Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Eggs, Beaten, w/ Stuff Inside -Cook-Off 19

Cookoff

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#151 Digijam

Digijam
  • participating member
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:41 AM

One overripe banana and a desire to pop my eGullet image uploading cherry equals...

Posted Image

Banana souffle.

Threw together a base of the pureed banana, rum, grated coconut, cinnamon and a little nutmeg syrup. Wanted the fruit to shine through and as light a texture as possible, so heated the base with a little cornflour to hold it together, rather than using raw yolk, bechemel or gelatin. Folded in one whisked egg white per ramekin and whacked 'em in the oven at 220c. 10 minutes to cook. 1 minute to eat. 30 minutes for mouth to stop burning.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

#152 Chufi

Chufi
  • participating member
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:23 AM

I love to revisit old Cook-off threads. And I can never make anything that resembles an omelet, quiche, souffle or frittata, without thinking of the phrase Eggs, Beaten, with Stuff In Them :biggrin: I think it should be a cookbook!

anyway, I made a pretty good potato tortilla today. The key: cooking the onions and potatoes sloooooowly for a loooooong time.

Posted Image

#153 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:33 AM

Damn, that is gorgeous. I somehow never have the patience to cook my potatoes too long when making Spanish Tortillas. How long did you cook them for? In how big a pan with how much oil?
PS: I am a guy.

#154 Chufi

Chufi
  • participating member
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:48 AM

Damn, that is gorgeous. I somehow never have the patience to cook my potatoes too long when making Spanish Tortillas. How long did you cook them for? In how big a pan with how much oil?

View Post

3 medium potatoes, 1 onion, 1 clove of garlic in a regular size frying pan, with about 3 tablespoons of oil, took about 45 minutes cooking very slow. I fried the tortilla in a much smaller frying pan (18 cm) or it would have been too thin.

#155 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Resurrecting this thread in order to find a spot for the quiches I baked this evening.  

Steamed white onion and broccoli, cheddar cheese and sauteed mushrooms.  Lard pastry.  

These will make their way into the freezer for lunches for the rug rat and dinners for my dad.  

DSCN2025.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookoff