Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

sugar-free sorbet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sagestrat

sagestrat
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

We had dinner last week at a friend's (in Switzerland, no less). She served three sugar-free (well, no added sugar) sorbets: mandarin, lychee, and melon. Any thoughts on how this was done? I assume juicing (vs. pureeing) and freezing?

#2 SuzySushi

SuzySushi
  • participating member
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:51 PM

Here's a link to a sorbet recipe that uses Splenda. It suggests pureed melon or raspberries as the fruit, but I'm sure you could use others.
SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."
My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

#3 sagestrat

sagestrat
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:57 PM

That would probably work. However, there was no added sweetener at all. It was really very refreshing.

#4 SuzySushi

SuzySushi
  • participating member
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:25 PM

That would probably work. However, there was no added sweetener at all. It was really very refreshing.

View Post

Well, you don't need sweetener for the freezing process. The flavor would then depend on the natural sweetness of the fruit.
SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."
My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

#5 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

Well, you don't need sweetener for the freezing process. The flavor would then depend on the natural sweetness of the fruit.

View Post

Technically you don't need any sugars, but it will freeze rock hard. If there's really no sugars of any type added, then there has to be something else in there with thermogenic properties keeping in soft...

#6 sagestrat

sagestrat
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 02:09 PM

Any idea what that might be?

#7 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 03:00 PM

Any idea what that might be?

View Post

Booze?

#8 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:51 AM

I suppose it could be stabilized with gelatin and or guar/xantham gum and then kept at a very high service temp like 20 degrees. You'd need a dedicated service freezer for something like that.