Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Evening Garlic Soup in the Manner of the Correze

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:39 AM

I've made the Evening Garlic Soup once now, and even though I misread the directions and put in too much vinegar, it was still good. I plan to make it again, this time properly.

May I ask a question about the mechanics of a recipe? I think I'll learn some kitchen chemistry from the answer.

What purpose does the vinegar serve in this soup? I'd have assumed it was simply for seasoning, except for the way in which it's added. Why add it to the broken egg yolks, then add that mixture to the soup, instead of adding them in separately?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#2 Wolfert

Wolfert
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:29 PM

I believe the vinegar works like creme fraiche and makes the yolks creamier in texture. Also, the flavor is better with a little vinegar added to yolks.
“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.