, although last time they rushed us through our meal in world record time. Is there anything new there?

View Post

We really enjoyed the Moonfish Grill - the food was very good, the service was a tiny bit slow but they had a guitar player where we sat so it was fine to wait.

I think this is their website

http://www.moonfishgrill.com/Home.asp

#52 pnapoli

pnapoli
  • participating member
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

hey Scarlet Knight...

have you tried Frescos (next to 410 and same owners)? i went recently for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. i thought it was better than 410, which i used to like but now, not so much. and the service was great, too.

haven't been to the Pier House (the former Water's Edge) yet but it's on my to-try list for the summer. the menu doesn't excite me much but i keep seeing the chef on the local cable channel (the show that promotes all the Wildwood restaurants) and his segment has piqued my interest.

let's see...what else...not sure if your comment about the Ebbitt Room was directed at the food or the atmosphere, but if it was the latter, did you know you can order small plates while sitting on the front porch -- might be a nice alternative if you like the food but find the dining room to be a bit much (which i get, btw but i think the food is great :laugh: ).

oh yeah -- how about Union Park? i've only been once but thought it was quite good, and i've really got to get back there to try their burger, which sounds tempting. decor-wise, it's sort of a fuddy duddy hotel dining room as you'd expect, but the vibe made up for it -- a little loud, but relaxed and fun.

have a great time!

go Rutgers, yo

Edited by pnapoli, 02 July 2007 - 07:21 PM.

#53 Wiener

Wiener
  • participating member
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

Try the mussels at Lucky Bones. Interesting pasta with gorgonzola sauce. Only thing I don't like is the mess it makes. Not so easy to eat. The Italian beer is light and refreshing. Usually have to wait about 35 minutes but they have a nice porch. Have been there a few times this month. Less crowded because of the chill in the air down there.
Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

#54 pnapoli

pnapoli
  • participating member
  • 496 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:50 AM

Copper Fish is most definitely CLOSED.  It was dark on both Sunday and Monday of Memorial Day weekend when I was there last.

they're open!

#55 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

they're open!

View Post

Really? Are the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse sitting at the bar, by any chance? :rolleyes:

Doesn't sound like they're off to a good start this season. I can't imagine any reason not to open two months ago and miss half of an already short season in which to make one's annual receipts. Having worked a restaurant through a bankruptcy, I recognize the harbingers of insolvency when I see them.

I wish them the best of luck. Perhaps I'll finally get a chance to check the place out on my next trip down.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#56 pnapoli

pnapoli
  • participating member
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:19 AM

they've got a big ad in Exit Zero this week saying "we're back...new management, new chef, new look, new menu". the new chef is formerly of Moonfish Grill. i'll try to get over there next week.

#57 monavano

monavano
  • participating member
  • 839 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

My DH and I recently spent a few glorious days in Cape May, NJ. We stayed at the Sandpiper Resort instead of a BNB for the first time. Since it was equipped with a full kitchen, we were able to enjoy the local foods and do some cooking.
On the way there, we stopped at a roadside farm stand and picked up some Jersey tomatoes, corn, lima beans and nectarines. Everything was amazing, especially the Jersey tomatoes.
We had a few good meals out too. Union Park Café in the Hotel Macomber has a lovely old school hotel dining room, with very nice service. Our two meals were a bit of a dichotomy, however. I ordered the asparagus soup with crab, and the Chilean sea bass over sautéed spinach and a manchego cheese potato pancake. Both were delicious and plated nicely.
My DH was not as fortunate in his selections. His appetizer was shrimp served with a tamarind dipping sauce and pineapple. It was cold and skimpy. For the main, duck breast was complimented nicely with a red wine reduction sauce but was plated as if it were meatloaf with 2 sides. The sides, greens on one and corn on the other looked heaped onto the plate and did not make any rhyme or reason sitting next to the duck.
We shared a creme brulee with berries and it was a great way to end the meal.

Gecko did not disappoint once again. I'm so glad this restaurant has become a perennial figure in Cape May's dining scene. We shared an order of mussels vera cruz which came in white wine sauce with olives, capers, tomatoes and onions. It only needed crusty bread to sop up the delicious liquid.
Chile rellenos camerones came with homemade black beans, jicama, pumpkin seeds, cheese and a roasted tomato cascabel sauce. DH's fajitas came with a huge amount of perfectly medium rare skirt steak. It made for tasty huevos rancheros the next morning. My only regret is that there was no room for dessert, which they get from a local German bakery.

We visited the raw bar at The Lobster House a couple times as well. The shrimp cocktail was a good deal at $8 for a dozen large firm shrimp. The crab cake sandwich is a shredded wad of under seasoned crab, deep fried with Sysco fries so bad they reminded me of the "low grade but edible" specimens I ate in high school.
On the upswing again was the cream of crab soup, laden with crab in every spoonful. Oysters Rockefeller and a 2 1/2 lb. lobster (for $26) served with corn and a baked potato had us rolling out.

We also did a little pizza comparison. Blue Moon pizza serves very thin cracker like crust pizza, toped with dabs of a slightly sweet tomato sauce and cheese. Louie's pizza (apparently voted best) was also very good, with a more doughy thicker crust and sauce topped evenly with cheese. We preferred Blue Moon.

And my favorite is Fudge Kitchen's chocolate covered salt water taffies. Like little foil wrapped crack, they are!

Edited by monavano, 17 September 2007 - 01:57 PM.

#58 mascarpone

mascarpone
  • participating member
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

My wife will be in the area for the 4th of July. I just wanted to bump up this thread to see if there are any recommendations on any new places or news on developments on the old places.

thanks.

#59 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:15 AM

Gecko's remains one of my favorite places in Cape May. Chef is from Santa Fe and does delicious Southwestern cuisine. BYOB to boot. The basket of warm mini corn muffins that come with butter and jalapeno jelly to slather on top are reason enough to go on their own. But the apps and mains are excellent as well.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#60 mascarpone

mascarpone
  • participating member
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:03 PM

Thanks, KatieLoeb!