Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Best Pound Cake

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#61 Becca Porter

Becca Porter
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:02 PM

This recipe also has an Elvis reference at the bottom. I don't know if the recipes are similar. All I can tell you is that my sister and I had a massive pound cake bake-off and this recipe won by a landslide. PLEASE try it and report back it will be well worth it. Really try it now :wub: .

P.S. Make sure you start it in a cold oven as written!

Perfect Pound Cake

1 cup unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon salt
3 cups granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder
*5 large eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup whipping cream
(Sift 3 times before measuring)

Butter and flour 2 9by5 inch loaf pans.

Whisk salt and baking powder into presifted flour. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar together in an electric mixer until light, fluffy and almost white, 4 to 5 minutes, stopping mixer once or twice to scrape down sides. Add eggs one at a time slowly, beating well after each addition. Add one third of flour mixture into the mixer set at low speed. Add half the whipping cream. Continue alternating flour and cream, ending with flour. Add vanilla. With rubber spatula scrape down sides and bottom until completely mixed. Pour into loaf pans, up to 2/3 full.

**Start in a cold oven**.
Place pans on middle rack of oven. Turn oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (Note: It only took mine 55 minutes, so check early)

*You can also do a variation. You can add up to 7 eggs. I did 5 eggs and an extra yolk. Supposedly the 7 egg version is Elvis’s favorite pound cake.

Edited by Becca Porter, 25 January 2006 - 04:03 PM.

-Becca
www.porterhouse.typepad.com

#62 Becca Porter

Becca Porter
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:05 PM

I copied and pasted the above recipe from my WordPerfect. I am sorry it is all smushed together, but I can't seem to fix it. Once again try it :biggrin: .
-Becca

#63 srhcb

srhcb
  • legacy participant
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:29 PM

Just for the fun of it, try the original recipe:

1 lb Eggs = 8 ex lg
1 lb Butter = 4 sticks
1 lb Sugar = 2.25 cups
1 lb Flour = 4 cups

It's "moist, dense, and delicious" and "can be flavored many different ways"

SB (but, as you may already have guessed, it ain't "light") :rolleyes:

#64 xdrixn

xdrixn
  • participating member
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

Sorry, Thisis the elvis # cake, I forgot I put it in my recipe book, quadrupled it and converted it to grams.

pound cake
900 g butter
2750 g sugar
28 eggs
1800 g cake flour
15 g salt
30 g bp
1 l cream
optional 230 g malt
or juice and zest from 12 lemons
www.adrianvasquez.net

#65 etalanian

etalanian
  • participating member
  • 538 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

These are all greatrecipes to test. Thanks so much!

Eileen
Eileen Talanian
[size="3"]HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com
HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com[/size]

[size="3"]As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow[/size]

#66 shaloop

shaloop
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:33 AM

Just for the fun of it, try the original recipe:

1 lb Eggs = 8 ex lg
1 lb Butter = 4 sticks
1 lb Sugar = 2.25 cups
1 lb Flour = 4 cups

It's "moist, dense, and delicious" and "can be flavored many different ways"

SB (but, as you may already have guessed, it ain't "light") :rolleyes:

View Post

I once did pound cake trials :biggrin: and started off with this basic recipe. It looked and tasted very good, but was very heavy. I then started tweaking to get the flavor I liked. I finally got to the perfect poundcake recipe. Moist, light, flavorful and smooth. And promptly lost the recipe. I made so many, I can't for the life of me remember the "perfect" recipe. (I have about 10 recipes and variances written down in the notebook I was working from). I guess I have to start over. But I know the recipe had milk and baking powder.

Oh, I do have a cream cheese poundcake recipe, though, that is wonderful and doesn't use a raising agent. Let me know if you would like it.

#67 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:58 AM

I think we've done other pound cake threads here, so you might try doing a search. There was lots of good info in them, I think.

But as for me, after years of trying every recipe out there, I settled on the Cook's Illustrated recipe. And in my opinion, it's the best.

You can indeed make many variations, and they give instructions for several, including orange or citrus pound cake, and ginger pound cake, which has small flecks of crystalized ginger in it.

Absolutely delicious.

#68 Swisskaese

Swisskaese
  • legacy participant
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

This is the recipe that my grandmother always makes:

Million Dollar Pound Cake

1 lb. Butter, softened
3 C Sugar
6 Eggs
4 C all-purpose Flour
3/4 C Milk
1 tsp Almond Extract
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Cream butter, gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.

Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix, just until blended after each addition. Stir in extracts.

Pour batter into a greased and floured 10" tube pan. Bake at 300º for 1 hour and 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes; remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.

I will put into RecipeGullet later. It is delcious. I haven't made it in a long time. If I made it now, I would try reducing the amount of sugar.

#69 etalanian

etalanian
  • participating member
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:50 PM

Oh, I do have a cream cheese poundcake recipe, though, that is wonderful and doesn't use a raising agent. Let me know if you would like it.

Yes! I would love it! Thanks.

After I finish the project I'm working on now, I am going to try making some of these recipes. Anyone else game - want to try a bake-off for the best pound cake?

Eileen
Eileen Talanian

[size="3"]As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow[/size]

#70 maggie

maggie
  • participating member
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:57 AM

The "Elvis Presley's Favorite Pound Cake" in last year's Music Issue of Gourmet is fantastic. Be sure to follow all the admonishments about over-beating. You cannot over-beat a pound cake, which is what I think they mean in the name, rather than that pound-pound-pound nonsense!

Well, I can't quickly find how to insert the link, but just go to epicurious.com and type in the title of the recipe. It's really yummy, and no annoying separating of eggs or whipping the whites separately. I hate that!

#71 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:19 AM

Yes! I would love it! Thanks.

After I finish the project I'm working on now, I am going to try making some of these recipes. Anyone else game - want to try a bake-off for the best pound cake?

Eileen

View Post

Here's a recipe I used: cream cheese pound cake

I've used probably 15 different recipes over the years...including all the popular ones on Epicurious (like the cream cheese one I linked above). I'll be interested to know which one you all think is the best, since I haven't made a pound cake in the last year, and I don't remember which recipe I chose as a "winner"! :smile:

Here is another I've tried and liked: yellow vanilla pound cake

Edited by Ling, 27 January 2006 - 03:21 AM.

#72 WhiteTruffleGirl

WhiteTruffleGirl
  • participating member
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:31 AM

For your very basic pound cake, I like Bo Friberg's recipe a lot. He keeps it extraordinarily simple as a good pound cake should be.

#73 shaloop

shaloop
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:23 AM

I put the Cream Cheese Poundcake recipe into Recipe Gullet here.

Hope you enjoy!

#74 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:47 AM

Acid will help lighten a pound cake. At least, that's my grandpa's theory who passed it on to my mom who passed it on to me.

What we do is add a teaspoon of lime/lemon juice per 4 ounces of butter. First cream the butter/sugar, add in the juice and beat it, before adding eggs.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#75 divalasvegas

divalasvegas
  • participating member
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

As I was reading through this thread etalanian I remembered a recipe for pound cake from Pastry Chef Gale Gand's Food Network show, "Sweet Dreams." I recall her saying that this recipe reflects how the first pound cakes were flavored. The flavoring agents are brandy, rosewater, and nutmeg (but no vanilla) for instance. Here's the link:

Gale Gand's Purely Pound Cake

I haven't made it, but it sounds delicious.
Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

#76 Betts

Betts
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:48 AM

I have made that cream cheese pound cake many times and it is always a big hit with the customers and does well by me with ease of preparation. I'll have to give Gale Gand's pound cake a try. Her recipes are always winners.

#77 Becca Porter

Becca Porter
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:13 AM

I have put my pound cake recipe into RecipeGullet. It is tiltled Cold Oven Pound Cake. It is here: http://recipes.egull...ipes/r1598.html

:wub:
-Becca

#78 Swisskaese

Swisskaese
  • legacy participant
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:03 PM

I have placed Million Dollar Pound Cake in RecipeGullet.

#79 etalanian

etalanian
  • participating member
  • 538 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:00 PM

This is great! Does anyone want to bake some of these also so -- then compare notes?

Eileen
Eileen Talanian

#80 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:01 PM

I made the Elvis Presley pound cake today. I'm not a fan...way too dense, even for a pound cake.

picture and more comments here

#81 Jujubee

Jujubee
  • participating member
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:41 AM

Well, I don't know about variations on this recipe, but my absolute favorite pound cake is the Cream Cheese Pound Cake from Rosie's Bakery All Butter, Fresh Cream, Sugar Packed, No Holds Barred Baking Book.

#82 Becca Porter

Becca Porter
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:43 AM

Ling, try the Cold Oven pound cake I posted. One of the things I love about it is that it is slightly lighter than most pound cakes, while still being a pound cake.

The flavor also is so buttery and strong.
-Becca

#83 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:20 AM

^I saw the recipe...it's very similar to the Elvis Presley recipe I tried today. I noticed that you prefer the Cold Oven cake with 5 eggs and 2 yolks. I definitely think the 7 eggs was too much in the EP cake. I'll give yours a try soon! Thanks. :smile:

#84 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:16 PM

I made your cake this afternoon, Becca. I did like it a lot more than the Elvis Presley pound cake...it's amazing what a little less egg and a little leavening can do! It is much lighter. However, I don't think I beat the EP cake long enough when I made it on Monday, b/c I was in a big rush. So perhaps the comparison isn't 100% fair, but I do like your pound cake recipe a lot. It would be great with a tart lemon glaze!

link to a photo of Becca's cake

#85 Becca Porter

Becca Porter
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:28 PM

I am so glad you made it. It is my idea of the perfect pound cake. I should try a lemon variation Sounds good.
-Becca

#86 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:13 PM

Hmm...no one else baking pound cakes? :huh:

Today I made RLB's "Perfect Pound cake"...

comments and picture here

#87 etalanian

etalanian
  • participating member
  • 538 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:36 PM

I will be baking some next week...have to finish a project right now that is due on Monday morning.
Eileen Talanian

#88 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:46 AM

I tried your pound cake recipe, Becca. I love it! I halved the recipe to make 1 9x5 loaf. I've been on a vanilla kick lately, so I doubled the amount of vanilla the recipe called for, plus added some tahitiensis vanilla beans. My cake was done in about 53 minutes. I'll try to add some pictures later.
"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" - Rumi

#89 Becca Porter

Becca Porter
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:18 AM

I am so glad you made it Patrick. I would love to see a picture, Lings picture was beautiful. I love that you loved it :wub: .
-Becca
-Becca

#90 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

Here's what the pound cake looks like. Several days later, and its still great stuff. Sweet, dense, vanilla goodness.

Posted Image
"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" - Rumi

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert