Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Valentine's Day at WHITE CASTLE!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Luckylies

Luckylies
  • participating member
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:17 AM

I tried to get my man to take me to white castle, but alas, we went to chantarelle insted... I long for the man who truly understands me... :blink:
does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

#32 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:37 AM

This is truly one for the books!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: 

The Perlows Visit White Castle to consummate their passion and love among the teenagers who are the only acutal witnesses to the event ...

View Post

Wait a minute! I didn't see any pictures of anybody consummating their passion and love in the White Castle! (Aren't there other kinds of boards for that?)

#33 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:04 PM

I figured I'd better check in on this thread, just so you all know I'm not mad at Jason or anything. We've had some V-day doozies in the past, and frankly they are rarely worth the hassle. This was silly and fun. We both thought they could have upped the kitch with more Valentines decorations and maybe a Valentine themed menu item (besides a sack of burgers). They used to have a Roma Burger (with a slice of roma tomato), or how about a pizza burger, cheese and sauce are easy enough to add. But it was fun and all the women were giggling, most of the men we spoke with did it as a surprise to their ladies, with something else planned for afterward. I kept the sliders to a minimum, so as to better enjoy some greens at C46 afterwards. The fish nibblers are one of their better offerings, very fresh and crisp, with chopped parsley in the coating.

#34 Carrot Top

Carrot Top
  • legacy participant
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:09 PM

Honestly, I think it was very nice (in the best sense of the word) for White Castle to put together something like this, and in the end it really doesn't matter how "fancy" something is, it matters if you enjoy it. And obviously it was fun and the food was good. Can't beat that, really. :wink:

#35 Gifted Gourmet

Gifted Gourmet
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:08 PM

Wait a minute!  I didn't see any pictures of anybody consummating their passion and love in the White Castle!  (Aren't there other kinds of boards for that?)

View Post

Yeah, but they all have those annoying popups ... :huh: poor choice of words for a romantic lover, I guess ... :laugh:
Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

#36 Fresser

Fresser
  • participating member
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:45 PM

This is just so Jeff Foxworth-esque.
[twang]
If the host asks you to pull up to the second window to pay for your meal...you might be a Redneck!

"Would ya super-size those fries for the Lil' Lady? It's our anniversary! :wub: "
[/twang]
There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

#37 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:35 PM

Wait a minute!  I didn't see any pictures of anybody consummating their passion and love in the White Castle!  (Aren't there other kinds of boards for that?)

View Post

Yeah, but they all have those annoying popups ... :huh: poor choice of words for a romantic lover, I guess ... :laugh:

View Post

Thanks. That was the hardest I've ever laughed at an eGullet post.

#38 yellow truffle

yellow truffle
  • participating member
  • 747 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:28 PM

Candlelight, romance in a castle — all for $9.19 from the Daily Herald, with photos.

#39 ronnie_suburban

ronnie_suburban
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

Candlelight, romance in a castle — all for $9.19 from the Daily Herald, with photos.

View Post

. . . and to think, I actually cooked last night. What the heck was I thinking? :wacko: :biggrin:

=R=
"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

#40 mizducky

mizducky
  • participating member
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

Posted Image

View Post

Brilliant shot. But why does it remind me of a promo photo for the latest teen-demographic TV sitcom? :laugh:

#41 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

By the way, these were all foreign exchange students, from Germany.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#42 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:17 PM

We've eaten at White Castle many times before, but would you believe my wife got sick a few hours after we got home? Then she didn't think the whole thing was so funny. I had a few beers while waiting for her to get home before we went, so I can only chalk it up to being her first time eating White Castle burgers without first drinking.

View Post

no, john-

after having a nice lunch with my john and sharing a bottle of champagne i spent from 3-11 am in the bathroom sicker than a dog!! it's that stomach virus that's going around these parts. haven't been to a white castle since library school days in albany...
The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#43 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:52 AM

In reading some of the comments about other WC's V-days, I feel a little jipped. Some locations offered free appetizers and/or sparkling cider! We did get the polaroid pic though, and a little bag of chocolates at the end.

#44 BuzzDraft

BuzzDraft
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:33 PM

...We did get the polaroid pic though, and a little bag of chocolates at the end.

View Post

Well Rachel, my Valentine's Day this year can be summarized by, "I got a rock."

That really looked like a lot of fun. Very clever and tongue-planted-firmly-in-cheek by the company. I miss White Castles that aren't from the frozen food section.
TomH...
BRILLIANT!!!
HOORAY BEER!

#45 LindaJ

LindaJ
  • participating member
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:50 PM

By total coincidence, my husband and I spent Valentine's Day evening re-watching "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle". Must be some sort of harmonic convergence made us all White Castley.

#46 Jennifer Iannolo

Jennifer Iannolo
  • participating member
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:56 PM

Oh. My.

And I was only kidding about the chocolates! This is fabulous!!!

Rachel and Jason, I now have the irreplaceable vision of sweet nothings by White Castle-light. I'm not sure if I find that incredibly endearing or horrifically frightening. :biggrin:

Bravo to you both for doing something so fun. Tho' I'm wondering what motivated the exchange students to be there...
Jennifer L. Iannolo
Founder, Editor-in-Chief
The Gilded Fork™
Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.
Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)