Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Copenhagen

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#31 jakob nielsen

jakob nielsen
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:31 AM

There is an american grocery store in Peder Hvidtfelfts Stræde 13. I haven't been there myself, but I have been told, they have lots of good stuff.

As to korean restaurants, its a little more difficult. There is on called O Mo Nim, which one of my friends swear by. Its in Gasværksvej 21.

I haven't read through all the postings in this thread, so I dont know if anyone has Mentioned Noma.
That would be my recommendation for foreigners looking for a dining experience in Copenhagen. We have plenty of top end restaurants, serving french/italian cuisine, but Noma is a truly Nordic experience. No foie gras, but loads of shellfish, and also dishes like Musk Oxe! They have recently been awarded a Michelin star. Kommandaten which is mentioned above has lost one, so the only restaurant with 2 stars currently is Ensemble, but the two chefs behind that restaurant has left since. The same thing has happened at D'angleterre, where the restaurant was turning into a top place, but there was a clash with the owners.

Top of the pops right know probably is Paustian, Premisse, Restaurant Oubæk, and the classic Kong Hans, they all have webpages.
For cheaper eats try Le Le in Vesterbrogade, og Spicylicious in Istedgade.

Jakob

#32 Poots

Poots
  • participating member
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:56 AM

The store on Peder Hvidtfelfts Stræde is the only American store that i know of although i've never been there either. Although i've never had Korean in Copenhagen there are lots of other restaurants. In the asian realm there is Lai Hoos a casual cantonese place on Stor Kongensgade in the center of city(right off Kongens Have). Spicylicious that the Jakob mentioned is a good thai place in Vesterbro. Another good thai restaurant is Thai Esan 1 which is on Lille Istegade i think, also in Vesterbro. Depending on what dining experience you're looking for there are plenty of alternatives. Noma which was mentioned above www.noma.dk has a head chef who worked for Thomas Keller and Ferran Adria. Other than korean(which i'm at a loss for) if you give some further defining we can reccomend some more.
regards,
Brian
Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.
 --Lazarus Long

#33 annambe

annambe
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for the address and the lovely recommendations!

We'll have to give O Mo Nim a try. I haven't had any decent Korean food in a long time. Noma also looks really good, but I'm not sure I can talk my friends into going there. They'll probably think it's too expensive.

How about suggestions for Dim Sum or Vietnamese? Or somewhere to have a cup of coffee and some cake? A colleague mentioned La Glace, is it as nice as she made it sound?

Anna

#34 jakob nielsen

jakob nielsen
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for the address and the lovely recommendations!

We'll have to give O Mo Nim a try. I haven't had any decent Korean food in a long time. Noma also looks really good, but I'm not sure I can talk my friends into going there. They'll probably think it's too expensive.

How about suggestions for Dim Sum or Vietnamese? Or somewhere to have a cup of coffee and some cake? A colleague mentioned La Glace, is it as nice as she made it sound?

Anna

View Post

I don't know af any great Dim Sum places, but there is a couple of excellent vietnamese options. The best on, and most accessivle is Le Le, in Vesterbrogade. There is also Saigon Quan in Godthåbsvej, who recently got good reviews. For a more modern hakkasan/wagamama-type experience try Umami in St. Kongensgade 59. (http://www.restaurantumami.dk/)

La Glace is a classic in Copenhagen. The atmosphere is a bit posh, but the cakes are good. I personally prefer Emmerys, who has several outlets in Copenhagen. Excellent bread, cakes, coffee etc. But the shops are less cosy. (H.c.Ørstedsvej, Østerbrogade etc.)

#35 akwa

akwa
  • participating member
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:25 PM

where is the kitchen of jesper paustian
i think he is doing some of the best cooking in europe
wg

#36 jakob nielsen

jakob nielsen
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:42 AM

where is the kitchen of jesper paustian
i think he is doing some of the best cooking in europe
wg

View Post

Jepser Paustians place is called MITT.
it's at Ægirsgade 43, 2200 Nørrebro.

And the webpage is http://www.myfieldkitchen.com/

I haven't tried it, as far as I know the only do private parties for 6-12 people.

#37 jimk

jimk
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:43 AM

Off to Copenhagen in a few weeks - some great posts here, but I was hoping someone might have information on a place called 1.th - have heard from sources I respect that it quite possibly serves the best dinner to be had in Copenhagen. Unfortunately, the web site is entirely in Danish and I've gotten no reply to my email to them. Anybody have the scoop?

#38 jakob nielsen

jakob nielsen
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:26 AM

Off to Copenhagen in a few weeks - some great posts here, but I was hoping someone might have information on a place called 1.th - have heard from sources I respect that it quite possibly serves the best dinner to be had in Copenhagen. Unfortunately, the web site is entirely in Danish and I've gotten no reply to my email to them. Anybody have the scoop?

View Post

1. th is an extraordinary restaurant.
The concept is to try and make the dining experience seem like a private party.
The restaurant looks more like an apartment, and people are seated more or less like at a regular party.
Everyone gets the same menu, and there are usually musicians playing before and after dinner.
It was started by Mette Sia Martinussen, who I think have left the place, but last I heard the standard was still excellent.

Hope you enjoy it.

Jakob

#39 cxt

cxt
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:38 AM

View Post

[/quote]

For a more modern hakkasan/wagamama-type experience try Umami in St. Kongensgade 59. (http://www.restaurantumami.dk/)

View Post

[/quote]

Umami got top characters in a recent newspaper review, but I was quite disappointed. The food was creative and gorgeous but the service was terrible. We had incidents with our reservation and with a tray of beer spilled all over our group, but got minimal apologies from the management and no compensation other than the dry cleaning of a jacket.

Sanshin Sushi is a bit away from the center of town, but good sushi, not too expensive and fabulous home-made pickles (www.sanshin-sushi.com). They seem to do a brisk take-out business.

I've had two terrific visits to Brasserie Degas (not asian, but fantastic, www.degas.dk).

I also miss dim-sum!

Chris

Edited by cxt, 26 November 2005 - 10:40 AM.

#40 jimk

jimk
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:51 PM

View Post

1. th is an extraordinary restaurant.
The concept is to try and make the dining experience seem like a private party.
The restaurant looks more like an apartment, and people are seated more or less like at a regular party.
Everyone gets the same menu, and there are usually musicians playing before and after dinner.
It was started by Mette Sia Martinussen, who I think have left the place, but last I heard the standard was still excellent.

Hope you enjoy it.

Jakob

View Post

Yeah - just finally heard back from them and their closed over the Christmas/New Years break when we're going to be there. Made reservations at Noma instead ... I hear it's also great - do you hear the same?

#41 jakob nielsen

jakob nielsen
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:57 AM

Yeah - just finally heard back from them and their closed over the Christmas/New Years break when we're going to be there. Made reservations at Noma instead ... I hear it's also great - do you hear the same?

View Post

[/quote]

Actually, I hear mixed reviews.
I personally think its great, and its definetly the place to go, if you want an experience thats is both top class cuisine AND also have a strong local focus.

The food there is all nordic. No olive oil, no foie gras, instead you get lobsters from norway and oxe from Iceland etc. I think its original, the quality of the food is excellent, and it would be my choice if you were to only visit one restaurant while in Denmark.
The current menu has ex. langoustines, truffles from Gotland (Sweden)
The webpage is www.noma.dk

#42 Weasel

Weasel
  • participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:32 AM

I'm going there in March and have a reservation at Formel B - does anyone have any views on this place?

#43 jakob nielsen

jakob nielsen
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:15 AM

I'm going there in March and have a reservation at Formel B - does anyone have any views on this place?

View Post

I haven't been there myself, but the reputation is excellent, they've been getting great reviews for a number of years.
They have a webpage http://www.formel-b.dk/, also in english.

Please let us hear what you think

Enjoy
Jakob

#44 troidz

troidz
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:57 AM

View Post

Formel B is one of the top french classic restaurants in Copenhagen. The two owners and head chefs are young, mid 20s, and they both have a background in the french cuisine, if anyone know or remember when Kommandanten had two stars, they've both been working there as far as I know. The kitchen is as I said classic french gourmet food though with a bit of a twist so it's not heavy plating. On the a la carte menu you will find classics as Tournedo Rossini but I would definitely go for the tasting menu. With the micheling guides touring Copenhagen last week, rumours are that Formel B, Noma or Ourbæk could be up for their second star but nothing is for certain. There is always different rumours and no one really can tell till the guide is out in March. Though it is very exciting though.

Hope you have a pleasant evening at Formel B!

#45 Weasel

Weasel
  • participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:09 AM

Thank you Troidz and Jakob. W had an outstanding night at Formel B. The restaurant itself is beautiful, an L-shaped room with stone walls and lit by candles. The kitchen is open and remarkably calm.

We had the tasting menu:
2 amuse - pig cheek on celeriac puree and frog leg
-Lobster ravioli, richly flavoured
-an outstanding foie gras terrine with salted pork shank (like rillettes running through the foie gras and providing a textural contrast
-Zander with cockles and leeks
- roast monkfish with red wine reduction
- extraordinary roast rack of veal with bearnaise sauce - a standout dish
- mango ice cream with warm nougat parfait
finishing with a particularly good and generoud selection of petits fours with coffee

It's pricey but worth the cost for the high standard of cooking and warm, relaxing atmosphere

#46 jakob nielsen

jakob nielsen
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:56 AM

Good to hear that you had a great meal.
Formel B just got rewarded for it's cooking by the Michelin Guide. They have still got one star, but are now in the category "rising star".

#47 Hector

Hector
  • participating member
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:01 PM

I personally think its great, and its definetly  the place to go, if you want an experience thats is both top class cuisine AND also have a strong local focus.

The food there is all nordic. No olive oil, no foie gras, instead you get lobsters from norway and oxe from Iceland etc. I think its original, the quality of the food is excellent, and it would be my choice if you were to only visit one restaurant while in Denmark.
The current menu has ex. langoustines, truffles from Gotland (Sweden)
The webpage is www.noma.dk

View Post

I'll second that comment. Noma is the place to go in Copenhagen..
Good for foreigners too, to get really nordic high class stuff.
Expensive yes, but worth the price.. And what in Copenhagen isn't expensive? :smile:

#48 mrsadm

mrsadm
  • participating member
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:41 AM

I'll be traveling to Hannover, Germany (where I hope to find traditional German food) and Copenhagen, Denmark, in a couple of weeks.

Any recommendations for good food in Copenhagen? Last time there I had a wonderful seafood dish but cannot remember where it was ...
thanks
"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

#49 jakob nielsen

jakob nielsen
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

pls tell us more about what type of food ypu are looking for. Lots of great places to eat in Copenhagen.

#50 Culinista

Culinista
  • participating member
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:18 PM

Mr. Creosote recommends Restaurant Gastronomique. 38 34 84 36.

#51 jakob nielsen

jakob nielsen
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:03 AM

Gastronomique is a classic on the danish cuisine scene, but no longer among the very best.
The chef who made a name for Gastronomique passed away a few years ago, and all though the staff still is compentent, I personally think that there are better alternatives if you want haute cuisine.

Noma - is in my opinion the best bet right know. And it is a uniqely nordic experience. The chef stays away from foie gras etc, and focusses on local products. (www.noma.dk)

Other top end places:
Restaurant MR (http://www.mr-restau...flash_index.jsp)
Restaurant Rasmus Oubæk (http://www.rasmusoubaek.dk/)

Less expensive:
Le sommelier (http://www.lesommelier.dk/) - upscale french bistro

Luns - phone +45 35 26 33 35 - no frills place, great food and wine. The chef was one half of the duo that brought two stars to Ensemble.

#52 Hector

Hector
  • participating member
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:34 PM

Second Jakobs recommendation!
Noma is arguable the best place in "byen"!

Edited by Hector, 10 May 2006 - 05:34 PM.

#53 cxt

cxt
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:50 PM

Here's an older link about Copenhagen, including restaurant information. Have fun!

Chris

(edited to fix the link)

Edited by cxt, 21 May 2006 - 10:58 PM.

#54 mrsadm

mrsadm
  • participating member
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:15 AM

Thanks everyone! I arrived in Copenhagen yesterday and will check out some of your suggestions.

Edited by mrsadm, 22 May 2006 - 04:16 AM.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

#55 jakob nielsen

jakob nielsen
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:54 PM

Hope you enjoy your stay, and just let us know if you need more/different suggestions

Best
jakob

#56 jakob nielsen

jakob nielsen
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:03 AM

Where did you end up?

:-)
Jakob

#57 Catherine Iino

Catherine Iino
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:31 AM

mrsadm--Can you tell me whether you found any interesting food in Hannover? My husband is there right now for a few days, and would love to have some suggestions.

Thanks,

Catherine

#58 YKL

YKL
  • participating member
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:19 AM

does anyone have any views on Bo Bech at Paustian? I wonder if it might be too inventive and challenging for dinner .. so maybe lunch?

and apart from Noma, what else is unmissable?

Thanks

Yin

#59 jakob nielsen

jakob nielsen
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:17 PM

If you are into the molecular thing, Paustian is the place for you. Bp Bech is definetly one of the most innovative chefs in Denmark at the moment.

Noma is the place to go.

Other possibilities: (look upthread)

Restauntant MR - also very innovative.
Restaurant Premisse - less molecular, but very precise

When are you coming? All the reviewers are praising a food/theater combo thing happening right now with chef Mette Martinussen (prev. 1 th), but I am not sure how long it will run. I can give you details of you like?

#60 YKL

YKL
  • participating member
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:41 AM

thanks for the comments

Yes, I did wonder if the molecular gastronomy thing at Paustian might be a bit wild for me! Sadly the website only seems to be in danish

have a reservation for noma which I am looking forward to very very much, and trying to decide on others at the moment. I was aware the chef from MR had previously worked at noma, but am trying to decide if I want to try something different from the noma style

1th did sound very intriguing - so will discuss with my friend

We'll be there in early sept - so all information gratefully received

thanks