Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Instant ramen additions

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 WolfChef

WolfChef
  • participating member
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:55 AM

The other topic currently going about serving size of ramen made me wonder what other people add to ramen to personalize it.

I myself prefer thin sliced green onions added just at the end of the 3 minute "cooking" phase.
A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

#2 CharityCase

CharityCase
  • participating member
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:27 AM

The other topic currently going about serving size of ramen made me wonder what other people add to ramen to personalize it. 

I myself prefer thin sliced green onions added just at the end of the 3 minute "cooking" phase.

View Post

Good topic choice WolfChef. I like to crumble dried chinese mushrooms into the bowl, a dollop of Sriracha, green onions and maybe a bit of tom yum soup base. I usually toss the packet that's included. I also swirl a scrambled egg into it.

#3 raxelita

raxelita
  • participating member
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:47 AM

some combination of:
Sriracha, scallion, mushrooms, diced carrot, pureed ginger, garlic, snow peas, egg, tofu, seared pork/beef, jalapenos, lime, rice wine vinegar, chili oil.
or
any vegs about to die in the fridge
any meat in the freezer
and hot sauce
Drink maker, heart taker!

#4 Genny

Genny
  • participating member
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:48 AM

Top Ramen is a great receptical for small bits of this and that. Any left over meat: (chicken, pork, beef) diced 1/4 inch. Frozen peas, broccoli, Sriracha, green onions, carrots, celery. Soy sauce. Eggs: either dolloped in and let to cook without stirring so that I get broth and egg, or if I feel like having a thicker, hearier soup I will stir the egg in and emulsify it into the soup. My cousin used to put parmesan cheese in it. Oh, and I do use the flavor package. I know, I know sodium, etc. But its one of those hold overs from childhood!

#5 viaChgo

viaChgo
  • participating member
  • 300 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:04 AM

I almost always add an egg to mine. Then it's whatever's in the fridge that I'm in the mood for - leftover meat, scallions, and greens usually work the best for me. And kimchi! Usually just the juice to make it spicy & then I eat the kimchi on the side. Oh, and sometimes a little drizzle of toasted sesame oil is good too.

#6 WHS

WHS
  • participating member
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:44 PM

Sometimes I make it with canned low sodium, low fat chicken stock, leave out the flavor packet and add soy sauce and sesame oil. I add tofu, potstickers, kamaboko, leftover chicken to the stock and add a raw egg to semi-cook for the last 2 minutes. I'll add kimchi and scallions to the bowl and pour the soup over them. Top with shichimi and furikake.

#7 Meez

Meez
  • participating member
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:05 PM

Back in college I used to drain off most of the water, add soy, cayenne, black pepper, and sesame oil, and then maybe sprinkle a little of the packet back in so you get this really hot, oily, and salty mass of noodles. Let it sit for a minute so the liquid is absorbed. Rarely consumed before midnight, and usually straight out of the pan.

OK, maybe I still do that.

#8 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:53 PM

Great topic!!!
In the order most often used...

1. Egg
2. Rice
3. Duk(korean rice cake slices)
4. Kimchi
5. Scallions
6. O'Deang (the spam of fish)
7. Left over meat of many type from the fridge

#9 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:08 PM

buy one package of ramen, buy everything you like at the salad bar, find that one lonely chicken cutlet/pork chop/small steak in your freezer. Palce ramen block in bowl of hot water and stir fry the rest of ingrediants add softened ramen seasoning pack sesame oil etc to taste
serves 2 for about 4 bucks :rolleyes:

tracey
The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers
Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage
garden state motorcyle association

#10 WHS

WHS
  • participating member
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:19 PM

What's your preferred ramen brand? I only use Sapporo Ichiban Original.

#11 CharityCase

CharityCase
  • participating member
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:46 PM

Sapporo Ichiban too. Sometimes I don't mind the packet from that either

#12 OnigiriFB

OnigiriFB
  • participating member
  • 495 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:13 PM

my favorite is napa cabbage and asian style meat balls, fish balls, shrimp balls, squid, and pork balls. I buy them all at the asian market and throw them in a large freezer bag where they all get mixed up. When I want ramen I just toss a handful in the boiling water, wait a bit, and then add my napa cabbage and ramen noodles. Yum. Lately I've been throwing out the seasoning packet and just adding some thai sukiyaki sauce to the bowl. When I was younger and lived above a thai restaurant me and the other kid who lived there would come down to the kitchen right before open and make Mama minced pork flavor with whatever was in the mise en place. Talk about being able to be creative with your ramen! We always got made fun of by the cooks though since we could have asked them to make us any dish we wanted but instead chose to eat ramen. I put it down to being young and stupid :rolleyes:

#13 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

Eggs for sure. Instant noodles of any sort just aren't the same without an egg. Minced meat balls and fishballs sometimes too.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#14 tejon

tejon
  • participating member
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:51 PM

Nappa cabbage, bok choy, or just about any asian greens, bits of char siu, dumplings, green onion shards, shredded ginger or pickled ginger, and chili oil all make appearances in my ramen. Sapporo Ichiban Original for me, too.
Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

#15 petite tête de chou

petite tête de chou
  • participating member
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:26 PM

Tofu, Sriracha, toasted sesame oil and lots of shredded lettuce and crushed peanuts on top. Maybes- lime, torn cilantro, bean sprouts or thai basil. I always eat my ramen with chopsticks and slurp the broth from the bowl.
Shelley: Would you like some pie?
Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

#16 tejon

tejon
  • participating member
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:36 PM

Oh, I forgot sesame oil! That's another frequent addition here.
Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

#17 WHS

WHS
  • participating member
  • 384 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:29 AM

I have a Japanese friend who adds butter for "battah ramen"

#18 viaChgo

viaChgo
  • participating member
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:33 AM

What's your preferred ramen brand?  I only use Sapporo Ichiban Original.

View Post

My preferred ad well! But I also like the spicy Korean brands too - Shin, Neoguri

If I'm making ramen for 2, I like to combine 1 Sapporo Ichiban Original & 1 spicy Korean brand. Then add my add-ins.

#19 Genny

Genny
  • participating member
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:38 AM

I generally find Top Ramen...uh...that's what I grew up on!!!! I guess I'll have to venture out and find Ichiban::hmmmm:::

#20 chow guy

chow guy
  • participating member
  • 624 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:51 AM

I add stock or two extra flavor packets to accomodate the add ons

Top add ons
1. scallions
2. dark sesame oil
3. frozen stir fry veggies
4. Whatever I have left over or frozen (shrimp, chicken)

Less often add ons
1. Lemon grass,
2. kaffir lime leaves,
3. chili paste with garlic
4. Duck, scallops

#21 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:57 PM

Back in college I used to drain off most of the water, add soy, cayenne, black pepper, and sesame oil, and then maybe sprinkle a little of the packet back in so you get this really hot, oily, and salty mass of noodles. Let it sit for a minute so the liquid is absorbed. Rarely consumed before midnight, and usually straight out of the pan.

OK, maybe I still do that.

View Post

I still do this too! :biggrin:

I eat Damae (beef flavour) and Shin (spicy, and the Shin kimchi bowls). :wub:

I always poach eggs right in the broth when making instant noodles. It's the only way I can make a poached egg, since the nest of noodles cup the egg while it's cooking. Sesame oil and diced scallion to finish. Mmm!

Edited by Ling, 23 December 2005 - 12:59 PM.

#22 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

Use to be a big Ichiban fan but I don't like it anymore. I go for top or Manchurian.

#23 loiosh

loiosh
  • participating member
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 05:12 PM

I like Nong Shim ramen from Korea. The noodles have a different texture from the leading brands which I like. For maximum convenience I add frozen 'stir fry mix' vegetables, frozen pre-cooked prawns, and maybe an egg. And, of course, sriracha.

#24 vanderb

vanderb
  • participating member
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 04:55 PM

My preferred additions are rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, frozen peas/corn and an egg. I like to whisk the egg a tiny bit so you get bits of egg throughout the noodles.
Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur

#25 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:44 AM

I like Nong Shim ramen from Korea.  The noodles have a different texture from the leading brands which I like.  For maximum convenience I add frozen 'stir fry mix' vegetables, frozen pre-cooked prawns, and maybe an egg.  And, of course, sriracha.

View Post

Yes! Me too! Those noodles are the best.

They have the bowl kind where you just add hot water? Those are good too.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#26 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:59 AM

I like the Doll brand and another brand which I can't remember its name.

I usually have ramen for breakfast, but since I'm not that coherent that early in the morning to be creative, though sometimes I drain the broth and mix in a bit of brown bean sauce and curry powder. (It's the base for the sauce I use when I make long beans.) Or just a bit of oyster sauce and sesame oil, also sans broth.

Years ago, my brother tried to make hot dog chow mein using ramen noodles, but it turned out to be a disgusting mess.
Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

#27 WHS

WHS
  • participating member
  • 384 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:03 AM

Watercress and bean sprouts!

#28 cathrynapple

cathrynapple
  • participating member
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:45 PM

frozen peas while boiling, then shredded cheddar cheese, a little butter, and salt.

#29 pintchow

pintchow
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:06 PM

A topic close to my heart.
I start with low-sodium chicken stock, throw a couple of dried scallops or shrimp, shallots, and let it simmer for 30mins. A healthy pinch of dried salted black beans, or a teaspoon of chilli garlic black bean sauce for kick.
I chuck most of the noodles in lieu of more 'extras', like whatever veggies in season - carrots for colour, broccoli, snow peas, Chinese broccoli (kailan), daikon, Napa cabbage..anything goes. For protein, tofu, shrimp or fish cakes. Or I keep salmon trims and throw that in (waste not, want not!).
I julienne or cut in chunks, depending on my moods.
Yes, an egg works well at the end..doesn't it?
Oh, and add slivers of ginger, a dab of sesame seed oil, and cilantro to finish.

It sounds a lot, but in 10mins flat (if you're not doing the deluxe version using dried scallops..) I have a veerrry filling, but healthy concoction.

In fact, I just had a version with soup made from miso paste.

Oh, and serve with sweet chilli sauce on the side.

Bon Appetite, fellow slurpers!

#30 handmc

handmc
  • participating member
  • 778 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:01 AM

gochujang or LKK chili black bean paste, sesame oil, egg, soy sauce

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------
One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren