Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What do Japanese babies eat?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 SheenaGreena

SheenaGreena
  • participating member
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:43 AM

My sis and I grew up eating lots of tuna since we could eat solid food and we never had any problems and checked out fine physically. However, that was 20 years ago and the mercury levels in fish might be higher now.

View Post

yep, I grew up eating a lot of tuna and a lot of salt grilled mackeral (my favorite fish). I hear that mackeral has a lot of mercury...but I think that the health benefits of eating oily fish outweigh the mercury. I am always hearing that you should eat "blue fish"...basically fish that are oily.
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

#62 alamut

alamut
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

As a new(ish) parent I think that this thread is very interesting. But I have to say that the children of EG forum members is probably a statistically skewed sample of what American children will eat.

My kids also chow down on (raw) veggies and (cooked) fish. Although my 2 year old calls any kind of meat (including fish) a cheeseburgersandwich. I'm pretty sure he's never actually had a real cheese burger.

I'm considering getting him some natto, Japanese kids like that, right?
Alamut was the mountain fortress of Hassan i Sabbah and the later heads of the Assassins. Alamut represents more than just a physical place, more even than a symbolic home of the movement. Alamut was with you in what you did; Alamut was in your heart from the moment of your arrival and introduction to "Heaven" until the moment you died.

#63 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

I'm considering getting him some natto, Japanese kids like that, right?

Most Japanese kids love natto, mine all ate it when they were young though my oldest (and pickiest) won't touch it any more. Just a warning, no matter how careful you are it will get everywhere. Hair, clothes, chair, table and surrounding walls. I used to strip my kids down to their diaper and then throw them in the bath afterwards...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#64 smallworld

smallworld
  • participating member
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Funny, my boy (1 1/2 years) is the only baby/toddler I know who doesn't like natto. He seems to like the flavour but really hates the stickiness.
My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo
My regular blog: Blue Lotus