Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Baltimore – Where to eat

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#301 dwg

dwg
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

I am going to be in Baltimore from December 2-6th and would appreciate any comments about places to eat. Based on this discussion thread I am thinking about Salt as worth the effort to get to (I will be staying at the Kimpton hotel downtown). As the postings on this thread are a bit old I was wondering if anyone has recent dining experience at Salt or has any other suggestions.

As far as what I am looking for: excellent food, not too complicated, not too pretentious. Also if possible a restaurant that would allow me to bring a special bottle of wine and charge me a corkage fee.

Edited by dwg, 08 November 2011 - 04:11 PM.

#302 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

I have not been to Salt but would highly recommend Woodberry Kitchen and your hotel restaurant, the B&O American Brasserie.

I don't think you can bring your own wine to a Baltimore restaurant if they have a liquor license. (article on corkage in Maryland)

#303 dwg

dwg
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

a quick follow up. Had an absolutely outstanding meal at Woodberry Kitchen. Great atmosphere, simple but fantastic food. Its a bit of a trip from downtown but absolutely worth it.

Salt was reasonably good but not at the level of Woodberry.

Also had a very good meal at the dinning room in the Four Seasons Hotel which was very nice.

#304 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

dwg, thanks for the reporting back! Sounds like you had a nice visit. Glad that you tried Woodberry Kitchen and enjoyed it. :smile:

#305 LizD518

LizD518
  • participating member
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

I was just at Woodberry Kitchen on Friday and had a great meal. A friend and I ordered a bunch of different items (BBQ Pulled Pork Flatbread, a salad, Tillman Island Crab Pot and the macaroni & cheese) to share and told the server to just bring them out as they were ready. Everything was perfectly timed and flowed one after another and the server was attentive without being intrusive. We had a 10pm reservation and never felt rushed - actually it was still relatively busy by 11:30 when we were leaving. I also had an outstanding cocktail - a whiskey smash made with rosemary, which inspired me to make it at home yesterday. Delicious!

#306 et alors

et alors
  • participating member
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

I hope I got the right forum; was hard to tell.

I'll be in Baltimore in April for a conference, and I am seeking awesome eating opportunities. Conference is at the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront but I'm willing to taxi it for eat well...

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

#307 DTBarton

DTBarton
  • participating member
  • 968 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

There's a lot of good food close by the waterfront Marriott.  Three of Cindy Wolf's restaurants are right there within a few blocks.  Charleston is the fanciest and priciest, but it's worth it.  Prix Fixe menu, choose your number of courses http://www.charlestonrestaurant.com/  Cinghiale is more casual good Italian right near the hotel.  Pazo is Mediterranean small plates in a cool old building (my favorite) http://www.pazoresta...t.com/index.cfm

Baltimore's Little Italy is a couple blocks north of the Marriott.  Many restaurants.  Aldo's http://www.aldositaly.com/ is fancy for Little Italy and very good.  Plenty of old school red sauce places, I like Chiapparelli's, http://www.chiapparellis.com/ others will like someplace else.

For a real Baltimore experience, go to Attman's deli http://www.attmansdeli.com/ a few blocks north and east of the Marriott.

Great corned beef (much better than the pastrami) and knockwurst.  Better if you can go at a slightly off hour like 10 AM or 3 PM, the line can be really long at lunch tme.

#308 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

There was a cool episode of Andrew Zimmern's show on last night, which was all about Baltimore.  Looked like some fine places and some excellent Korean food.

Actually, last night was the original air date...

http://www.travelcha...-chesapeake-bay

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#309 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

A trip to Lexington market is a good thing. Faidley's crabcakes really are very good. There are other good things there as well.

We also like pazo though it is right on the edge of being overly pretentious. The Washington DC outfit Lebanese Tavernera has an outpost in Harbor East right by the marriot and they do a nice job as well.

Chaps does a good job with sandwiches as well and serves up Baltimore Pit Beef done correctly.

There are lots and lots of places in fells Point and I will let it up to others to reccomend them

Edited by lancastermike, 26 March 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#310 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

My picks, having gone to college there...

Helmand! Also Silk Road Bistro in Pikesville for astonishingly good Uzbek food. Nak Won (or some spelling variant) on 22nd (or thereabouts) and Charles for quality Korean. Alewife downtown for a staggeringly good burger (The Smokeburger).

#311 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

The Inner Harbor in Baltimore has many decent places but be warned that it is somewhat touristy (of course).

Since you're staying at the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront you will be close to Little Italy as some here have basically conveyed to you.  Amongst the restaurants there, AVOID Ciao Bella.  There is a lovely bakery (Vaccaro's Italian Pastry Shop) in Little Italy which has quite nice stuff and would also afford you a "late night" dessert & cappucino soirée. (It's quite popular too) 

On the waterfront just around the corner from you both Cingiale (modern Italian) and Charleston (American) are very good but will not be inexpensive. 

How long will you be there?  Will you have a car?  

The good Pit Beef places (by definition IMO "Pit Beef" only means the sort you get in Baltimore) are not anywhere near downtown B'more.  Chaps (mentioned on this thread) (...aannnd right next to a strip joint with a REALLY HIGH sign) is out on the Eastern periphery of town, for example.  Other places for good Pit Beef will need a car. 

Lexington Market (also mentioned here) is on the Western side of the downtown area and can be, uhh, colorful.  DO NOT wave your cell phone in the air [it has been known in the past for folks passing by to literally snatch your phone out of your hands and disappear into the crowd] or be careless about your personal effects (or your car, in the parking lot there).  If you're in luck, you might also see a drug deal or a gun transaction go down within your eyeshot. ;-).  I can't say I'm too fond of Faidley's Crab Cakes - even the premium ones (there are a few grades available).  They're fine, and pretty good,but not the "best" around, IMO, notwithstanding their extravagant claims to fame and their signage attesting to same which are more than a decade old.  (Their "Maryland Crab Soup" is another utter dud, BTW) Nevertheless, the Market is a very interesting place to wander through.  Just be aware of your surroundings. 

#312 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

BTW crab season in B'more/Maryland  opens only on April 1 so depending on when you are in town the "blue crabs" you may get in restaurants (and crab cakes etc) may still be stuff from Texas or the Carolinas or elsewhere (frozen E/SE Asian etc crabmeat).  You might get some local soft shell crabs early...you should ask clearly about where the crabs on the menu are from, if that is of importance to you.

#313 theminx

theminx
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

Pick up a copy of the Food Lovers' Guide to Baltimore, a new publication from Globe Pequot, for a slew of recommendations for area dining.

#314 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

Good to see you here, theminx.  Didn't know you were a participant here too.

#315 DTBarton

DTBarton
  • participating member
  • 968 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Another market option that's not quite the undertaking that Lexington Market is is the Cross Street Market in Federal Hill.

http://www.bpmarkets.com/crs1.html  A fun Baltimore experence in a gentrified neighborhood.  Very good happy hour scene with lots of food and drinks to try.

Edited by DTBarton, 02 April 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#316 et alors

et alors
  • participating member
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Wow, thanks! About ot get on a plane and I am psyched! Will share any findings.....

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

#317 theminx

theminx
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

Good to see you here, theminx.  Didn't know you were a participant here too.

Considering how infrequently I post here, I would hardly call me a "participant." :laugh:  

et alors - how was the trip?

Edited by theminx, 15 April 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#318 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 7,896 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Anyone have Baltimore food suggestions for the unadventurous and budget-minded traveler? I'll be there with family in a few weeks and am of course tasked with finding a few places to eat. Various family members have various food preferences, so the broader the menu the better.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#319 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

Will you have a car? What section(s) of Baltimore will you be in?

#320 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 7,896 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Yes, we'll have cars: staying at the airport, so bonus points for the south side of town, but time spent in the car is time I don't have to think up something else to do :). 

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#321 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

Faidley's.

And Zimmern did a show about Baltimore this season...evidently, quite an amazing Korean population with lots of great eats...I'm dying to get to some of these!

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#322 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 7,896 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, we'll probably do Faidley's for lunch one day, since I imagine that anyone not interested in crabcakes can find something else in the market. Alas, Korean is definitely not going to fly with this crowd. Anyplace with good pizza? Or a not-horrible low-end seafood place?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#323 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

I'm pretty sure Zimmern covered a wide range of stuff other than Korean.

Bunch of places here.

Lexington Market looks nice.

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#324 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 7,896 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'm pretty sure Zimmern covered a wide range of stuff other than Korean.

I'm just emphasizing that this isn't a "foodies travel to Baltimore in search of culinary adventure" kind of trip. Price-to-performance ratio is key here, as is menu diversity.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#325 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

Bill Batemans is a local chain with good food and a varied menu. Need to look at a map of the BWI area and get back to you with other suggestions.

#326 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

One of the best crabcakes near BWI is a place called Timbuktu http://www.timbukturestaurant.com and would meet what you are seeking – you can get everything from a sandwich to a fancy dinner. Not a fancy place so no need to dress up.

If they like Italian food there is a place not too far off the beaten bath call Olive Grove http://oliveg.com.  Again – varied menu and prices and no need to dress up.

Don't know if your group would be willing to try a Thai restaurant but Little Spice is a good Thai restaurant near BWI http://www.littlespi...airestaurant.co

Arundel Mills Mall is close to BWI and has a number of chain restaurants that a lot of people like and Bobby Flay Burgers is there too.

A fancier option for those who have a night they want to go out, send them to Elkridge Furnace Inn. Good food and ambiance.  https://www.elkridgefurnaceinn.com

Hope this helps and you have a great time.

#327 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 7,896 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Awesome, thanks, those are exactly the kind of places I am looking for.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#328 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

you absolutely must go to R&R Taqueria near BWI Airport (in Elkridge?). Ultra-authentic, utterly delicious Mexico City cuisine...in a gas station. It's worth the trip.

Edited by Hassouni, 03 June 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#329 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:29 AM

Grace Garden in Odenton is just a bit SW of BWI and I understand is considered one of the finest places around to have some Chinese food, if your party wants some of that. I myself have not eaten there but the place is thought by some folks to be equivalent to very good places (or even better) in NY or even SF.  There are two menus - the trick is to order off the "Chinese" menu; or alternatively speak with the wait staff or the chef. The price-to-performance ratio should be very good.

http://gracegardenchinese.com/

https://www.google.c...lient=firefox-a

Edited by huiray, 04 June 2013 - 03:09 AM.

#330 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Awesome, thanks, those are exactly the kind of places I am looking for.

Chris, a friend in Maryland just tipped me off to another place that I think your group will enjoy, The Stanford Grill www.thestanfordgrill.com. My friend said, "They refer to themselves as a scratch kitchen and they are known for their Woodfire Grilled rotisserie chicken and ribs. I had the chicken and it was amazing – even more amazing was their Red Velvet cake which was made red by adding Molly Dooker wine – a decadent indulgence."