Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pimento Dram

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#91 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

My first batch has now matured. I normally don't like liqueurs, much--at least not straight, as they're too sweet--but the heavy allspice and cinnamon kick of this is very nice. Now to choose a cocktail to showcase it.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#92 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

Two of my favorite cocktails with allspice dram are the Lion's Tail if you want something bourbon-based, and the Ancient Mariner if you are in the mood for something tiki.

#93 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

Started a batch this weekend. Right now it's just 8 oz each of W&N overproof and Appleton Estate 12 with a fat 1/4 c. of toasted, crushed allspice. I'm letting that go for a week. Not decided yet if I'm going to add any other supporting cast. If so, I'll add it next weekend.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#94 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Last weekend I added more allspice berries (the fat 1/4 cup I used at the beginning was all I had in the house at the time), a cinnamon stick, 5 black peppercorns and a piece of nutmeg, all toasted and lightly crushed. I'll strain, add syrup and bottle tomorrow... unless another week would be of benefit? I'm patient.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#95 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Finished, aged for 5 weeks and bottled (that's a clear glass bottle, it's just really full)...

allspice2.jpg

With nothing to compare it to, I have no idea how close it is to what it's supposed to be... but it's very smooth and very tasty.

#96 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

What are you going to use it in?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#97 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

What are you going to use it in?

Not sure yet. I just got my hands on a bottle of LH 151 so something tiki is likely but I'm open to suggestions outside of tiki-land. You mentioned in an earlier post that you went with less sugar in a batch and never looked back so I took that as good advice and did the same. I'm happy with the result.

#98 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I strongly recommend the Lion's Tail, which accounts for the bulk of all pimento dram consumption in my household. (Mostly because it's one of my husband's favourite drinks.)
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#99 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

I strongly recommend the Lion's Tail, which accounts for the bulk of all pimento dram consumption in my household. (Mostly because it's one of my husband's favourite drinks.)

Sounds good to me, this is where I'll start.

#100 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 966 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Wow, you are right. The Lion's Tail is very nice indeed. I used 1/4 oz each St. Elizabeth's and Becherovka. The trick is to be sure that the Allspice Dram doesn't overpower the bourbon.
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#101 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Agreed. In Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails, he calls for something like 3/4 oz. allspice dram and 1 tsp. simple syrup... I prefer to reverse those proportions with St. Elizabeth.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#102 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

my homemade pimento dram was apparently not powerful enough for the KC lion's tail recipe, so I think 3/4 next time will do it

#103 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 966 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

Has anyone tried rye in a Lion's Tale? I originally thought that the drink was about a play between the warmth of the bourbon and the warmth of the spices. But maybe it should be a contrast, playing spice against warmth. With a large amount of rye, I think this begs for a sipping-quality rye. Also, I'd love to hear from anyone else trying Becherovka. I thought it was wonderful (pat, pat, pat).

#104 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 966 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Just tried a rye Lion's Tail. All personal preferences being equal, bourbon works better. A rye fan should feel free to substitute with confidence, though.

#105 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

A Lion's Tail prepared for my husband last night. It's still a favorite. Spicy and a litle tart, a great drink. I use the recipe that was published in Ted Haigh's Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails (revised edition). We like it with the full amount (1/2 oz) of allspice dram.

Posted Image

#106 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 643 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

A question for those more experienced than I. 

I'm making my first batch of allspice dram this weekend, and the flavor profile I'm going for is heavily inspired by Bittercube's Jamaican #1 bitters: big allspice up front, with a bright bite from ginger and a nice drying finish from black pepper. That is, I want the black pepper to be strong enough to be a distinct component of the overall flavor, but I don't want it to overwhelm the more conventional spices. 

I notice the recipes in this thread don't call for more than six black peppercorns, but I assume others don't want as heavy of a pepper presence as I do. How much black peppercorn can I use before it starts hogging the spotlight? If I'm using half a cup of ground allspice, can I get away with an eighth cup, or even a quarter, of pepper?

I'm going to be using Kevin Liu's method for almost-instant allspice liqueur (everything but the sugar and water in a blender on low for five minutes), and I'll probably use Wray & Nephew White Overproof, maybe with some Gosling's thrown in. 

Thanks,

r.

Edited by Rafa, 08 March 2013 - 01:18 PM.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#107 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 455 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

I'm going to be using Kevin Liu's method for almost-instant allspice liqueur (everything but the sugar and water in a blender on low for five minutes), and I'll probably use Wray & Nephew White Overproof, maybe with some Gosling's thrown in. 

Thanks,

r.

I can't comment on recipes, but that method is brilliant.

Has anyone tried rye in a Lion's Tale? I originally thought that the drink was about a play between the warmth of the bourbon and the warmth of the spices. But maybe it should be a contrast, playing spice against warmth. With a large amount of rye, I think this begs for a sipping-quality rye. Also, I'd love to hear from anyone else trying Becherovka. I thought it was wonderful (pat, pat, pat).

I don't have either in stock yet, but I may give it a try with some Swedish Punsch Liqueur when both it and St Elizabeth come in.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#108 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

Just saw this at the store. So they switched to a clear bottle from a dark one, but the product inside also looks quite a bit lighter. Reformulation?

8709723964_1a2ae1b710_z.jpg