Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Demo: Pan Coating Candy

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:44 PM

Kerry

Thank you for posting the demo. It answered a lot of questions & will save a lot of basic trial and error. It makes me wish the class on panning was being offered this year (esp if it was in Madison again). I'm going to watch out for it.

Mark

View Post

Mark,
The course was my first time in Madison. What a delightful town. It was also my first experience with Penzey's spices, a place well worth visiting again.

First night we went looking for a place to eat quite late, found a nice little student restaurant that served bar food. On the menu there was cheese curd. Being from Canada we figured cheese curd either came in a bag, nice and squeeky on the teeth, or with french fries and gravy as poutine. It arrived deep fried, with salad dressing, and when we asked if this was curd they replied "you guys aren't from around here are ya?"

#32 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:23 PM

Kerry

Madison is great. I went to the UW & lived there for about 25 years. It is especially beautiful during the summer months. I went into Penzey's several years ago during our annual summer visit to a friend who has a house on Lake Mendota. I can sit & look at the lake for hours. The city always bring back good memories.

The university is what makes the city. There is an awful lot happening for a city of that size.

Mark
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#33 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:54 PM

So here is the stuff I coated this evening.

Posted Image Posted Image

About 1200 grams of almonds before and after coating. I used about 1 kg of milk chocolate to coat them. It took about 15 minutes for the actual coating. WhiteTruffleGirl - I suspect I could coat about 2.5 kg or so of nuts before worrying about the capacity of the pan after coating.

Posted Image Posted Image

800 grams of really big fat raisins, before and after coating with about 750 grams of milk chocolate. It took about 10 minutes or so to coat them.

Posted Image

As you can see it is difficult to fill all the nooks and crannies of raisins.

#34 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:40 PM

Awesome pics Kerry , again, demo demo demo! :biggrin:
Vanessa

#35 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:37 AM

Does anyone bought the coating pan yet?I dont know why but tonight I was thinking about it again , after a while, and was thinking to give it a try ( even though I have few more things I need to get ).
Vanessa

#36 A Patric

A Patric
  • participating member
  • 471 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:13 AM

I am looking into getting a candy coating pan. I would like to hear people's experiences with them & any tips you could give me in their usage. Thanks

View Post

I have the french unit that goes on the front of the kitchen aid that I bought through Beryls and have been experimenting with it recently.

View Post

Hi Kerry,

Do you have a link to that Kitchen Aid attachment. I couldn't find it on the Beryls site.

Thanks!

#37 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

I am looking into getting a candy coating pan. I would like to hear people's experiences with them & any tips you could give me in their usage. Thanks

View Post

I have the french unit that goes on the front of the kitchen aid that I bought through Beryls and have been experimenting with it recently.

View Post

Hi Kerry,

Do you have a link to that Kitchen Aid attachment. I couldn't find it on the Beryls site.

Thanks!

View Post

Doesn't look like Beryl's in carrying it anymore - I think it was a bit of a loss leader for her.

Looks like pastrychef.com has it, and I know that Design and Realization (www.dr.ca) make one of their own.

#38 A Patric

A Patric
  • participating member
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:04 AM

Doesn't look like Beryl's in carrying it anymore - I think it was a bit of a loss leader for her.

Looks like pastrychef.com has it, and I know that Design and Realization (www.dr.ca) make one of their own.

View Post

Kerry,

Would you say that this is the best deal that you have seen, or have you found other options that are less expensive, or perhaps have more capacity for the same or similar price?

#39 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:11 AM

View Post

Kerry,

Would you say that this is the best deal that you have seen, or have you found other options that are less expensive, or perhaps have more capacity for the same or similar price?

View Post

Well if you watch e-bay you sometimes see a little lab sized unit. I got an old Stokes unit for about $500 - but hubby had to clean it all up, change the engine oil, paint it for me. If you had to pay someone to do that it would be expensive. Darn thing weighs about 300lbs and I had to pick it up in New Jersey.

#40 A Patric

A Patric
  • participating member
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:46 AM

Well if you watch e-bay you sometimes see a little lab sized unit.  I got an old Stokes unit for about $500 - but hubby had to clean it all up, change the engine oil, paint it for me.  If you had to pay someone to do that it would be expensive.  Darn thing weighs about 300lbs and I had to pick it up in New Jersey.

View Post

Thanks.

Also looks like Union Standard has some different types of used table-top/lab machines. I don't know the pricing though.

#41 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:54 AM

Well if you watch e-bay you sometimes see a little lab sized unit.  I got an old Stokes unit for about $500 - but hubby had to clean it all up, change the engine oil, paint it for me.  If you had to pay someone to do that it would be expensive.  Darn thing weighs about 300lbs and I had to pick it up in New Jersey.

View Post

Thanks.

Also looks like Union Standard has some different types of used table-top/lab machines. I don't know the pricing though.

View Post

They aren't cheap! But they do have motors.