Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolate Tempering Machines

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#31 David Lebovitz

David Lebovitz
  • participating member
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:50 PM

I've used the Revolation and the Sinsation and they work well. As others mentioned, it doesn't hold all that much but for a home cook or small restaurant, it'd be fine.

You can rent one here before you make the leap here at Chocolateman (although you need to be in Seattle...but if you're planning a visit...))

If you use palets or pistoles in those machines, the disks climb up and pop out as the machine turns, so it's better to use a big chunk of chocolate.

#32 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:15 PM

Thank you David, for your feedback.I was wondering with the rev , I have seen many time people that used them complained about chocolate not getting perfectly temper on some occasion, and I am wondering if its just depends on what chocolate you use and have to get use to the machine .I can immagine working with a good amount of chocolate and be out of temper ,that would definatly irritate me :angry: :raz: .Those are definatly more affordable as well in the event I have to buy one , wich I will probably do soon.
Vanessa

#33 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:01 AM

You can sometimes get a refurbished machine from Chocovision for $800 (x3210). Call them & find out if any are available.

Mark
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#34 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:13 AM

That would be agood price.
Thank you Mark
Vanessa

#35 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:23 AM

I bought one and it is great. They have very good service & nice people to work with. Call up & see what is available.

Mark
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#36 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:36 AM

If you are looking at the Chocovision machines, you may also want to consider the American Chocolate Company tempering machines. The mechanism is similar, but uses a light bulb as the heat source. The cost is less than $800. The sinsation that I used to have was extremely noisy, sounded like a hair dryer going for hours on end. I gave it away last year, because I could only use it if I was alone in the house.

I did look at the larger chocovision machines at the PMCA this year, but I couldn't tell how noisy they were because of the surrounding noise at the trade show.

The one thing about the style of both the AMC and chocovision machines that bothers me is that if you are molding a plate of chocolates and go to dump the chocolate back into the unit as you invert the plate that you will get chocolate all over everything. It means one extra step of dumping the chocolate out on your counter, scraping it up again and back into the temperer. The tempering machines with the larger rectangular basin are more suited to dumping the chocolate back in a single step. (Of course a couple of thousand dollars goes a long way towards tolerating some inconvenience)

#37 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:16 AM

I agree with Kerry, the chocovisionn machine is a bit noisy. I believe this will be the case with almost any machine that has a rotating bowl verus the wheel as in the Perfect machine (I wish I could afford 1 & had a permanent workspace instead of a rental). I play music so this isn't too bad.

The other issue can be minimized if you tend to let molds drain out over one of the corners. it not very messy with a little practice. But again the machines with a big pan make this process much easier. I do like a heating element for melting chocolate better than a light bulb.

Another nice thing about the chocovision machine is the availability of a hopper that lets you load 10# of chocolate to melt and then do other things. You don't have to tend the machine as much.
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#38 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:21 AM

Another nice thing about the chocovision machine is the availability of a hopper that lets you load 10# of chocolate to melt and then do other things. You don't have to tend the machine as much.

View Post

A hopper? Do you have a picture?

#39 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:41 AM

I don't have a picture. Having trouble figuring out how to post pictures. Help?

Here is a url Lid & hopper assembly cost $150 - heavy duty plastic.

It works very well, you can feed it & leave till chocolate melts.

Edited by mrose, 21 June 2006 - 08:42 AM.

Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#40 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:46 AM

I agree with Kerry, the chocovisionn machine is a bit noisy. I believe this will be the case with almost any machine that has a rotating bowl verus the wheel as in the Perfect machine (I wish I could afford 1 & had a permanent workspace instead of a rental). I play music so this isn't too bad.

The other issue can be minimized if you tend to let molds  drain out over one of the corners. it not very messy with a little practice. But again the machines with a big pan make this process much easier. I do like a heating element for melting chocolate better than a light bulb.

View Post

Good point on the renting , that is going to be my case and a machine that I can move easily would be a better option at this point, even though those nice temperer with the wheel are soo tempting :biggrin:
Vanessa

#41 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:51 AM

I rent space & it takes approx 2 hrs for the chocolate to melt & temper. You also have to carry machine in & out everyday.

Ease of cleanup is another very important issue.
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#42 Trishiad

Trishiad
  • participating member
  • 544 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:18 PM

I'm a chocovision girl myself. They are perfect for carrying to a rental space or a demo location or whatever. They are noisy but I'm not really bothered by it. I have 3 of their machines and use them well.
They have really great customer service as well. I don't think you can find a better machine for the $.

#43 Art

Art
  • participating member
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:00 AM

I've used the Revolation and the Sinsation and they work well. As others mentioned, it doesn't hold all that much but for a home cook or small restaurant, it'd be fine.

I agree. I had the Revolation for awhile and enjoyed it so much, I purchased their larger "X" size (holds up to 10 lbs). I now use it extensively for making test batches of chocolate bars and other little projects around our shop.

They do take a little playing with to find the optimal temperature for your chocolate to get the perfect temper. However, this is is easily achived with their controls. Every chocolate is a bit different so they can't be faulted for the playing around bit.

They also have a new machine that they are coming out with sometime in the next couple months, that can keep the chocolate in temper almost indefinitely by fluctuating the temperature. Also, as I recall, it allows you to make programs for different chocolate types and projects. The target price, was around $2000 or so. (Please forgive me if I have any of these details wrong, I'm doing this from memory since they don't have any brochures for it yet.) As of two weeks ago, they were just getting their prototype in and hopefully, they will work through any issues quickly. I'll probably pick one up as soon as it is available.

-Art
Amano Artisan Chocolate
http://www.amanochocolate.com/

#44 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:06 AM

Thank you ,I thought that the chocovision needed a little bit of experimenting in order to get the right temper all the time , as you said dependes the chocolate.
I was wondering what is the real different between the two big ones ;

http://www.selectapp...ation-x3210-2pc
this one

http://www.selectapp...v_revolation-k5
and this one,other than 2500$.
Vanessa

#45 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:47 AM

I am not sure if they still make the K5 machine. You get some extra stuff with it but it is $2500 more. The best thing is that the controls are on top out of the way. If I was going to spend $3500 I would get the Perfect machine.

You can call them & ask for Amanda, she is very helpful & will answer all of your questions. 1-800-324-6252
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#46 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:51 AM

Yes the price difference is quite a bit and I could get a wheel one for that price like you said.
Thank you
Vanessa

#47 stscam

stscam
  • participating member
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:34 AM

Our Chocovision X3210 was horribly noisy. After two years of service the motor burned out, so we sent it in to them to repair. They replaced the motor and gear box with the latest version and now the darn thing is so quiet it's downright spooky.

I hasten to add that our 3210 was an early model and we used it a lot. These machines are not prone to breaking down. However, if you buy a 3210 I recommend getting the extended warranty. It's like $300, but repairs can be costly.

The latest machines have a neat feature that melts chocolate in the bowl prior to spinning. This is useful if you've got a hardened pool from yesterday. You don't have to pull it out and break it up - just let the machine do the work for you. At the end of 30 mintues the bowl will start rotating.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Smith
Glacier Country

#48 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:39 AM

Our Chocovision X3210 was horribly noisy. After two years of service the motor burned out, so we sent it in to them to repair. They replaced the motor and gear box with the latest version and now the darn thing is so quiet it's downright spooky.

I hasten to add that our 3210 was an early model and we used it a lot. These machines are not prone to breaking down. However, if you buy a 3210 I recommend getting the extended warranty. It's like $300, but repairs can be costly.

The latest machines have a neat feature that melts chocolate in the bowl prior to spinning. This is useful if you've got a hardened pool from yesterday. You don't have to pull it out and break it up - just let the machine do the work for you. At the end of 30 mintues the bowl will start rotating.

Cheers,

Steve

View Post

Thank you Steve , I love to hear from you guys your experiences, its a investement better do my homeworks first , it seems all of you love your Rev .
Oh another question , do I need to buy it directly form the company or I can buy form another source ( cheaper ) , I mean for warranty and extend warranty pourpose?

Edited by Desiderio, 22 June 2006 - 10:41 AM.

Vanessa

#49 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:52 AM

You can get it from a rep, the machine is sent from mfg. Call Chocovision, they sell refurbished machine w/warranty for $800 at times. I bought one. She aslo told me, you can get extended warranty at anytime. So you could actually wait for a breakdown & then get it. Then send in for repairs.
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#50 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:08 AM

You can get it from a rep, the machine is sent from mfg. Call Chocovision, they sell refurbished machine w/warranty for $800 at times. I bought one. She aslo told me, you can get extended warranty at anytime. So you could actually wait for a breakdown & then get it. Then send in for repairs.

View Post

Thank you :-)
Vanessa

#51 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:44 AM

Used machine on Ebay for $900.

Revolation X
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#52 WhiteTruffleGirl

WhiteTruffleGirl
  • participating member
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:30 AM

I know all of you who own the 3210 really seem to like it, and since I don’t have one--and have never used it--I can’t really comment on it. I do own a Rev2--which I bought when I first started working with chocolate--to ‘get my feet wet’ and it served me well. But I outgrew it very quickly. And, it had some design features I didn’t really like--which its bigger sibling shared--so while I considered the 3210, I ultimately decided against it.

If you can bear, I’ll quickly and quietly make my pitch for the Mol d’Art, and then not hijack this thread any further. And I don’t really offer many of these comparisons in opposition to the 3210 specifically (although some are)…just a different perspective on a different way to go.

One of the things I like best about this machine is I can dump my molds directly back into the unit as I work. I do not have to dump my molds onto a separate work surface then scrape the chocolate back into the tempering unit. For me, I see two advantages. First, it’s much more time efficient, which is incredibly important when you’re talking volume. And second, I don’t worry about the potential of the chocolate having cooled off too much to risk throwing my chocolate out of temper.

I also like that I am in complete control of every aspect of the tempering process, from temperature, to amount of seed, to agitation. Yes, it is more work, but well tempered chocolate is as much about the look and feel of your chocolate as anything else. Every day is different, and as we all know chocolate behaves differently every day. One of my biggest complaints about my Rev2 is what it calls ‘tempered chocolate’ is not what I would call well tempered chocolate on many occasions. I like the control I get with the Mol d’Art. And the heating elements in the Mol d’Art are unbelievable. They respond on a dime, are incredibly even and react in very small increments.

I can also dip my chocolates directly into the unit without having to remove chocolate to a separate bowl. (I will remove chocolate if what I’m dipping is likely to leave ‘residue’ in my chocolate.) Again, this is time saving, but I also don’t have to be concerned about keeping a side bowl of chocolate in temper.

I can store my chocolate directly in the pan (unless it’s going to be for long periods of time), the Mol d’Art is completely silent (something I treasure, particularly after the incredible noise factor of the Rev2), and it’s very cost effective.

Just my $.02.

#53 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:59 AM

I also have a mol d'art, the 6 kg size. I don't often use it because I usually do much smaller batches than it holds. But at easter time for the 36 inch bunny you need a bit more chocolate than you can temper in a 8 cup pyrex.

It is a beautiful melter. As WTG noted it is perfectly quiet, heats up and cools down quickly and accurately.

The ability to dump the molds directly was why I bought this size rather than the 3 kg.

I did test out a great little soup kettle that the folks at my local restaurant supply told me that the company was making claims that it could hold low temperatures well. They brought me one in and I played with it for a couple of weeks. It held a single temperature beautifully once you adjusted the dial and marked it, however if you changed the temperature it cut out. So it turned out to be useless for tempering. If you just wanted to hold chocolate at a set low temp before tabling it though, it would be perfect at a cost of around $300 Cdn as I recall. After that I blew the extra bucks on the mol d'art.

Bought it from Qzina.

#54 choux

choux
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:16 AM

I just got my 6kg Mol d'Art this week and I am totally loving it. No more bain marie for me! One question I have though, why does the thermostat go down to 5* C? If I turn it there does it cool the chocolate? What is it for?

#55 WhiteTruffleGirl

WhiteTruffleGirl
  • participating member
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:45 AM

I just got my 6kg Mol d'Art this week and I am totally loving it. No more bain marie for me! One question I have though, why does the thermostat go down to 5* C? If I turn it there does it cool the chocolate? What is it for?

View Post

Good question choux. I've never really turned the unit below working temperature.

#56 stscam

stscam
  • participating member
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

How much do the Mol d'Art machines cost? I found a 50kg on their website, but no mention of a small melter/temperer with a wheel. What's the best source for them?

Or are we all talking about the melting pans? Now I'm confused.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by stscam, 24 June 2006 - 08:51 AM.

Steve Smith
Glacier Country

#57 WhiteTruffleGirl

WhiteTruffleGirl
  • participating member
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:13 AM

How much do the Mol d'Art machines cost? I found a 50kg on their website, but no mention of a small melter/temperer with a wheel. What's the best source for them?

Or are we all talking about the melting pans? Now I'm confused.

Cheers,

Steve

View Post

Steve,

The 6kg units (along with the 3, 12 and 24kg units) are not 'tempering' units with a wheel. They are melters where you hand seed and hand agitate your chocolate in order to temper it. This means that you must continue to agitate your chocolate and adjust the temperature as you work to keep it in temper, so it is a bit more work than a tempering unit with a wheel. For those that like the Mol d'Art, this is no big deal. You're working anyway, so stirring your chocolate is something you're naturally going to do.

They cost about $675 and you can purchase them from Qzina or from Technobake for about the same price (although S/H may be different...I don't know). I bought my 6kg unit from Qzina and happened to luck into a deal. They had a "used" unit (used once) so I got a $100 discount.

#58 tmgrobyn

tmgrobyn
  • participating member
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:54 PM

I have the ACMC machine and have used it for five seasons now. I like it, it's simple to use and as long as you pay attention to your volume used and keep it loaded it can run all day keeping chocolate tempered and dipping whatever you need.

I use a blend of Peter's Newport (10 lbers) and Scharffenberger (1 oz).
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

#59 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:53 AM

I have been looking at the Moldart metling units, the 6 kn seams the best option, I like the fact that is rectangular shaped so I can turn my molds in it .
I have seen them in different sites and ebay , wich has the lowest price,any suggestions?

Thank you
Vanessa

#60 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:41 AM

Vanessa,

I bought mine from Qzina, can't recall right now what I paid, but there was no shipping cost attached because I picked it up. It would be worth checking their price.

I have been looking at the Moldart metling units, the 6 kn  seams the best option, I like the fact that is rectangular shaped so I can turn my molds in it .
I have seen them in different sites and ebay , wich has the lowest price,any suggestions?

Thank you

View Post

Edited by Kerry Beal, 19 July 2006 - 10:41 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate