Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Spraying Chocolate: Equipment, Materials, and Techniques

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#271 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Re the Badger - I think the cancer causing part is using the canned air.

#272 egermino

egermino
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

I've read through this thread to try to get an idea of a good airbrush/compressor to buy for finishing chocolates with, and it seems like a Paasche external mix might be a good way to go. But I'm still not clear on how different options influence the results when spraying cocoa butter (e.g. external versus internal mix, single action versus double). Is there a particular model that folks would recommend, especially for small batch work? Also, what are the considerations when choosing a compressor? 

#273 Jim D.

Jim D.
  • participating member
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

I've read through this thread to try to get an idea of a good airbrush/compressor to buy for finishing chocolates with, and it seems like a Paasche external mix might be a good way to go. But I'm still not clear on how different options influence the results when spraying cocoa butter (e.g. external versus internal mix, single action versus double). Is there a particular model that folks would recommend, especially for small batch work? Also, what are the considerations when choosing a compressor? 

At Kerry Beal's suggestion I purchased the Paasche HS Single Action airbrush (external mix).  There have been some people on this forum who use internal mix airbrushes, but I think those require more attention as you are spraying (more frequent reheating).  I got a large supply of the glass bottles for this airbrush and just keep cocoa butter in them ready for remelting and attaching to the airbrush.  As you probably already know, using chocolate in an airbrush is a compromise; these devices weren't really meant for chocolate.  So the simpler the better, I think.  I got a heat gun and have to reheat the spraying part several times while spraying one or two trays, but that is a fairly minor hassle.

For a compressor I got the Iwata SmartJet Pro, more expensive than some others, but very quiet.  Incidentally the adapter provided by Iwata for Paasche airbrushes does not fit easily with the sort of cone-shaped Paasche bottles.  Paasche sent me a replacement hose (free of charge) that works perfectly.  Very good customer service.

Edited by Jim D., 27 March 2014 - 02:09 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate