Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Preserved Lemons

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#271 FlyingChopstik

FlyingChopstik
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:37 AM

I learned so much from Paulas books and her posts. I hope shes feeling better that she can rejoin our discussions on here.

#272 Dave W

Dave W
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:44 AM

I've got some embarassingly old (3 years+) preserved lemons where the brine has turned very dark, amber in color. There's no mold in the jars and the lemons are submerged. 

Safe to use? Start over?

#273 FlyingChopstik

FlyingChopstik
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

I've got some embarassingly old (3 years+) preserved lemons where the brine has turned very dark, amber in color. There's no mold in the jars and the lemons are submerged. 

Safe to use? Start over?

Hmmmm thats a tough 1. What does it smell like? Were they in the fridge?

#274 Dave W

Dave W
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:00 PM

They were never refrigerated. They smell deep and lemony. The second layer is the same color.

f81ZAyzl.jpg

ZPBaXdYl.jpg

Edited by Dave W, 17 November 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#275 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:53 AM

If they smell deep and lemony, instead of obnoxiously off, they're probably safe - despite the disgusting color :-). I doubt pathogens can grow in that brine. I'd try a bit for taste, and if they tasted all right then I'd go ahead and use them. Note, however, that I'm cooking for healthy people with strong constitutions. If you're in doubt about the health or safety consequences you may have better peace of mind if you just discard them.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#276 Dave W

Dave W
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make use of them soon.