Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Flavoring Buttercream

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 schneich

schneich
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:08 PM

since i have to do lots of buttercream from now on i tried to flavor it different ways. i use an old family recipe. its basically making an egg custard with eggs an d sugar, then beat the mixture in a cold waterbath to room temp, next whis in butter same temp. if the mixture separates it can be fixed in no time by beating it in a warm waterbath. so far so good this stuff is easy to make and quite tasty. it can be loaded with as much melted chocolate as you like. also one or two caps of grand marnier concentrate are tolerated without harm. next thing i wanted to try was a frosting for my plum cupcakes, i reduced some plum juice to a sirup and incorporated this ( and some cassis) into the buttercream. for a moment everything looked cool but then the mixture started "gliding" in the bowl and moments later it kind of semi seperated...

can a buttercream only tolerate so much of a "watery phase" ??
i thought it works like in a mayonnaise where i can add as much water as i like and only affect the viscosity....

what about the laduree folks and their raspberry buttercream which is bright red and taste like raspberry... ?? :blink:

help is very much appreciated...

cheers

t.

Edited by schneich, 19 February 2006 - 05:10 PM.

toertchen toertchen
patissier chocolatier cafe
cologne, germany

#2 project

project
  • participating member
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:03 PM

When a dog walks on its hind legs, the wonder is not that he does it awkwardly but that he does it at all.

Buttercream is like that dog: That you have been able to make it stand up at all is already plenty amazing.

I tried to make buttercream once, from 'Mastering'. I followed the recipe very carefully and ended up with a yellow liquid with the viscosity of cream. Then I got desperate and started improvising. I did this and that. Finally I just put it in the freezer for most of an hour and then beat it over ice. Finally I got something light yellow and about like whipped cream. That's the way it got used, and I never tried buttercream again.
What would be the right food and wine to go with
R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

#3 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:48 PM

for a moment everything looked cool but then the mixture started "gliding" in the bowl and moments later it kind of semi seperated... 

can a buttercream only tolerate so much of a "watery phase" ??
i thought it works like in a mayonnaise where i can add as much water as i like and only affect the viscosity....

what about the laduree folks and their raspberry buttercream which is bright red and taste like raspberry... ?? :blink:

help is very much appreciated...

cheers

t.

View Post

Did you stop beating when it started separating? If you did, I would bring it back to room temp and try beating it on low for a couple minutes to see if it comes back together.
Hopefully some of our experts will chime in.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#4 Tweety69bird

Tweety69bird
  • participating member
  • 462 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:43 AM

I would suggest to keep beating it for a while, and see if it comes together... I find that when I add vanilla into my BC is starts to do that whole spinning thing because it seems that the vanilla forms a coat between the BC and the bowl - making everything spin around, but if you keep beating it it'll come together... good luck!!
Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

#5 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:27 AM

also, warming it up ever so slightly while beating will bring it back together. i've added fruit purees until my buttercream broke and just kept whisking and it all magically came back together. don't give up hope until all avenues have been taken!

#6 schneich

schneich
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:57 PM

thats what i did...

i know that you can save a broken bc by warming it up a bit, the weird thing was that it DID come together again in the bain marie, but only to separate again a minute or two later. it just didnt seem to be able to hold itself in shape....
it didnt completely seperate, it just wasnt smooth anymore.....

what about acidicity ???

whats the recipe for the red raspberry buttercream in those macarons as they are sold at laduree, anyone have the recipe ???
toertchen toertchen
patissier chocolatier cafe
cologne, germany