Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dishes not in the second edition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikeycook

mikeycook
  • participating member
  • 853 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:49 PM

Paula, congrats on an excellent new edition. Those of us who are devoted to the original are thrilled with the recipe updates (particularly the use of Moulard ducks) and additions, as well as the excellent list of sources in the back (I have already ordered from several of them).

For those who do not have the original, is there a list anywhere of the names of the dishes that were not included? While it makes sense to have removed many of them for the general audience, eGulleteers are a slightly different breed and might be interested in picking up an original edition as well.
"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."
~ Fernand Point

#2 Wolfert

Wolfert
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:49 PM

Paula, congrats on an excellent new edition.  Those of us who are devoted to the original are thrilled with the recipe updates (particularly the use of Moulard ducks) and additions, as well as the excellent list of sources in the back (I have already ordered from several of them).

For those who do not have the original, is there a list anywhere of the names of the dishes that were not included?  While it makes sense to have removed many of them for the general audience, eGulleteers are a slightly different breed and might be interested in picking up an original edition as well.

View Post

Thanks so much for your very kind words.

There isn't a list but I'm in the process of posting all the dropped recipes up on my website.
“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

#3 Steven Blaski

Steven Blaski
  • participating member
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:55 PM

Paula, congrats on an excellent new edition.  Those of us who are devoted to the original are thrilled with the recipe updates (particularly the use of Moulard ducks) and additions, as well as the excellent list of sources in the back (I have already ordered from several of them).

For those who do not have the original, is there a list anywhere of the names of the dishes that were not included?  While it makes sense to have removed many of them for the general audience, eGulleteers are a slightly different breed and might be interested in picking up an original edition as well.

View Post

Thanks so much for your very kind words.

There isn't a list but I'm in the process of posting all the dropped recipes up on my website.

View Post

Well, Paula, here's another request (as if you didn't have anything else to do!): that you also post the recipes dropped from the revised "Mediterranean Cooking." I don't have the original book, and the few recipes you mention in the Introduction that were dropped sound delicious (if a long way from South Beach :smile: ).

#4 Wolfert

Wolfert
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:57 PM

Those dropped recipes will eventually surface on my website. Actually, there weren't all that many dropped, and quite a few were added.

As I recall, among those dropped was a recipe for polvorones, another for a chicken and pancetta tart, and a three-day pasta extravaganza I learned from a wealthy Roman.
“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.