Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Spraying Chocolate: Equipment, Materials, and Techniques

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#61 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:53 AM

Yes, I've seen the eggs in the Wybauw book. I believe he uses a silicone insert to make decorations. This egg is done a little differently. First, he sprayed the mold with a few thin layers of chocolate. This is what gives it the shine. He then piped a small amount of chocolate to form the 'crack'. He took a pointed wooden stick and cut along the inside of the piping. Then he filled this area with a mixture of nuts. The premise is - a thin layer of chocolate won't release from the mold thereby leaving the nuts exposed. The next step was to adhere the nuts to the rest of the egg so he piped thin lines in a crisscross pattern across the nuts trying just to touch the nuts and the piped line. You want to avoid getting too much chocolate on the underneath layer that you want to stick to the mold. Once the nuts are completely covered the mold is partially filled, put together and put on the spinning machine (he didn't do this for the demo - just filled and dumped each half). Once cooled it is removed from the mold and sure enough the thin layer adhered to the mold leaving the nuts exposed yet completely attached to the egg. Wonderful! After seeing this I'm sure you can understand why I 'need' a spray gun now! Here are a few more photos to show the process...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#62 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:37 PM

Beautiful! We used to make "Salame Dolce" at home one of my favorite treats :raz: .I might make some these holidays hehe it sure is good.
Vanessa

#63 gfron1

gfron1
  • legacy participant
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:00 AM

I made this Pomegranate Kumquat entrement yesterday. After pulling out the ol' Wagner one more time, I was motivated to look up a more traditional spray gun and realized how inexpensive they were. My Wagner may be retired. Its worked well, but I lack some of the control and precision that I now want/need. I also hate having a container full of chocolate that can't be picked up by the suction tube. Other than those two issues, this is still a good option for folks especially with big jobs.
Posted Image

#64 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:22 AM

Hey - is that a scorpion on the right lower corner?

#65 gfron1

gfron1
  • legacy participant
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

Ha! Its not, just kumquat sugar strings, but when I presented the entrement to the birthday girl, she asked to have a piece without bugs on it.

#66 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:20 PM

I thought I would post an update with what I've learned about spray guns since my last post. I decided to contact Paul DeBondt and ask about his gun. This is what he said: "The gun is special because, different from others, it has the possibility to have air pressure on the container (= on the chocolate) . This gives you the possibility to spay thick chocolate and/or large quantities and create many different effects." So the gun he uses has a pressurized gravity cup - not that common in a spray gun. I found a Walcom gun with a pressurized cup. The fellow at Walcom was most helpful. He said with a regular gun all you get is even atomization. With the pressurized gun you can get all kinds of effects. Here is a photo of some of the effects Paul DeBondt did. I'm also posting a photo of Paul DeBondt with his pressurized cup gun - notice the little hose that goes to the cup? You can see it near the neck of his T-shirt. I remember reading a post about using a spoon with your spray gun to get a splatter effect. With this gun, you adjust the air going into the cup and just spray splatter. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy this model. Then I'll have to save my pennies for a compressor!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#67 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

I thought I would post an update with what I've learned about spray guns since my last post.  I decided to contact Paul DeBondt and ask about his gun.  This is what he said:  "The gun is special because, different from others, it has the possibility to have air pressure on the container (= on the chocolate) . This gives you the possibility to spay thick chocolate and/or large quantities and create many different effects."  So the gun he uses has a pressurized gravity cup - not that common in a spray gun.  I found a Walcom gun with a pressurized cup.  The fellow at Walcom was most helpful.  He said with a regular gun all you get is even atomization.  With the pressurized gun you can get all kinds of effects.  Here is a photo of some of the effects Paul DeBondt did.  I'm also posting a photo of Paul DeBondt with his pressurized cup gun - notice the little hose that goes to the cup?  You can see it near the neck of his T-shirt. I remember reading a post about using a spoon with your spray gun to get a splatter effect.  With this gun, you adjust the air going into the cup and just spray splatter.  I'm going to bite the bullet and buy this model.  Then I'll have to save my pennies for a compressor!

Posted Image

Posted Image

View Post

Which of their guns did you buy?

#68 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

Haven't bought it yet - still deciding on which nozzle size to get. Here is a link to the gun - it's the Slim S HD.
http://www.homestead...ocs/walcom2.htm
I managed to get a really good price - $307 - but not from this company. It's a 'just for me' special. If anyone else is interested I could ask if the price will stand for others.

#69 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

Haven't bought it yet - still deciding on which nozzle size to get.  Here is a link to the gun - it's the Slim S HD. 
http://www.homestead...ocs/walcom2.htm
I managed to get a really good price - $307 - but not from this company.  It's a 'just for me' special.  If anyone else is interested I could ask if the price will stand for others.

View Post

Lana,

Have you decided on the nozzle size and obtained the airgun yet?

#70 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

Another interesting looking pressurized gravity feed air gun here. Contacted the company - all the parts that contact the 'paint' are stainless except for one small area that is nickel. According to the fellow at the company, they are being used in the UK for chocolate work.

#71 schneich

schneich
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:56 AM

why would anyone want to spray thick chocolates ??
i you want to make your life easy your buying one of those babies:

Wagner w 180 p

the ratios for perfect spraying chocolate are:

dark chocolate 70% = 70% Chocolate 30% Cocoa Butter

semi dark chocolate 55% = 60% Chocolate 40% Cocoa Butter

Milk chocolate around 38% = 50% Chocolate 5o% Cocoa Butter

white chocolate around 32% = 40% Chocolate 60% Cocoa Butter

you spray just a thin layer and then you normally mold with tempered chocolate. if your cocoa butter designs are somewhat thick you want to go a little warmer for the first mold, and a bit colder for the second to get nice thick walls, if you want to have yellow or orange or any shiny bright color you want to spray a white layer before molding a dark chocolate...

cheers and merry xmas...

t.

Edited by schneich, 20 December 2008 - 10:59 AM.

toertchen toertchen
patissier chocolatier cafe
cologne, germany

#72 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the info Schneich. I am getting this gun primarily so I have the option to do effects. I will definitely still be thinning the chocolate with cocoa butter. I looked into the gun you mentioned Kerry (the Fuji) and was told that I needed to use it with a turbine. Not knowing much about these things at all I was told that a turbine differs from an compressor in that it blows warm (hot) air. He said the air can get pretty hot. I didn't think that would work for chocolate so didn't pursue it. I ended up ordering 2 of the Walcom guns. :rolleyes: I figured I was getting such a good price I could always sell one. I got one with a 2.5mm tip for chocolate and the other with a 1.3mm special order tip for cocoa butter. With 2 guns I can use them simutaneously. I inquired with the fellow in Italy where Paul DeBondt purchased his gun. He said a 1.7mm tip would be fine for both chocolate and cocoa butter if you just want 1 tip. His gun comes with the whole heating cabinet unit for 1800 euro. Yikes... http://www.faemitaly...ray inglese.htm

#73 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

Apparently the Fuji turbines blow air that is about 10º C warmer than ambient - with the 6 foot extension hose the air cools by 15º ( I assume Celcius). Good if you are spraying warm spray onto cold chocolate for the velvet effect.

#74 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

I have always assumed that it is the cold air and fast movement of the chocolate from the spray gun that tempers the chocolate/cocoa butter as it is being sprayed. I would love clarification on this if anyone knows the science of it?? I haven't done the velvet effect before but you know I'll try it with my new gear!

#75 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

I have always assumed that it is the cold air and fast movement of the chocolate from the spray gun that tempers the chocolate/cocoa butter as it is being sprayed.  I would love clarification on this if anyone knows the science of it??  I haven't done the velvet effect before but you know I'll try it with my new gear!

View Post

Yup, that has been my assumption as well, that the final tempering occurs as the spray leaves the gun. But there are airbrushes they sell with heated heads for working with chocolate as seen here. So I suspect that as long as it doesn't blow air that is too warm it won't be a huge problem.

#76 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

I have always assumed that it is the cold air and fast movement of the chocolate from the spray gun that tempers the chocolate/cocoa butter as it is being sprayed.  I would love clarification on this if anyone knows the science of it??  I haven't done the velvet effect before but you know I'll try it with my new gear!

View Post

Yup, that has been my assumption as well, that the final tempering occurs as the spray leaves the gun. But there are airbrushes they sell with heated heads for working with chocolate as seen here. So I suspect that as long as it doesn't blow air that is too warm it won't be a huge problem.

View Post

Kerry, you're amazing! How do you find this stuff. :biggrin:
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#77 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:02 PM

Yup, that has been my assumption as well, that the final tempering occurs as the spray leaves the gun.  But there are airbrushes they sell with heated heads for working with chocolate as seen here.   So I suspect that as long as it doesn't blow air that is too warm it won't be a huge problem.

View Post

I agree! What a cool little airbrush. Now I want one of those too...

#78 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

Lana, have you gotten a chance to play around with your Walcom spray guns yet? I'm sure we'd love to see some pix when you get a chance.

Edited by John DePaula, 01 January 2009 - 06:10 PM.

John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#79 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

Lana, have you gotten a chance to play around with your Walcom spray guns yet?  I'm sure we'd love to see some pix when you get a chance.

View Post

No, I don't have them yet! They were being sent from Italy as I ordered one with a special nozzle. I'm sure they'll be here any day now... Once I've had a chance to play with them I'll post some photos.

#80 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

Just got my guns today. Having never used these large guns - they look a little daunting! I also purchased my compressor a few days ago. I now have to bring my guns in to purchase the fittings etc. So after I read all my instructions I should be ready to start spraying next year :wink: OK - maybe a bit sooner... I have a simple question which I can't seem to find the answer to. When I want to change colours in my gun - or to change chocolates - what is the procedure for that? I read somewhere to use hot cocoa butter or hot oil to clean the gun out. I'd love to know what others do. I don't imagine you wash with soap and water at this point do you?
Speaking of which, to wash at the end of a session - do you always use soap and water? How do you dry the gun or do you just let it dry on it's own? Or can you just put it in a warm place and leave it 'chocolatey' if you'll be doing another session the next day? I've only used an airbrush in courses and I never had to clean them!

#81 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

Just got my guns today.  Having never used these large guns - they look a little daunting!  I also purchased my compressor a few days ago.  I now have to bring my guns in to purchase the fittings etc.  So after I read all my instructions I should be ready to start spraying next year :wink:  OK - maybe a bit sooner...  I have a simple question which I can't seem to find the answer to.  When I want to change colours in my gun - or to change chocolates - what is the procedure for that?  I read somewhere to use hot cocoa butter or hot oil to clean the gun out.  I'd love to know what others do.  I don't imagine you wash with soap and water at this point do you? 
Speaking of which, to wash at the end of a session - do you always use soap and water?  How do you dry the gun or do you just let it dry on it's own?  Or can you just put it in a warm place and leave it 'chocolatey' if you'll be doing another session the next day?  I've only used an airbrush in courses and I never had to clean them!

View Post

I usually just dump the excess then blow out whatever colour remains in the cup (now you are going to be using a bigger cup). I'll take the heat gun to the cup and airbrush to warm it and get more colour out. Then I'll just add my next colour to the cup.

When I'm done I pour hot, hot water in the cup and blow that through until it's clear.

I do see some places that are using the air brush for the same chocolate day after day, just place it in the heated cabinet where they keep their colours and cocoa butter. It's warm and ready to go when they are.

Can't wait to see what you can do with your new guns!

#82 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

I usually just dump the excess then blow out whatever colour remains in the cup (now you are going to be using a bigger cup).  I'll take the heat gun to the cup and airbrush to warm it and get more colour out.  Then I'll just add my next colour to the cup. 

When I'm done I pour hot, hot water in the cup and blow that through until it's clear. 

I do see some places that are using the air brush for the same chocolate day after day, just place it in the heated cabinet where they keep their colours and cocoa butter.  It's warm and ready to go when they are.

Can't wait to see what you can do with your new guns!

View Post

Thanks so much Kerry! I can't wait to see what I can do with them too! I'm making my 'to do' list today so I can be ready for Valentine's. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave me a lot of play time with my new toy. I'll be using it for basics (hopefully!) for my Valentine's Day products. I'll post photos when I get there.

#83 judec

judec
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

There's this chocolate solution meant for manual sprayers from Bo Friberg. By "manual sprayers," I'm assuming he means the type you would find in a barber shop. Has anyone tried this?

The ingredients are corn syrup, warm water, and cocoa powder.

I've made a few entremets that call for spray but I usually skip that step.

#84 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

Another interesting looking pressurized gravity feed air gun here.  Contacted the company - all the parts that contact the 'paint' are stainless except for one small area that is nickel.  According to the fellow at the company, they are being used in the UK for chocolate work.

View Post

Another turbine here at JB Prince. The web site states the following:

Turbine powered system for high air volume and low pressure. The result is a finer spray with less overspray. The nozzle on the hand gun has adjustable pattern size (1/4" to 6"), 3 different shapes, and adjustable air control. Great for showpiece and production work.

Anyone with any experience using these?
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
--------------------

#85 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

Another interesting looking pressurized gravity feed air gun here.  Contacted the company - all the parts that contact the 'paint' are stainless except for one small area that is nickel.  According to the fellow at the company, they are being used in the UK for chocolate work.

View Post

Turbine powered system for high air volume and low pressure. The result is a finer spray with less overspray. The nozzle on the hand gun has adjustable pattern size (1/4" to 6"), 3 different shapes, and adjustable air control. Great for showpiece and production work.

View Post

No experience - but the same one is less on Amazon here.

#86 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

View Post

View Post

No experience - but the same one is less on Amazon here.

View Post

Uggg.. and a not very good review (though you often have to take these things with a grain of salt).
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
--------------------

#87 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

Uggg.. and a not very good review (though you often have to take these things with a grain of salt).

View Post

Looks like people were happier with the CH 2500 unit. Although they don't seem impressed with customer service. You'd still have to determine if the spray part was food safe I guess.

I was to have gone and checked out the Fuji unit today in Toronto, but the weather was not cooperative. We've rescheduled for Saturday - the day the next storm is expected. I may never get to see this thing. My hubby has decided to get the 4 stage quiet version to spray latex paint - so if I decide to get the pressurized gravity feed gun we can share the turbine.

#88 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:56 PM

View Post

Looks like people were happier with the CH 2500 unit. Although they don't seem impressed with customer service. You'd still have to determine if the spray part was food safe I guess.

I was to have gone and checked out the Fuji unit today in Toronto, but the weather was not cooperative. We've rescheduled for Saturday - the day the next storm is expected. I may never get to see this thing. My hubby has decided to get the 4 stage quiet version to spray latex paint - so if I decide to get the pressurized gravity feed gun we can share the turbine.

View Post

Are you talking about the Fuji Industrial Spray Equipment 3004 Q4 PRO Quiet 4-Stage HVLP Spray System ?

If so, then take a look at the Product Details section. Specifically, the California Residents Prop 65 warning. The warning is written to cover a variety of products. Maybe I'm just foggy from getting over a cold, but I'm not sure how the warning applies to this particular product.
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
--------------------

#89 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

View Post

View Post

Are you talking about the Fuji Industrial Spray Equipment 3004 Q4 PRO Quiet 4-Stage HVLP Spray System ?

If so, then take a look at the Product Details section. Specifically, the California Residents Prop 65 warning. The warning is written to cover a variety of products. Maybe I'm just foggy from getting over a cold, but I'm not sure how the warning applies to this particular product.

View Post

I suspect it means "don't suck in lead paint spray"!

#90 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:20 PM

View Post

View Post

View Post

I suspect it means "don't suck in lead paint spray"!

View Post

Well, duh! :biggrin: I guess they're not saying that the gun/turbine itself is toxic, then.

Did you see this page, too? FUJI PARTS & ACCESSORIES
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
--------------------

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate