Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Baking 101

• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#271 jumanggy

jumanggy
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

The yolk cooks in the microwave fairly quickly and has a nice hard-boiled texture without the green color. I make sure that the yolks are pierced with a fork, though the same result might be had with whisking them all together, and I use plastic wrap on top of the microwaveable bowl. It cooks in a short moment.

Egg whites, though, I have too many of... They might find themselves in a Concorde soon.

That cherry/tapioca thing is an annoying curiosity!
Mark
The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)
No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

#272 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:17 AM

The yolk cooks in the microwave fairly quickly and has a nice hard-boiled texture without the green color. I make sure that the yolks are pierced with a fork, though the same result might be had with whisking them all together, and I use plastic wrap on top of the microwaveable bowl. It cooks in a short moment.

Egg whites, though, I have too many of... They might find themselves in a Concorde soon.

That cherry/tapioca thing is an annoying curiosity!

View Post

Okay. I'll try this. I'm planning to make PH's Parisian Flan pretty soon.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#273 mrbigjas

mrbigjas
  • participating member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:51 PM

The obvious answer is to do a test: make a cherry pie with tapioca, a cherry pie with arrowroot, a cherry pie with cornstarch, a cherry pie with potato starch...and then invite the neighborhood over to eat cherry pie. :wacko:

MelissaH

View Post

And post the results here. :biggrin:

View Post

you both have a very good point. however i only had one quart of cherries. so i mentioned it to my coworker who bakes a lot. she made a face and started complaining about how she hates tapioca, and it makes everything too gummy, and how she just puts in cornstarch and it's all fine.

so that's what i did. and the pie is cooling now. but i'm thinking, maybe the reason that people recommend tapioca is for that gumminess. cherries are kind of a big fruit for a pie, and aren't cut, so the filling isn't real homogenous and you want something that will really hold things together...

#274 sharonb

sharonb
  • participating member
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

Hello... Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would add this here.

What, exactly, is the role of baking powder/baking soda vs. yeast? Why do the prior exist?

Since I've moved to Paris, I have access to "levure" (chemical yeast, in little packets). Should I just use the equivalent amount of that when baking powder or soda is called for?

What happens when you add too much rising agent? (I know with too little it becomes flat...)

Last week I made brownies and added about a teaspoon of levure instead of a teaspoon of baking powder. The batter rose and overflowed and dripped onto the floor of my oven, but afterward, the brownies sank and were delicious.

A previous time, though, the brownies came out flat from the start and not great.

Any ideas? I hear baking is such a precise science, but I am completely at a loss with American recipes here.

#275 alma

alma
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

[/quote] Any ideas? I hear baking is such a precise science, but I am completely at a loss with American recipes here.

View Post

[/quote]

I don´t think it is as simple as substituting the amount of yeast for the equivalent of baking powder or soda.
I'm not a master on yeast matters, but somewhere I read that if you have no baking powder, you can substitute each teaspoon of it with 1/4 teaspoon baking soda + 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar.
Hope it helps!

Edited by alma, 29 August 2007 - 10:02 PM.

#276 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

Yeast wont be great for cookies and batters that are lightly mixed (no Gluten)
There also other chemical reactions happening having to do with Acid/Base that will affect some chocolate and fruit recipes. Like depending on if you have a recipe with Baking Soda or Powder blueberries can turn green and the product looks nasty.

Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) Cream of Tartar (Tartaric Acid) if that helps at all

tracey
The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers
Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage
garden state motorcyle association

#277 eskay

eskay
  • participating member
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:41 PM

Is there a way to convert between egg sizes? To be specific, I have a recipe that calls for a jumbo egg, but I only keep large eggs around. Is it likely to affect the recipe much? I figured that since it's just a single egg I'd ignore the jumboness and carry on, but will it be lacking in liquid or something?

Thanks
Kate

#278 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:16 PM

not too much help but:

one large egg is usually anywhere from 1.67 to 1.75 oz by weight (this is excluding the shell)

one dozen jumbo eggs is a minimum of 30 ounces. this is including the shell. so, if you divide 30 by 12 you get 2.5 ounces and subtracting about 11% of the weight for the shell...2.22 ounces for one jumbo egg.

you can figure out the difference and just whisk some eggs together and weigh out the extra amount you need to make it up.

#279 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,195 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

Ann Amernick's new book has a full conversion of egg sizes, as well as whites and yolks. Very helpful. I'll see if its original or if I can post it.

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#280 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:58 AM

Is there a way to convert between egg sizes?  To be specific, I have a recipe that calls for a jumbo egg, but I only keep large eggs around.  Is it likely to affect the recipe much?  I figured that since it's just a single egg I'd ignore the jumboness and carry on, but will it be lacking in liquid or something?

Thanks

View Post

Sarah's got yah covered.

Go here: http://www.baking911...y/eggs.htm#SIZE

Then scroll down one screen full (one & a half pages) to that lovely and genius and helpful little chart on the left:
"To Make One Cup"

#281 Beanie

Beanie
  • participating member
  • 414 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

Is there a way to convert between egg sizes?  To be specific, I have a recipe that calls for a jumbo egg, but I only keep large eggs around.  Is it likely to affect the recipe much?  I figured that since it's just a single egg I'd ignore the jumboness and carry on, but will it be lacking in liquid or something?

Thanks

View Post

Sarah's got yah covered.

Go here: http://www.baking911...y/eggs.htm#SIZE

Then scroll down one screen full (one & a half pages) to that lovely and genius and helpful little chart on the left:
"To Make One Cup"

View Post

So much information, but am I the only one who gets a headache reading that web site? :blink:
Ilene

#282 alma

alma
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

Thanks

View Post

You can take a look at The American Egg Board, they have plenty of information at: http://www.aeb.org/L...gFacts.htm#size

Hope it helps

#283 jumanggy

jumanggy
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:06 PM

I bought myself a dessert (cake) ring, and I don't want it to be a disaster on my first try: what's the best way to unmold a dessert?

1. should there always be an exactly sized carboard cake round under the cake?
2. should the finished cake be room temp, cold, or frozen?
3. should I always use a torch to heat up the outside? I don't have a torch, so can I use a hair dryer? (by the way, won't either way melt the sides and make it look ugly?)
4. if the ring offers resistance when I pull it down, should I continue or heat the sides a bit more?

I realize if the sides of the ring were lined with acetate, I wouldn't have all these problems.. :smile: but I'm assuming I'm supposed to manage it without acetate. Thanks in advance!
Mark
The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

#284 dystopiandreamgirl

dystopiandreamgirl
  • participating member
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:33 AM

there is a recipe for chestnut truffles in the Bernachon's book; the center is chestnut buttercream dipped in chocolate, wrapped in marzipan and enrobed in more chocolate - they are good but the marzipan is so strong it overpowers the more subtle chestnut flavor - I was mulling over an alternative, and wondered if one could make a chestnut marzipan - as the meal from the roasted nuts is fairly dry, could one force it through a seive, process it with some powdered sugar, a few drops of rum, and a drizzle of corn syrup or liquid fondant, and have a decently textured product?

would it work? if not, why not?

thanks for any responses and suggestions...I LOVE chestnut desserts.

#285 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,195 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:25 AM

I bought myself a dessert (cake) ring, and I don't want it to be a disaster on my first try: what's the best way to unmold a dessert?

1. should there always be an exactly sized carboard cake round under the cake?
2. should the finished cake be room temp, cold, or frozen?
3. should I always use a torch to heat up the outside? I don't have a torch, so can I use a hair dryer? (by the way, won't either way melt the sides and make it look ugly?)
4. if the ring offers resistance when I pull it down, should I continue or heat the sides a bit more?

I was expecting a pro to respond Mark, but since they didn't here is my experience. I wasn't quite sure if you were talking about a baked cake or an assembled cake (mousse, genoise). But, for baked cakes I always butter and flour my ring and have no problems at all after 15 minutes out of the oven. Sometimes I'll run a small knife around the edges just to be sure. If its an assembled dessert (like many of us have done the orange exotic), then I freeze (if ingredients allow). If they don't allow, then you're right that the acetate strips become critical.

As for the cardboard. I'm cheap and only have one size - its always too big which makes decorating difficult (hence my closeups when I post pictures :wink: ). A smaller one makes more sense for a finished product, but I also rarely serve on cardboard - it gets lifted onto the platter.

I don't own a torch and have rarely needed one. Again this goes back to the freeze and acetate question. If its frozen, you can normally just push it out. With acetate no torch would be needed (or wanted).

#286 jumanggy

jumanggy
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the answer, Rob! Yeah, I was referring to an assembled dessert. I was thinking if I didn't have cardboard under it, I might end up with a hand-sized hole in my cake (if I push the cake up from the ring) or make a hand-shaped indentation on top (if I pull the ring up out of the cake). But the freezing/ acetate makes absolute sense now, thanks. If I do wreck my sides, I guess that's my cue to learn to temper chocolate/ use transfer sheets and hide everything! (Now all we need do is worry about the freezing of the individual components, like meringue (heh), or mousses, creams, and custards.) Thanks again!
Mark

#287 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:46 AM

What's the difference (if there is one) between candied ginger and crystalized ginger?

Thanks.

#288 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

Apparently they're one and the same. Thank goodness for Google, which led me to About.com, which has a recipe to make your own. Here's the link:

http://homecooking.a...ystalginger.htm

Edited for copyright reasons.

Edited by cakewalk, 25 January 2008 - 07:28 AM.

#289 JudyPH

JudyPH
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:47 AM

I have a question.... i am opening a cake shop soon.... will be making mostly wedding cakes. I don't have formal culinary training so i think this may be a dumb question.

What kind of oven should i use? Gas, convection or digital?

(hope i posted this in the right section :)

#290 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:02 AM

I have a question.... i am opening a cake shop soon.... will be making mostly wedding cakes.  I don't have formal culinary training so i think this may be a dumb question.

What kind of oven should i use?  Gas, convection or digital?

(hope i posted this in the right section :)

View Post

i'll assume that since you're opening a shop, you've been selling cakes for a while, right? if that's the case, then maybe you should use the type of oven that you're used to using already. your recipes work with it and you won't have to make any adjustments. if you're looking to increase your production substantially, then you might have to consider different equipment. i'm not sure what a 'digital' oven is. can you explain that one? are you talking about a Combi? gas and convection are not mutually exclusive. you can have an electric convection or a gas convection.

#291 eskay

eskay
  • participating member
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

I'm making tarts with a baked custard filling. Is it possible to make the custard and refrigerate it overnight before baking it in the tart shells, or should I make it right before baking? It contains milk, heavy cream, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
Kate

#292 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

Chilling the custard separately overnight will be fine, just stir it before you pour it in the tart shell in case it has separated at all.

#293 eskay

eskay
  • participating member
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing it the next day anyways, so it turned out to not be an issue, but I'll remember for next time! This is what I made.
Kate

#294 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,195 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

Here's a question that I should know that answer to (but don't). Why the water bath for cheesecakes? I'm asking at a more technical level than "so it doesn't crack." I've made plenty of cheesecakes without water baths that didn't crack. Anybody know the food science answer?

Edited by gfron1, 06 November 2008 - 04:52 PM.

#295 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

What's the difference (if there is one) between candied ginger and crystalized ginger?

Thanks.

View Post

There is the best candied ginger recipe in eGullet in the recipe section from Andie. I tried it with great success and even dipped the finished slices in chocolate. :wink:

Then following Andie's instructions, I planted the extra little ginger knobbies and made hard candies out the leftover gingery flavored syrup. Good luck!
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#296 emilyr

emilyr
  • participating member
  • 500 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

Here's a question that I should know that answer to (but don't).  Why the water bath for cheesecakes?  I'm asking at a more technical level than "so it doesn't crack."  I've made plenty of cheesecakes without water baths that didn't crack.  Anybody know the food science answer?

View Post

I always assumed that it was because it made sure the heat was evenly distributed around the whole cake evenly. You probably didn't crack your non-waterbath cakes because ovens are now much more reliable and even, especially if you're using convection.
"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

#297 jumanggy

jumanggy
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:04 PM

From the Good Eats Fan Page (Episode on Cheesecake):

The problem is if they get too hot or if they heat too quickly, these proteins over-coagulate. That is they tighten up and they can literally wring all the moisture out of the cheesecake.

So, not cracking, but curdling. Don't ask me how I know but I found that too-eager and jiggling of the cheesecake to see if it's done is a more likely culprit for cracking! ;)

Edited by jumanggy, 06 November 2008 - 07:05 PM.

Mark

#298 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,195 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:51 PM

Leave it to Alton...he knows everything. Thanks.

#299 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

Leave it to Alton...he knows everything.  Thanks.

View Post

but you're fine baking cheesecakes in a low oven without a water bath. especially individuals that are made in ring molds without bottoms, a water bath is obviously impossible. just be careful not to overcook.

even baking in a water bath (which technically can't get hotter than boiling, 212F) can curdle egg proteins as they cook at 175F or thereabouts when protected by sugar and other things. plus the dry heat on the top from the oven isn't protected by the water.

#300 lostbaker

lostbaker
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

I'm really really new to baking, so please don't laugh :$

What thickness of ganache is ideal? Should it be poured or put on with a spatula? I'm leaning towards poured, I even tried doing that, but I couldn't do the edges well. Parts of it got coated completely and perfectly, but some parts just had a sort of drizzle. Can someone please explain? Thanks. I hope this is in the right section.

Edited by lostbaker, 30 November 2008 - 01:18 PM.