Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Oahu recommendations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 michaeldauphinais

michaeldauphinais
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:27 AM

Aloha,

My wife and I will be visiting Oahu next week, and would love some recommendations for great food - not necessarily sit-down, formal dining. We've enjoyed amazing out-of-the way places on other vacations, and we're wondering about kick-butt seafood/sushi that isn't necessarily 4-star. For instance, one of the best seafood experiences we've ever had was at the Barking Crab in Boston - I think we sat at picnic tables and had a near-religious experience.

Suggestions? Thank you! :cool:
In vino veritas.

#2 Tess

Tess
  • participating member
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:11 AM

I suggest you look through this blog. Lots of great down to earth suggestions, and it will get your mouth watering with the photos.

#3 glossyp

glossyp
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:26 AM

The recommendation from Tess to check Reid's site is excellent. Here are a few places to consider as well.

Mitch's Sushi Bar is located in an industrial park near the Airport. Reservations are essential as the place is tiny but they are open from late morning until evening. I find that mid-afternoon is a good time to stop by. Bring your own beer. Mitch's Review.

South Shore Grill on Monsarrat is bargin dining at its best. South Shore Grill Review.

A round up of places worth considering. I especially recommend Bac Nam for Vietnamese. Food 2005.
"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

#4 michaeldauphinais

michaeldauphinais
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:45 PM

Thank you both for making these suggestions! I got hungry just reading about them.
In vino veritas.

#5 Tess

Tess
  • participating member
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 04:19 PM

Just wanted to add, for your classic picnic-table experience, try to check out Giovanni's shrimp wagon on the North Shore. Reid has an entry about it.

#6 umetaro

umetaro
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:04 PM

I second a visit to Mitch's.

Here's more pictures...

http://flickr.com/ph...ro/tags/mitchs/

#7 michaeldauphinais

michaeldauphinais
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:37 PM

Thanks all again for the suggestions. Safe and sound back in AZ today, with fond memories of Giovanni's shrimp truck foremost in our minds. Hope to go back again soon!
In vino veritas.