Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Spraying Chocolate: Equipment, Materials, and Techniques

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#301 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:37 PM

though I've never managed to mix a green I'm happy with.

word... ain't that the truth! Why is a nice vivid dark green so hard to get!

#302 tanya_simone

tanya_simone
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

Oh Kerry thankyou for replying! You are one of the members who always answers problems very well and you appear to be very knowledgeable in alot of areas, and so I'm very much appreciative that you took time to help me out

I would mainly use my machine for choccy purposes, but for certain occasions (perhaps 3 or 4 times a year) I do make the odd cake, I can always decorate it without spraying though, i was just curious. Rather be safe than sorry ;)

If you think the coloured butters are definitely doable then I will give them a go, no harm in trying right? It just put me off a little because I read a few people saying they had trouble in making it correctly and it took numerous attempts before they got it right. 

I was actually curious to ask also whether you could add oil based flavourings to chocolate itself, like I have peppermint oil and possibly orange oil, and I wondered if I could blend them with the choc, then if I wanted two flavours I could have the choc shell as mint or whatever and the inside as a different flavour just to experiment a bit? Or is this a bad idea? Was just a thought!

Also - ''so I'll use fruit puree, with the addition of freeze dried fruit powder and perhaps a bit of compound flavouring''  <-- yes! This never even occurred to me either, mixing two of the same flavour but in different states/forms. A puree and a powder sounds a fab idea indeed. I have to admit, a couple of the flavours in the fresh fruit fillings I made didn't have the kick I was hoping for, I had to use white chocolate with them so you could actually taste the flavour inside on the more subtle fruits. If I were to add something like a puree or powder to the mix itself also, it might just give it that bit of oomph that it needs.

Again thanks for the advice, since I've been on this site I've been overwhelmed (in a good way of course) with the amount of things I can, and want, to make. The possibilities seem endless! I just have to find the time to do it all in! Wish me luck ^_^

• Smithy likes this

#303 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

One thing you want to remember about airbrushing cocoa butter into chocolates or even into molds is to make sure the cocoa butter is tempered and the airbrush is warm.  One thing I do is hold a handheld hair dryer and wave it around the nozzle head and the base.  Another way to go is to keep the airbrush in-between a heating pad.  By doing this it will not cause the cocoa butter to seized and become cold though spraying. 

• tanya_simone likes this

#304 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,719 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

As Matthew says - I tend to keep my airbrushes on a hot plate turned down a little with an Ikea dimmer switch so it's not too hot.

You can indeed add essential oils to the chocolate itself for different flavour effects.

#305 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 705 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:32 PM

For a time I was wondering the exact same thing. Can you add peppermint oil to dark chocolate and use that chocolate as the exterior on a shell molded bonbon? Somehow I just never wanted to try. I didn't want my molds smelling like peppermint, and I was sort of afraid of the peppermint oil messing with the temper and not have that shine we strive for, but perhaps the latter is not so much of a concern since the amount of oil added is so small. Still, at the very least, it seems like the next few batches of chocolate would have a peppermint scent wether one wanted it or not.

#306 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,719 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:38 PM

True - peppermint is the devil!  I do it a lot with fruit oils like orange, lemon and grapefruit.  I'm pretty careful with peppermint because even in a chocolate box it's as invasive as in a garden.

• rajoress likes this

#307 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:29 AM

tanya_Simone - Welcome to eGullet -

If you are the least bit curious about confectionery work I would urge you to take a look at the threads for the previous eGullet Confectionery Conferences - It's a wonderful opportunity to meet, discuss, question, learn from some wonderful and talented people.  The next one will be in May 2015, just outside of Washington DC. 

Bob

• tanya_simone likes this

#308 markwightman

markwightman
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:18 AM

Hi,

I found this thread really helpful so thanks to everyone for your observations.  I have just ordered the Krebs hotCHOC LM3.  I'll let you know how I get on with it.

-Mark

• Susanne Hindle Kher likes this

#309 markwightman

markwightman
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:22 AM

Out of interest, has anyone ever tried spraying cocoa butter with a make up airbrush?

http://www.ebay.co.u...h-/201202156404

If it worked, it would quite a neat little package.

#310 Susanne Hindle Kher

Susanne Hindle Kher
  • society donor
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

Hi,

I found this thread really helpful so thanks to everyone for your observations.  I have just ordered the Krebs hotCHOC LM3.  I'll let you know how I get on with it.

-Mark

Please share your experiences once you get it. That's a nice looking gadget!

#311 egypt803

egypt803
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:15 AM

Hi

I'm experimenting with spraying cocoa butter to get patterns on chocolate lollies and I was wondering if any experts had any advice for me...

I'm using a badger 250 airbrush and spraying through a stencil onto plastic sheets but when I pour the chocolate behind there is almost always some of the pattern left behind on the sheet.  I'm confident that the chocolate is tempered and am just wondering if anybody knows why this happens and if I could do anything to prevent it and get more consistant results?  Do I need to grease the plastic first to help it release?  It is to do with the temper of the cocoa butter?  I haven't been tempering the cocoa butter - just heating and spraying at approx 40 degrees c as I understood that that would be OK - maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, like I say any advice would be much appreciated.

I've attached a photo below to show you what's happening....

Many thanks

Katherine

20150213_110629_zpsprfio0cq.jpg

#312 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:54 AM

You don't need to temper the choc./cocoa butter for airbrushing, it should be slightly warmer--say around 35-ish.  As the cocoa butter particles fly through the air, they undergo temperature change, motion, and time--all the things needed to temper chocolate.

#313 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:59 AM

Might be the plastic, usually shiny acetate in particular is used.

#314 egypt803

egypt803
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hi.  Thanks both of you for your responses.  I use mylar sheets to spray the cocoa butter on to.  I started using acetate but found mylar to be much sturdier and more scratch resistant and can be reused again and again.  I have had success airbrushing food colouring and it coming off onto the chocolate so I'm hoping that its not the sheets that are the problem

#315 Baylee Chocolate Lady

Baylee Chocolate Lady
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:01 PM

After tempering your chocolate, have you tried raising the temperature slightly? 

#316 egypt803

egypt803
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:33 AM

Hi Baylee

Thanks for replying and I'm sorry it took me so long to notice - I don't know why I didn't see it!

I warm the chocolate just enough to make sure its fully liquid with no lumps.  Do you think making it slightly warmer would make a difference for the pattern coming off?

Thanks

Katherine

#317 Olga

Olga
  • provisional member
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:07 AM

Hi all!

Its pleasure to be here with such passionate people like you guys. Im new as a member but Ive been reading this forum for quite some time now.

I tried to carefully read all 11 pages of this particular thread but I couldn't find what I was looking for :sad:

I recently bought IWATA airbrush (model: Eclipse HP-BCS) which I want to use for spraying Choco molds with cocoa butter, but the problem is I don't have an air compressor yet and I have no idea which one I should get.

We have limited options over here, so could anyone please tell me a bit about how much PSI & H/P it should be?!  Im gonna use it only for few molds at a time as making chocolates is still just a hobby of mine.  

Appreciate any suggestions. :rolleyes:

Olga.

#318 adey73

adey73
  • participating member
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

I know that Kerry has answered me but I can't find it anywhere....

so I still want a compressor for chocolate...

is 'oil free' the same as 'maintenance free'?

and am I avoiding piston based compressors?  

“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate