Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Apple Cake

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:50 PM

I second the Edna Lewis recipe linked to above. It's killer.

#32 helenjp

helenjp
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:06 PM

I still like the simplicity of Swisskaese's recipe, but I also like to make redsugar's kuchen and top it with a mixture of slightly-drained yogurt and crumble - makes a nice, not-too-sweet breakfast.

#33 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:55 AM

There was recently a NY Times recipe for an apple cake that looked very good.  Its from Scott Carlsberg of Lampreia. 

Also I have a good recipe for an apple pudding that gets a warm vanilla sauce poured over it.  Very olde Americana.

I'd be happy to post either recipe.

Hal

View Post

You can get the Apple Cake recipe here, in a free ebook in PDF format.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#34 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

My favorite apple cake/bread recipe is from Payard - and the recipe is online here although you may have to sign in with an email address. It's from his book Simply Sensational Desserts. It is excellent and lasts a while if you don't scarf it down all at once :biggrin:

#35 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

I want to try some of these recipes; especially the apple crumb kuchen...

There are several good threads on apple cakes and breads; here are a few others I've bookmarked...

apples: an autumnal celebration

apple cakes: favorite recipes

looking for an outstanding apple bread recipe
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#36 shaloop

shaloop
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

Maida Heatter has one with walnuts and spices. It's wonderful. I've had lots of requests for the recipe each time I've made it. I'll try to find out the name (checked the book out of the library and have returned it.)

#37 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

Hazelnut Cinnamon Apple Muffin

Haven't tried this, but maybe someone will be interested. :biggrin:
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#38 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,409 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

I will type my apfelkuchen recipe into the computer (it is on a 50-year-old 5 x 7 file card) and post it later today. I will put it into RecipeGullet also.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#39 Yasmine Sandhu

Yasmine Sandhu
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:56 PM

Does anyone have a good apple cake recipe that relies on fresh apples for most of the sweetness? I'm looking for a cake that isn't terribly sweet and has a strong apple flavor. Nothing with processed apple juice/apple sauce would also be a bonus.

Thanks!

#40 JFLinLA

JFLinLA
  • 988 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

The Double Apple Bundt Cake from the new Dorie Greenspan book (Baking from Home to Yours) is great. It uses 2 apples grated and apple butter. Very moist and apple-y.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

#41 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:00 PM

I'm thinking that with my mandolin slicer and a helping hand to mix the batter, an apple cake would be a nice October snack. I'm thinking of topping one with sesame seeds and chunky Japanese dark brown sugar. I love that apple cake is not as sweet as some other apple desserts.

Anybody else making apple cake?

#42 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:03 AM

there is an apple cake (or as johhnybird's grandmother would say appfle kucken) in the new greenspan book i want to try that is more apple than cake. i have all the ingredients but don't know if i have the time.....
guess i should go upstairs and do it now,
The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#43 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

Given a choice, I prefer apple pie over cake, but if my husband is unavailable for crust-making and I'm on my own, I like the Fresh Apple Cake with Caramel Glaze from Peacock & Lewis' Gift of Southern Cooking. It's simple to make, doesn't require a big mixer, and is a little bit gooey; sort of a cross between a tarte tatin and a caramel apple. Only it's a cake. Okay, tarte tatin is a bit of a stretch. And if there are kids around, poking wells in this cake and trying to drizzle the glaze down the holes is a party all by itself. Good warm with ice cream, just as good the next day straight from the fridge. I have cut back on the sugars to make it less sweet. Uses five fresh apples.

#44 Snadra

Snadra
  • legacy participant
  • 564 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

I'm thinking that with my mandolin slicer and a helping hand to mix the batter, an apple cake would be a nice October snack. I'm thinking of topping one with sesame seeds and chunky Japanese dark brown sugar. I love that apple cake is not as sweet as some other apple desserts.

Anybody else making apple cake?

I never would have thought of sesame seeds on apple cake, but now it sounds like a lovely combination, especially with a dark brown sugar.

As a rule I prefer a north-american style apple pie to cake, but I have really liked the apple cake in Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion. I find it a bit unusual in that melted butter is mixed in as the last step, but it makes a lovely cake and is full of apples. I often add cardamom and a few sultanas to it.

There's also a recipe for Rhubarb Cake posted by Chufi in Recipe Gullet (hopefully this link works). It's wonderful with rhubarb, but I've also used apples in it when the rhubarb isn't cooperating and it's been delicious. And just perfect for a small household too.

#45 runwestierun

runwestierun
  • participating member
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

My grandmother made an apfelkuchen that was delicious but she never taught me how to make it. I remember she made a yeast dough and put that in a 9x13 pan after it rose. Then she pressed apple slices into the dough in rows. At some point she poured milk or cream over the top, I think before baking (maybe halfway through?). Does this cake sound familiar to anyone? She probably learned how to make it sometime between 1905-1930. Any help would be appreciated.

#46 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:33 AM

German baking...I bet somebody here knows just what you are talking about. I would likely use a yogurt topping, but it probably should be sour cream or a custard...how does this Apple Custard Kuchen look to you?

#47 nakji

nakji
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:13 AM

I'm no baker, but I made Nigel Slater's English Apple Cake from Kitchen Diaries. I'm reading along with this book each night before bed, trying to keep roughly to his entries. Sure enough, October 16th comes up and he makes an apple cake. And poof! Here's this topic. I know a sign when I see one.

I finally acquired a kitchen scale, and I will say that baking using weights is so much more easier and convenient. I mean, intellectually I knew this beforehand, but it's another thing to actually bake this this way and have it brought home. No hassle, running around the kitchen, trying to find my errant, seldom-used third cup; or trying to make an French 200g block of butter conform to an American "stick". I may only bake from UK books from now on.

Essentially a basic white cake with chunks of apples tossed in brown sugar and cinnamon, it is also topped with a few tablespoons of fresh breadcrumbs. Perhaps that's the "English" part? In honour of the name, I served it with hot bowls of Bird's custard (split vanilla bean added to give it a bit of polish).

#48 Rover

Rover
  • participating member
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:56 AM

Apple Tart Cake from Molly at Orangette http://orangette.blo...s-for-cake.html is lovely and it's all about the apples.

Then there's Patricia Wells' The Apple lady's Apple Cake from The Paris Cookbook http://oneperfectbit...apple-cake.html which I've been making for years.

#49 runwestierun

runwestierun
  • participating member
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

German baking...I bet somebody here knows just what you are talking about. I would likely use a yogurt topping, but it probably should be sour cream or a custard...how does this Apple Custard Kuchen look to you?

Wow, Helen, this looks closer than anything I've seen yet. I will try it and report back. Thank you.

#50 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

Wow, Helen, this looks closer than anything I've seen yet. I will try it and report back. Thank you.

This certainly sounds like what you describe (except for the crumbs). My grandmother made a cake very similar to what you describe, except that there was no custard, just cream sometimes poured over before eating it. We called it "Dutch Apple Cake" and here is the way I make it. The base was a batter, not a yeast dough.

#51 Genkinaonna

Genkinaonna
  • participating member
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

I'm a big fan of the Mary-Helene's Apple cake from Around My French Table (the new Dorie Greenspan book) . Super easy, very moist, focus is totally on the apples. It's great this time of the year when all the different apples are in the stores. My husband calls it "devil cake" because he's watching what he eats, and he can't resist eating it whenever I make it.
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

#52 runwestierun

runwestierun
  • participating member
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

Helen, thank you. I made this cake 2 days ago and it is very close. This recipe is a very good springboard. I think with some tweaking I can get it to be just like grandma's. The cake isn't very sweet, which is also very nice. The new husband really likes it, and he never had grandma's. Thank you for finding this for me.

#53 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

I'm a big fan of the Mary-Helene's Apple cake from Around My French Table (the new Dorie Greenspan book) .

A couple of weeks ago, we did a home visit with a potential greyhound adopter (took some dogs for her to meet). She insisted on making lunch for us, which included this cake and she sent us home with half of it! It was heavenly. My husband nearly swooned over it and she's promised to make another for him when we go this weekend to deliver her new dog. Those who prefer pie over cake will love this cake, because it has big, moist slices of apple.

I also love the Lewis/Peacock cake. I plan to make the Mary-Helene cake for T'giving, but drizzle it with some of the caramel sauce from the Lewis/Peacock one... why not gild the lilly a bit? :laugh:

BTW, our new greyhound adopter is a fit and sassy 87 years young! She walks and swims every day, is about to have a lap pool installed in her yard and drives a honkin' humongous Merceds wagon. She's also a wonderful cook/hostess! How cool is that? :wub:

#54 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:33 AM

Runwestierun, I'm glad you liked that recipe...now I can try it!

That Rhubarb Cake from Chufi...based on a Barbara Maher recipe. Barbara Maher is in my opinion much under-rated, and I love her old "Cakes" book too. I think the original recipe might be "Plum Sponge for Sam", which is a very, very good and versatile recipe...a never-fail fallback in my kitchen.

Today in the kitchen there rests Maher's "My Mother's German Apple Cake", which is of the Dutch Apple Cake family, and is my husband's favorite apple dessert. I like this version of Maher's best, though I can't honestly say why - perhaps because it has plenty of butter and is not a biscuit dough manque? Son made the batter for me, and was so pleased with himself that he posted a picture of the mixing bowl on Facebook!

Last week husband and I made Suzy Sushi's ginger apple cake upthread (an oil cake). I added some more spices (Eliz- David influenced blend of cloves or allspice, nutmeg, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon in addition to the ginger), and I like it very much, not too mushy nor too hard, just a nice snacking cake with a bit of personality. It couldn't be easier to make, as the apple slices don't have to be very neat, and the oil is easier to handle than butter.

#55 forever_young_ca

forever_young_ca
  • participating member
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

I second the Edna Lewis recipe linked to above. It's killer.

I am making this cake on Saturday night as the end to a casual dinner party. I would like to serve it warm, with ice cream.

As I would like to do as much as possible before hand, do you think it would be possible to mix up the cake batter, refrigerate, and then bake it while we are eating our other courses, so it comes out warm?

I am trying to get out of mixing the cake up last minute.
Life is short, eat dessert first

#56 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:30 AM

Remember that the cake is supposed to cool down a bit before you make and pour the glaze. And this cake has a relatively long baking time, possibly more than an hour. I don't have any experience refrigerating the batter, but if it is cold when you put it in the oven it may take even longer, no?

#57 forever_young_ca

forever_young_ca
  • participating member
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

Remember that the cake is supposed to cool down a bit before you make and pour the glaze. And this cake has a relatively long baking time, possibly more than an hour. I don't have any experience refrigerating the batter, but if it is cold when you put it in the oven it may take even longer, no?

Yes, you are quite right. It will take a longer baking time, coming from cold. I have done this with chocolate lava cakes, but not any other type of cake. I was hoping to make it in the early afternoon, and have it ready to bake. I will add on a bit of baking time coming from the fridge. I didn't know how the eggs and flour would react to each other if they had to sit.

#58 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 918 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

I support the Dorie Greenspan cake. The recipe is on Amazon and on David Leibovitz's blog. Perfect with vanilla ice cream and better the next day.

Couldn't be easier to make and is one of those recipes you can very easily memorize.
I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

#59 forever_young_ca

forever_young_ca
  • participating member
  • 433 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:05 PM

I made the Edna Lewis apple cake for Saturday night dessert. Abra is right - it is killer.

I ended up making it in the late afternoon. I chickened out on the concept of making the batter, putting it in the fridge and baking it while we were eating the other courses. It was served at room temperature, with ice cream. Absolutely delicious.

The leftovers were great for breakfast the next morning. :laugh:

I will definately make this again. Next time I will try and serve it warm if time and oven space permits.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert