Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Salty Snacks

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#211 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

Has anyone tried rousong, aka 'pork floss'?

Just noticed this.

Yes, fibreglass insulating material is about right. Horrible stuff.

Here is my brief but heartfelt take on it.

#212 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

Hey that is nice review of rousong!

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

#213 toolprincess

toolprincess
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

thanks! Now I feel less trepidation! :)

Never tried the spicy dried squid, but regular dried squid was delicious and one of my most surprising food discoveries on my trip to Japan--surprising especially because I don't usually care for most cooked squid--the texture always puts me off. But dried is yummy, and I bet spicy drew is even better.

#214 redfox1939

redfox1939
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

I always love peanuts,why ??When eaten in moderation, many nuts qualify as bona fide superfoods. For example, almonds contain good amounts of vitamin E, calcium, magnesium and potassium. The problem is getting carried away with salted versions—it's much harder to gorge on unsalted nuts, and many salted varieties also come with unhealthy added oil.
Hike Sedona Hiking Preparedness + Energy Supply + Apparel & Gear

#215 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 289 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

That's interesting way of thinking redfox!

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

#216 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Ruffles Max Beer Battered Onion Rings flavored potato chips

LaysBeerBatteredOnionRings.jpg

Wow. What a complete and utter failure. And this product is from the company that makes Funyuns!

You would think they would have at least started with the flavorings from Funyuns and worked on from there.

But these potato chips completely lack any onion flavor at all. I thought that "ok, maybe the flavor builds up over time" but that didn't happen either.

And the beer yeasty-ish tang that beer battered onion rings have? Not present whatsoever in these chips.

I couldn't even tell you what these potato chips do taste like they were so non-descript in flavor.

Pass on them..

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#217 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 13,486 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

If I want to truly satisfy my umami cravings lately I have a portion of really pungent and salty blue cheese with a bunch of nice whole grain crackers. Doesnt give me that disgusting junk food feeling and keeps me satisfied.

Danish Blue and raw sheeps milk Roquefort have been excellent lately for that.

Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#218 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Lays has debuted three new flavors of potato chips and wants the public to vote on their favorite flavor. The winning flavor will become a permanent Lays potato chip product.

I've tried two, so far:

Lays Chicken and Waffle potato chips

LaysChicken&Waffles.jpg

These were okay. I liked the chicken-ish flavor of the chips. I expected a more pronounced sweetness in the chips for the waffles portion of the flavoring...like a kettle corn yin yang sort of salty sweet. It was quite faint, instead. So it was a mixed bag for me. A good flavor but not great.

And Lays Sriracha potato chips

LaysSriracha.jpg

Wow. They nailed it with this flavor. The sriracha flavor is absolutely there and they do have a kick to them. I did expect the potato chips to be hotter, like the sauce, but I'm sure they had to tame it for the general consumer.

So far this is the clear winner.

Both of these bags were consumed by me and then the empty bags were scanned on my office scanner for posting here.

I will post the third flavor, cheesy garlic bread, tomorrow.

#219 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 877 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Toliver -- how sweet are the Sriracha chips? As a point of comparison, I think those Sriracha peas (similar to the Wasabi ones) are too sweet...

#220 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Interesting, Toliver: almost exactly the opposite of Dan Souza's opinion over at Serious Eats.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#221 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Lay's Cheesy Garlic Bread

LaysCheesyGarlicBread.jpg

They got the cheesy part right. It tastes very much like the cheese you'd get on a good garlic bread down to a little tang. However, the chips I tasted didn't seem to have a speck of garlic flavoring...nada...zip...which made for a disappointing chip flavor for me.

The Cheesy Garlic Bread flavor is only half good, in my book.

Again, I consumed the contents of the bag and scanned the empty bag on my office scanner.

Of the the three flavors, the Sriracha flavor seems to be the most accurate.

Emily_R, in my opinion they didn't seem to have any sweetness to them. They just had the tang of the distinct sriracha chiles and some of the heat.

Chris...as for the other review, what can I say? Perhaps we got different batches. The Chicken & Waffle flavored chips I tasted weren't that sweet. I thought the sweetness was barely there which made the flavor a failure. For me, the Cheesy Garlic Bread lacked any sort of garlic flavor which I also considered a failure. You would think you'd need a breath mint after eating a bag full of potato chip called "Cheesy Gralic Bread" but that didn't happen.

I hope others will weigh in with their opinions of the three flavors.

#222 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

Sorry for the double post but has anyone tried Wheat Thins Spicy Buffalo flavor? They're addictive! I was snacking on them at work and had to put the box in a drawer or I would have plowed completely through it.

They have a nice little spicy kick. You can taste the "Tabasco" sauce (or whatever sauce/spice they used) and under it all is the sweet saltiness of the regular Wheat Thins flavor. Salty, spicy, sweet...an addictive combination.

#223 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Doritos Jacked Ranch Dipped Hot Wings

DoritosJackedWings.jpg

This is a picture of a bag I consumed and then scanned the empty bag using my office scanner.

I just don't get it. How did these Doritos make to the market? Imagine all of that time and money spent on creating these horrible tasting tortilla chips. And for what?
Yes, like the other "Jacked" flavors, these triangular tortilla chips were huge and a little extra crispy.

However, the flavor was just terrible. There was no chicken flavoring, so the "wings" in the flavor title obviously had to do with Hot Wings sauce and not the wings themselves. Except that the Hot Wings "sauce" flavoring was just not right. It had a vinegary tang to it but didn't taste like any hot wing sauce I've ever had. Not Tabasco, not Louisiana, not Franks, not Crystal...it just failed as a hot wing sauce flavor.

And the "cool ranch" flavor? Again, it was just not there. Not a single chip tasted like ranch dressing.

So then I thought maybe they think the "cool ranch" means that the heat of the "hot wing" sauce is tamed. Then they got that right. These chips have no (chile-type) heat to them whatsoever.

Major meh. Avoid these chips.

#224 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

I love these guys.. Salt peanuts with dried chiles and sichuan peppercorns. 

So good

8410331155_33df70ee31.jpg

Edited by basquecook, 06 March 2013 - 12:13 PM.

• Okanagancook likes this

#225 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

What someone or some company needs to do, is create a line of "salty" snacks made with salt substitute for people who cant eat salt...

Im trying to use Salt Substitute not in recipes but on foods if I want extra saltiness

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#226 davidkeay

davidkeay
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

I couldn't agree more - these peanuts are fantastic. I also use them as an ingredient in some dishes, when I want some crunch from peanuts and a little sichuan flavor.

I love these guys.. Salt peanuts with dried chiles and sichuan peppercorns. 

So good

#227 hollybuddy

hollybuddy
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

Ohh...so many wild flavours of chips that are not available where I'm from!  :sad:

#228 Ericpo

Ericpo
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Wow, now I have to go buy some salt and vinegar potato chips. Thanks a lot! lol.

That being said my favorite salty snack is without a doubt beef jerky. I prefer homemade or even locally made(from a butcher or smokehouse). But since this is in the "ready to eat"...Wild Bills original(not teriyaki) is some of the best off the shelf jerky around. And unlike many salty snacks, jerky by neccessity is low in fat ;)

Do or do not. There is no try.
-Yoda

#229 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

I'm ashamed to say I am addicted to these things. They are seriously bad. And seriously not "onion rings".

Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Palm Olein, Tapioca Starch, Wheat Starch, Dehydrated Potato, Onion, Flavors (Sugar, Maltodextrin, Salt, MSG, Onion Powder, Artificial Flavors, Yeast Extract, Soy Sauce Powder, Food Additive:Di-sodium 5¹-ribonucleotide), Food Additives (Glycerol Monostearate, Tartrazine).

But no trans-fat!

IMG_4542.jpg

#230 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Ohhh, Chinese Fun Yums!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#231 ericparkr

ericparkr
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

Lays and noodles.....

#232 Mofassah

Mofassah
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

I make my own crisps:

#3 - 6 can be skipped. They are for complete nerds who won't get satisifed unless the chips are as crispy as human possible.

For those nerds, two rules apply:

# 3 to 5 can be skipped¨and replaced with # 6

You don't do #6 if you do # 3 - 5

#6 is easy and all should do that if you don't have ultrasound

1. Slice good, high-starch, potatoes to 1,5 mm slices on a good mandolin. Peeled or not is up to you, but I don't peel them, theres a lot of nice flavour in the peel.
  2. Rinse thoroughly in running cold water untill the water becomes totally clear
  3. Put them in a bag with 500 ml water with 15g salt and vacuum seal them in a chamber sealer 
  4. Let it soak over night in the bag
  5. Put the bag in an ultrasound bath at full power for 40 minutes 
  6. Dunk them in boiling water with baking soda (one teaspoon per liter water) for 40 seconds
  7. Dry them off on a paper towel
  8. Deep-fry them in peanut oil at 150 C for 7 minutes 
  9. Add salt.
  10. Munch,

Ultrasound makes a gazillion of tiny micro cavities in the surface of the potatoes, so the surface becomes much much larger, which in turn makes it a lot crispier when fried. Cooking them with baking soda does much the same.

Edited by Mofassah, 11 June 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#233 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

7 Eleven brand Steak Lover's steak flavored potato chips

7Eleven_SteakChips.jpg

I was a huge fan of Snyder of Hanover's Steak & Onion potato chips :wub:  but they're no longer being made. So I was surprised to see these in a local 7-Eleven. 

They did taste steak-like but, like the Snyder's Steak & Onion chips, they were quite salty. 

Saltiness aside, thumbs up for these chips. 

Ruffles Crispy Fries

Ruffles_CrispyFries.jpg

My first reaction was WTF?

They look exactly like fast food french fries (mostly short and stubby fries but fries nonetheless). 

It's quite funny that on the cover it says "Sliced from REAL potatoes". Really?  :hmmm:

I expected them to taste like those shoe string potatoes that you can buy in the can but these were a little more potatoe-y, not as toothy or substantive as real french fries but the flavor was there and they were crispy, of course.

They also come in a cheese flavor which I didn't see on the chip rack.

On the back of the bag Ruffles suggests that if you like your fries warm, pour these fries into a microwave safe container and heat on high for 30 seconds. So now I have to go back to the 7 Eleven where I bought these to see if they have more so I can try the microwave trick. I will report back if I'm successful.

They were an interesting side trip as far as potato chips go. I'd say they're worth a try if you can find them.

#234 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

Homemade Chiwda! Double the raisins and curry leaves
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#235 Max101

Max101
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

A great recipe to try is just taking pretzel rods and dipping into chocolate.  They are so good and are perfect for when you crave chocolate or something salty.  You can go out and decorate them with sprinkles as well.