Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Using an egg shell to get egg shell out of eggs

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 03:38 PM

So I was cracking some eggs today and I got a bit of shell in there. So I did what I always do, and what somebody no doubt taught me to do, and what I'm sure most everybody does, which is I took half an egg shell and used it to scoop out the little bit of shell. No problem. Then it happened again (I was cracking a lot of eggs) and I thought about it and I experimented. I tried to get the little piece out with my fingers and I tried to get it out with a spoon. Absolutely no luck. The thing seemed consciously to be evading these alternate picking-up devices. So, what's going on here Why is the egg shell the best tool ever invented for getting egg shell out of egg?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#2 LaNiña

LaNiña
  • legacy participant
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 03:40 PM

Ha! That is so true. Maybe because it's really thin? And sharp? Try using something else really thin and sharp and report back.

And what were you making?

#3 Sandra Levine

Sandra Levine
  • participating member
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 03:42 PM

I like to think it wants to go home.

#4 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 03:45 PM

And what were you making?

Egg whites.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#5 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 04:02 PM

Mmmm. Egg whites.

All right, and what were you doing with the egg whites?
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

#6 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 04:06 PM

I haven't decided yet.

#7 Steve Klc

Steve Klc
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:10 AM

Have you gotten your hands on an iSi Profi Whip yet? There are several very nice foams based on egg whites.

Also, that shell trick is the best way to get spots of yolk out of the whites as well, which any meringue-maker will tell you can be detrimental to whipping whites.
Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant
Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F
  • legacy participant
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:22 AM

But Sandra, does that mean that using a chicken bone would also work??

#9 macrosan

macrosan
  • legacy participant
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:24 AM

I like leaving a few pieces of egg shell in the egg mix -- improves the texture, you know, gives it a certain crunchy authenticity. It's like the way they put soya chicken in cans of chiken soup to make you believe it was really made from real chickens.

Now Steven, you can't make egg white. You can certainly extract it from the whole egg, but you can't make it (except from soya, of course, and we all know you wouldn't do that). OK, so you now have this huge bowl of egg-white extracted from a couple of gross of fresh organic eggs, so what are you gonna do with them ? An obvious candidate is gelato, or maybe some form of appetizing, perhaps a hair rinse.

Perhaps of greater significance is the big question "Whaddya gonna do with the yolks?".

#10 Degustation

Degustation
  • participating member
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:30 AM

(Yolks = gelato) + (egg whites = angel food cake) = dessert

#11 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:34 AM

Have you gotten your hands on an iSi Profi Whip yet?

I don't have the Profi model but I've had the Easy model (button instead of lever) for years.

#12 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:36 AM

Now Steven, you can't make egg white. You can certainly extract it from the whole egg, but you can't make it

Can you make fruit salad? What separates make from extract?

#13 bushey

bushey
  • participating member
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:40 AM

I just had to fish an eggshell out this morning and used a fork quite successfully. It was in a 2-cup pyrex measuring cup so I'm not sure I would have had enough room to manouver an eggshell half. Plus, if you're only using one egg (which I was) and you had eggshells in the egg because you made a total mess of cracking (not in this case) you might not have an eggshell half to use. The one egg was for:

Pancakes. Homemade buttermilk pancakes with real maple syrup. Mmmmm.

#14 macrosan

macrosan
  • legacy participant
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:41 AM

Why do you insist on opening up these threads to Plotnicki ? :blink:

OK, if you want to make an egg-white salad, that's fine with me.

#15 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:47 AM

Bushey: How big was the piece? I can't imagine getting a tiny speck out with a fork. Are you talking about a piece that was bigger than the space between the tines of a fork? If so, that's a different category of piece from what I'm talking about.

Macrosan: My lifestyle choices may seem odd to some, but I was simply standing around with nothing to do and I decided to crack four dozen eggs and set aside the egg whites for future use. I threw out all the yolks. The dog found it all highly entertaining, and so did I.

#16 LaNiña

LaNiña
  • legacy participant
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:50 AM

Use some of it to give yourself a facial masque. No, I'm not kidding.

#17 bigbear

bigbear
  • participating member
  • 923 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:56 AM

Uh.... How do you crack an egg? Mostly, I see people do it on the rim of a bowl or something, but I thought you're supposed to do it on a flat surface.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#18 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 08:04 AM

http://www.pittsburg...ch/s_13898.html

#19 bushey

bushey
  • participating member
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 08:19 AM

Fat Guy -- yes, the piece was larger than the space between the tines. For smaller pieces I use the tip of my index finger.

Aren't egg yolks supposed to be good for dogs' coats? How could you stand those big eyes watching you?

Make a dacquoise and let us know how it turns out.

I agree with Nina about the masque. Egg whites have superb pore tightening qualities. And then next time you can give yourself an alomnd and honey masque. :biggrin:

#20 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 08:28 AM

For smaller pieces I use the tip of my index finger.

That just doesn't work when I try it.

How could you stand those big eyes watching you?

That's what dogs do: They watch you. You either get used to it or go insane.

#21 bushey

bushey
  • participating member
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 08:35 AM

Sometimes I'm a softie and give in to the gaze. Depends how much of a drool puddle there is on the floor.

We've found a great treat for the dog that she can have as often as she wants: ice cubes. She comes running when she hears the ice dispenser on the fridge, and then she grabs a cube and takes it to her "special place" where she eats bones and pig ears. She's really sweet but dumb as dirt.

#22 Bux

Bux
  • 12,211 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 08:38 AM

I threw out all the yolks.

You threw out the yolks? !
Robert Buxbaum
WorldTable
Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.
My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

#23 LaNiña

LaNiña
  • legacy participant
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 08:43 AM

Maybe FG was afraid the yolks would spoil before he used them? For future reference...I use the yolks as hair conditioner treatment.

#24 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 08:43 AM

Uh.... How do you crack an egg? Mostly, I see people do it on the rim of a bowl or something, but I thought you're supposed to do it on a flat surface.

Saint Jacques Pepin says to always crack eggs on a flat surface because using the rim of the bowl will drive tiny pieces of shell into the egg. Which one then has to fish out with a larger piece of shell for their sins.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#25 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 08:44 AM

I love raw yolk mixed into hot rice.

#26 bigbear

bigbear
  • participating member
  • 923 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 08:45 AM

Thanks, Jin.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#27 CathyL

CathyL
  • legacy participant
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 08:51 AM

Maybe FG was afraid the yolks would spoil before he used them?  For future reference...I use the yolks as hair conditioner treatment.

Egg yolks freeze very successfully if you blend them with a little sugar or salt first.

Steven, I wish you hadn't raised the question of WHY the half eggshell works so well to remove broken bits. I've spent far more time than I can afford trying to beat an answer out of Google. :biggrin:

Our bulldog loved eating egg yolks (actually the only thing she didn't love was dill pickles) but it was kind of gross to watch.

#28 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 08:52 AM

You had a bulldog? Did you ever mention this to me before?

#29 CathyL

CathyL
  • legacy participant
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 09:02 AM

You had a bulldog? Did you ever mention this to me before?

You never asked. :wink:

She was 8 months old when we got her (from a reputable breeder in NJ) and was already determined to be the household's alpha dog. It took us a few years to figure this out. She was quite intelligent and unbelievably stubborn. I chuckle whenever I see someone walking [sic] a bull that's decided it won't move another step. Period.

How is Momo faring in the heat? And what's your favorite technique for cleaning his wrinkles? We finally settled on a soft cloth and warm salt water.

#30 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 09:11 AM

We use the Costco house brand of baby wipes by the cartonload. He hates the heat but we do our best to work around it. Sometimes we even make doggie play dates for him in rich people's air-conditioned mega-apartments. Today it's cool enough that we'll take him up to Fort Tryon Park in the late afternoon -- it's the best dog-run in the region. I work on the stubbornness issue with him every day -- it's a constant battle of the wills -- but we're doing quite well.