Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

THE BEST: Low-priced Italian restaurant, Manhattan

Italian

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 phaelon56

phaelon56
  • legacy participant
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:28 PM

Intrepid eGulleteer Daniel recently undertook a trip to the Olive Garden restaurant in in Times Square. His meal report (scroll to page 5 of the thread to see the actual review and pictures) indicates that the food ain't so great and is not exactly cheap.

Times Square Olive Garden

The price range I'm interested in discussing to is not places that are perhaps a trifle cheaper than Babbo or Lupa. I'm talking about a ravioli entree that's $10 - $12... salads that are $4 - $7... spaghetti and meatballs for $8 - $11...

My NYC experience in this area is limited but I've always enjoyed my meals at the remarkably low priced

Frutti di Mare

So.... what are your nominations for best low to very moderately priced Italian restaurants in NYC?

#2 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:41 PM

Celeste
Ristorante & Pizzeria
502 Amsterdam Ave, New York 10024
Btwn 84th & 85th St

Ravioli and pasta's made in the restaurant.. Highest pasta dish on the menu is 9.50.. Place is great..

celeste

#3 rich

rich
  • participating member
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:48 PM

There's a very small place place on 11th Avenue off 65th Street in Brooklyn (Bensonhurst) called Mama Rao's that serves very nice pasta and veal dishes for next to nothing - excellent value for basic Italian-American fare. No relation to the Rao's on Pleasant Avenue, but does get its share of local politicos.

Edited by rich, 31 March 2006 - 12:49 PM.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

#4 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:10 PM

When you consider the value proposition, although it costs a few dollars more than the rock-bottom of the budget Italian restaurant pool, Becco has got to be the best deal going.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#5 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:16 PM

The following are just a bit more expensive than Frutta di Mare, I think, and they're a lot better:

Col Legno

Poetessa

Dinner would usually run you around $25-30 at either of those places

#6 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:18 PM

Bianca, Celeste.
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#7 tommy

tommy
  • participating member
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:42 PM

unless you like three kinds of saucy pastas dumped onto a single plate, avoid becco's Sinfonia di Pasta, which, loosely translated means "a bunch of saucy pasta dropped onto your plate at once by people who assume you need to rush off to get to a show."

conversely, study the menu for a moment and order something clever from the 25 buck a bottle wine list, and perhaps a long-time-cooked pork product, if they're offering it.

cheap? yes. better than OG? without a doubt. a good experience and great value? usually not so much, unless you order well.

#8 tautog

tautog
  • participating member
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:58 PM

Monte's in the Village might about fit the bill. Salads for 2 for $9, Spaghetti and Meatballs for $11.50 and Ravioli for $10. Probably a bout a dollar too much on each entree to truely qualify. Only annoying think is that owner is too much into kissing and hugging, even the male patrons. Rocco in the same neighborhood is in a similiar price range and quality.

#9 wagyuboy

wagyuboy
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:04 PM

Bianca's on Bleecker and 2nd is good and so is Max's. I go to the Max's uptown on 123rd and Amsterdam, not the out on Avenue C, but they're both good.
Pasta dishes are about 10 or so. Entrees a little more. Max's gets crowded. Have the parsley appetizer at Bianca's.

#10 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:10 PM

I am a huge fan of the parsley.. Can you describe the appetizer please.

#11 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:13 PM

I like Bianca, but isn't it a good deal more than $30/person?

I went to Max once (East Village location) and was distinctly underwhelmed. Everything was too salty.

#12 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:52 AM

I don't think Bianca runs more than $25 per person - especially if you stick with one of the under $25 bottles of wine offered. Pastas are in the $9 - $12 range...very similar pricing to Celeste.

BTW, it's at #5 Bleecker, just west of the Bowery.
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#13 Mister_Cutlets

Mister_Cutlets
  • participating member
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:20 AM

I agree with Steven that Becco is a great value. But on the low end I would nominate the newly re-opened Foccaciaria, which not inhabits a mexican restaurant on 1st avenue, between 12th and 13th I believe. And of course its twin cousin in Brooklyn, Joe's of Avenue U.

Josh
Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

#14 tjdnewyork

tjdnewyork
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:15 AM

I would say Lupa (Thompson between Houston and Bleecker, part of Batali et al's empire), which has incredibly low prices for such high quality food. Big salads are 8 or 10 bucks. My favorite pasta (Bavette Cacio e Pepe) is about 11. Good deal.

#15 TrishCT

TrishCT
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

I would say Lupa and Becco do not belong in this thread. They are not low priced.

Becco's pasta special is what...$21.95... for three pastas. $22 is not especially cheap. Especially considering Becco usually includes two really cheap simple pastas, and one interesting special filled one like lobster ravioli. It's not a bad deal...because it also includes a nice antipasti as well. It's an okay deal. And the rest of the menu doesn't qualify as being low priced. So unless you all get the pasta special there isn't anything "low" priced. The wine list is very nicely priced as well. But all in all it is not a $10 for a nice plate of ravioli type of joint.

Lupa's pastas are meant as appetizers. If you get a pasta and a main dish you will spend at least $30 and that's without anything to drink. Not low priced in my opinion.

So far, not many reasonable OG alternatives have been mentioned. Was hoping there would be a lot more. I mentioned Trattoria Trecolori on the OG thread because it has the same or lower pricepoint as OGizzal (love that phrase, Daniel).

So where do you get some low-priced, good ravioli?

#16 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:30 PM

Il Corallo Trattoria on Prince Street is pretty solid, and I've never spent more than $25/person on a full meal (wine, dessert and coffee included).

What about Regional (Broadway and 98th)?
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:31 PM

Amarone, on 9th Ave. in the mid-to-high 40s (cross-streets, not price)?

Rocco's, in Borough Park, Brooklyn? (Not a pasta place; more a seafood place -- but GREAT and cheap.)

Edited by Sneakeater, 01 April 2006 - 01:33 PM.

#18 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

Via Emilia (or Emiliana, I can't remember) on Park Avenue South for the lasagna?

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:34 PM

The non-pizza food dishes at DiFara?

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:35 PM

(Ooops, sorry. I missed the "in Manhattan." Forget Rocco's and DiFara.)

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:45 PM

Thinking about Amarone and Via Emilia (or Emiliana: I forget), the thing that springs to mind is that neither is so great that I'd call them "the best" anything. There must be hundreds of similar places in Manhattan that are about as good. But that's kind of the point. In many parts of Manhattan, it's hard to be more than a block away from a decent, cheap Italian place. You could almost walk into them at random and do better than the disgusting glop pictured in Daniel's Olive Garden review.

Edited by Sneakeater, 01 April 2006 - 01:48 PM.

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

And here's an RIP for two recently deceased good cheap Italian places in the Garment District: Veronica and the place near the west end of the block between 6th & 7th Aves. on the north side of W. 39th St. which is now a Kosher pizza place.

Edited by Sneakeater, 01 April 2006 - 01:47 PM.

#23 vivin

vivin
  • participating member
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

Celeste

#24 mtkr

mtkr
  • participating member
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:57 PM

I like Pisticci in Morningside Heights (LaSalle btwn Claremont and Broadway).

#25 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:01 PM

Becco's "sinfonia di pasta" is $16.95 at lunchtime. That may be a little more -- maybe $2 more? -- than the cost of an antipasto and a pasta entree at a rock-bottom budget Italian restaurant, but at Becco you get a totally superior product: the antipasto is extensive and includes not only fresh mozzarella, high-quality marinated mushrooms and various other cold vegetable items, but also several kinds of cold seafood. For your pasta, you get three house-made fresh pastas, all of which are always several steps up the quality ladder from what you get at cheap Italian restaurants. In addition, the wine list at Becco is cheaper than at even the cheapest restaurants yet better than at restaurants costing three times as much. I often wind up spending less on a meal for four at Becco -- even at dinner when the sinfonia goes up to $21.95 -- than at purportedly cheaper restaurants because when you follow a real-world check-building model you can dine quite well on a restricted budget at Becco: an elaborate appetizer, three pastas, good wine, nice extras like their breadsticks and focaccia with bean puree (no charge), etc. So, yes, I consider it a good-value budget restaurant. I recommend it all the time to people on budgets who want to go out in the theater district and they mostly are very happy with what they get for their money at Becco.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#26 rich

rich
  • participating member
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:38 PM

(Ooops, sorry.  I missed the "in Manhattan."  Forget Rocco's and DiFara.)

View Post

A conundrum - the title says Manhattan, but the topic post reads best in NYC. As far as I know Brooklyn is still part of NYC. Staten Island attempted to secede a few years ago, but that's because we're the most southern of all boroughs. Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed and I'm still with you guys. Anyway, I don't look good in gray.
Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

#27 juuceman

juuceman
  • participating member
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

without including the red sauce pasta mills in Little Italy there are any number of places one can make this happen..

Peppe Rosso and the related joints offers salads and pastas all within your price point.. i rpefer the rigatoni with vodka sauce, but even the grilled chicken dishes are sub $13.. not much ambience, but they've got a few of them south of 14th street and i've never had a meal that was less than adequate..

lamarca on 22nd and 3rd, is only open mon - fri from noon to 10, and offers a few apps for $6 each and a nice selection of pastas for $10 at lunch, $12 at dinner, and some specials each day (chicken parm, shrimp sauce, etc.) for $12/$14..

Le Zie, on 7th Avenue in Chelsea, has a great menu of Venetian tapas, plus salads, apps and pastas that are all in your stated range.. great food and some of the more unique findings in this price point..

I eat pasta at Lupa as a main all the time, having been frustrated with the mains on too many occasions.. the girlfriend and i frequently split a salad, each have a pasta, and throw in a vegetable side or antipasti and are rather happy for ~$60 with a shared quartino of wine that's not the standard merlot/chianti/pinot noir choice offered for $7 a glass at most similar places..

Otto belongs on this listing, salads are served in portions for two at around $9 each, pizza and pastas close to the range indicated, much higher quality than many red sauce joints..

Max (not Max's) in the East Village is fine, the spread for the bread they include is nice, but the food has never made up for the attitude dished out by the staff..

I've not been to John's of 12th Street, and am too lazy to pull up the menupages link right now, but i'd supposed one could dine there for about the costs elicited above..

Lil Frankie's is a much better option than Max or Il Bagatto.. choice of pizzas or a few types of spaghetti.. Supper, also in the East Village, has a nice menu and meets the pricing criteria..

#28 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:44 PM

I don't think Bianca runs more than $25 per person - especially if you stick with one of the under $25 bottles of wine offered.  Pastas are in the $9 - $12 range...very similar pricing to Celeste.[...]

View Post

I've never been to Celeste. I don't think I've ever paid less than $30/person for dinner at Bianca, but that may have been because I had pasta plus a salad or ordered a pasta special, not to mention the times I had a primo and then a secondo.

#29 jwjojo

jwjojo
  • participating member
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:57 AM

I agree with Il Corallo Trattoria in Soho. Really inexpensive and pretty decent.

#30 FatTony

FatTony
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:48 AM

Not sure if it qualifies price-wise (they're not on menu pages) but I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Bar Pitti on 6th Avenue. I've always enjoyed eating there and they have enough sidewalk space for a pleasant outdoor experience in the summer.

My favorite though, would be Po on Cornelia. Long after Batali left I think this place continues to stand on its own merits. And while it may be at the top end of cheap I've never had a better spaghetti alla vongole in New York. Theirs is flecked with a tiny dice of pancetta and chili. It's $12.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Italian