Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolate chip cookie recipe tweaks for Silpat?

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ellen Shapiro

Ellen Shapiro
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 775 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:50 PM

I'm becoming very fond of my Silpats (I have Exopats, actually, but everybody calls them Silpats anyway), but have found that my standard chocolate chip cookie recipe (the Nestle Toll House recipe with double the vanilla and an upgrade to better chocolate) is too "spready" when baked on Silpats. In other words the cookies spread out very wide and thin, almost comically so, when baked.

Does anybody have a chocolate chip cookie recipe that specifically works well on Silpat surfaces? I'd be especially interested in the theory of how to modify my current recipe or oven temperature (again I follow Nestle Toll House here) to make it less "spready."
Ellen Shapiro
www.byellen.com

#2 memesuze

memesuze
  • participating member
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

can't help you with the Silpat-specific recipe, but I recall reading a recipe for something recently that called for parchment paper which allowed the dough to cling, and warned against the slipperiness of Silpat.

#3 cookman

cookman
  • participating member
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

I'm becoming very fond of my Silpats (I have Exopats, actually, but everybody calls them Silpats anyway), but have found that my standard chocolate chip cookie recipe (the Nestle Toll House recipe with double the vanilla and an upgrade to better chocolate) is too "spready" when baked on Silpats. In other words the cookies spread out very wide and thin, almost comically so, when baked.

Does anybody have a chocolate chip cookie recipe that specifically works well on Silpat surfaces? I'd be especially interested in the theory of how to modify my current recipe or oven temperature (again I follow Nestle Toll House here) to make it less "spready."

View Post

Try chilling the dough first, before scooping it on to the Silpats. Cold dough spreads more slowly, and will stay thicker when cooked.

#4 Brioche57

Brioche57
  • participating member
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

I chill my cookie dough very well too for baking on Silpat.

I don't know if it's me or what, but often I detect a note of "greasieness" when I bake cookies on Silpat that I don't get when I use parchment. Am I losing it? :wacko:

Edited by Brioche57, 30 January 2006 - 09:36 PM.

#5 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:47 AM

You know, I think we just don't use the Silpats when we make the Toll House cookies. We just use unadorned baking sheets. I recall Silpat having the same effect on those cookies myself, which is why we ended up going back to the sheets.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#6 Gifted Gourmet

Gifted Gourmet
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:09 AM

We just use unadorned baking sheets. I recall Silpat having the same effect on those cookies myself, which is why we ended up going back to the sheets.

View Post

Because there is no place for the fats to go with Silpat? :rolleyes:
Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

#7 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:13 AM

Isn't it the fats that cause cookies to spread out? Is there an SSB who can help out here?
If so, I'd try using less of the fat.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#8 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:10 AM

I gave up on the silpats - 2 Airbake cookie sheets cost the same as 1 silpat and give similar bottom "protection"...I really love these pans.
Not that any of us use canned biscuts but you would burn the tops before the bottoms with this kind of pan :rolleyes:

T
oh yeah the cookies maybe a hotter start temp then drop it but you would really have to watch them
The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers
Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage
garden state motorcyle association

#9 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:12 AM

In the book Cookwise, Shirley Corriher has a great discussion of cookies, with a chart outlining what to do for more or less spread. Of her suggestions, it seems that chilling the dough before baking is the easiest solution. If that doesn't work, you might try using part cake flour in addition to all-purpose, or cut the sugar by a tablespoon or two.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate