Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Once A Critic, Always a Critic?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 oakapple

oakapple
  • participating member
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:41 AM

Ruth, I know that you haven't been a restaurant reviewer in quite a few years, but you did spend a considerable part of your career as a critic.

When you eat out, do you still find yourself sub-consciously writing an imaginary review, thinking about how you would rate the restaurant if it were still your job to do so?

Or, is reviewing totally out of your system, and you simply dine as a regular patron?

#2 Ruth Reichl

Ruth Reichl
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:47 PM

Ruth, I know that you haven't been a restaurant reviewer in quite a few years, but you did spend a considerable part of your career as a critic.

When you eat out, do you still find yourself sub-consciously writing an imaginary review, thinking about how you would rate the restaurant if it were still your job to do so?

Or, is reviewing totally out of your system, and you simply dine as a regular patron?

View Post

Imaginary reviews? Not me. I'm really thrilled just to go out and eat and enjoy the experience. I'm not really a natural critic - I like food too much for that, enjoy the theater of dining and tend to pretty much take things as they come. It was always an act of will to stop myself from just getting into the meal, sitting back and having a good time. Some people spend their lives rating things, trying to decide if this is the third best or fourth best version of whatever is before them. I don't do that without effort, so now I am completely happy to just go out with my friends and have dinner.