Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

candied kumquats

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 cookman

cookman
  • participating member
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:37 PM

After reading your experience yesterday, I consulted a friend who has also done a lot of candying of citrus and other fruits.  She lives in Vista and has several kumquat trees and several rare and unusual citrus.

She can't figure it out either.  She suggested trying a very small batch, parboiling them briefly in a couple of changes of clear water - as one would do with citrus peel, then go through the candying process with three times the amount of syrup as fruit. 

Her regular process is virtually identical to mine except she adds half a cup of light Karo syrup to 2 quarts of sugar syrup.  I can't see how that small an amount could have much effect.  I have never used it, mainly because I never have it on hand. 

I am going to stop at the middle eastern market on my way home and buy some kumquats and go through my usual process and see if I have any problems. 
I am really stumped by this.

I am also going to see if my microwave method will work on kumquats.  I have never tried it with anything except orange, lemon and grapefruit peel.

View Post

I thought the parboiling for citrus peels was to remove the bitterness in the orange or grapefruit rinds. I would have thought it was unnecessary for kumquats, where the rind is sweet. I wonder whether it might have been better NOT to "core" the fruit before beginning to cook it. It seemed to me that that small hole in the kumquat enabled the juice to quickly "leak" out , at which point the kumquats "deflated". If they weren't pierced, maybe the sugar solution would slowly go into the fruit, and they would not collapse as they were cooking. I also couldn't see how a covered pot would enable the sugar solution to get more concentrated with time. The kumquat juice and condensing steam off the crockpot lid just seemed to further dilute the cooking liquid. How about cooking on low, without the lid, replenishing the sugar solution only as needed to keep the kumquats submerged?

#32 aznsailorboi

aznsailorboi
  • participating member
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:38 AM

how about if I just prick the kumquat 3-4 times with a needle(the thickest one in the sewing kit) in different areas? at least there is an inlet and outlet for the syrup when the heating and cooling effects are happening? do you think it would work?
...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

#33 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:48 PM

So :rolleyes: ...now I have a lovely bunch of candied kumquats, some deflated, some not. Besides eating them straight out...no one told me about the pits :wacko: ...what else can I do with them?

I looked in the recipe section. No recipes.

Thanks.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#34 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

So :rolleyes: ...now I have a lovely bunch of candied kumquats, some deflated, some not.  Besides eating them straight out...no one told me about the pits :wacko: ...what else can I do with them?

I looked in the recipe section.  No recipes. 

Thanks.

View Post

I just finished a new batch. I stood there and laboriously sliced each one into circles and removed the pits. :wacko: (I didn't do that last year and I think it's worth the extra effort.)

It's wonderful stirred into plain yogurt, drizzled over chocolate ice cream or bittersweet chocolate cake or even a plain pound cake. Very elegant and versatile.
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#35 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

[I just finished a new batch.  I stood there and laboriously sliced each one into circles and removed the pits.  :wacko:  (I didn't do that last year and I think it's worth the extra effort.)

It's wonderful stirred into plain yogurt, drizzled over chocolate ice cream or bittersweet chocolate cake or even a plain pound cake.  Very elegant and versatile.

View Post

Thanks. I think I'll just halve them and remove the pits that way. Lazy.... :wink: and then see.

I usually dip just about everything candied in very dark chocolate, but these won't work. Well, not very well.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#36 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

[I just finished a new batch.  I stood there and laboriously sliced each one into circles and removed the pits.  :wacko:  (I didn't do that last year and I think it's worth the extra effort.)

It's wonderful stirred into plain yogurt, drizzled over chocolate ice cream or bittersweet chocolate cake or even a plain pound cake.  Very elegant and versatile.

View Post

Thanks. I think I'll just halve them and remove the pits that way. Lazy.... :wink: and then see.

I usually dip just about everything candied in very dark chocolate, but these won't work. Well, not very well.

View Post

Both times that I made these, they didn't hold up well to the candying i.e. they collapsed; so, dipping was out of the question.

Might be able to dice them up, dry them out a bit in a slow oven, and use in some bark, though - that'd be very tasty.
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#37 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

I've had mixed results with the collapsing and took cues from this thread. The slow cooker method with a very slow cool down did best for me. I recently piped ganache into the center which worked well, and I guess you could open the bottom even more to remove the pit, then pipe.

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#38 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

Store in a tightly closed glass jar.  Do not store in plastic bags.

View Post

Dear Ginger Lady,

Can you store candied kumquats (orange peel, lemon peel, etc) in plastic containers? Any why are plastic bags forbidden?

Thanks. :smile:

BTW, the candied Meyer peels are outstanding.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates