Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

New Generation Gins

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#91 eje

eje
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

I just tried a couple Aviations with the Aviation Gin and have to say that I'm not that impressed. I tried a few different recipes with and without creme de violette but none struck me as being any better than other gins I've used. I'll stick to the Miller's Westbourne Strength for my Aviations (since I can't get the Plymouth Navy Strength here in the US).

View Post

I gotta admit I find it a little odd that they named what they are calling a "Genever-style" gin after the Aviation cocktail. I don't think anybody advises using Genever in the Aviation. Actually, it's a bit odd that they would launch a "Genever-Style" gin as their first gin, period. It's true, Genevers can be hard to find in the US; but, they are called for in few cocktails. I can find 11 in the cocktaildb and Chas Baker calls for it in the Hemingway attributed "Death in the Gulf Stream".

Personally, I think it would be nicer to have a well made modern example of an Old Tom gin.

donbert, have you had other Genever gins? Do you think the Aviation Gin compares to them?

Anyone know if they are using any malt wine in their distillate?

Oh, and Aviations aside, I thought the Aviation Gin made a pretty interesting Improved Holland Gin Cock-tail.
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#92 gethin

gethin
  • participating member
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:22 PM

Personally, I think it would be nicer to have a well made modern example of an Old Tom gin.

View Post

There was a reference in todays Observer to a Martinez they serve at the Dorchester (Hotel) in London - apparently using an Old Tom style gin they have distilled specially for them .

Any one tried this gin ?

Gethin

Edited by gethin, 19 November 2006 - 02:23 PM.

#93 tkd7

tkd7
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:36 PM

Interesting article about Bluecoat Gin in the local paper a few weeks back:

Bluecoat Aims for the Top Shelf

View Post

Has anyone tried Bluecoat yet? I will be in Philadelphia in a couple of weeks and any ideas on where to pick up a bottle will be greatly appreciated.

#94 CherieV

CherieV
  • participating member
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

Interesting article about Bluecoat Gin in the local paper a few weeks back:

Bluecoat Aims for the Top Shelf

View Post

Has anyone tried Bluecoat yet? I will be in Philadelphia in a couple of weeks and any ideas on where to pick up a bottle will be greatly appreciated.

View Post

The State Stores carry it now. Many bars and restaurants in the city also have it now too. Distribution has been going well for the brand.
CherieV
Eat well, drink better!

#95 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:43 AM

I was surprised to see Bluecoat behind a bar here in California!

Haven't seen it in liquor stores, so I suspect it might have been a suitcase import.

If it is still there when I get back, I'll have to ask for a martini.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#96 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:38 PM

According to the Bluecoat Website, the gin is only available in PA and NJ for now. However, the website might be a little behind the curve.

I suspect you're probably right about the San Francisco bottle though. A "suitcase" import, indeed. :biggrin:

Try a Bluecoat Aviation! I bet that would be really good with the citrus-ey character of the gin. I made up a drink with Bluecoat that was a tall gin-kir variant. Bluecoat, creme de cassis and soda with a big lemon twist. Also refreshing, but more of a summer beverage.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#97 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

Nice gin article from Gary Regan in today's San Francisco Chronicle:

Is Gin the New Vodka?

Includes tasting notes for several new generation gins including some I hadn't heard of before. G'Vine sounds particularly intruiging, distilled from grape based neutral spirits and flavored with green grape flowers.

I don't remember what brand of gin was in my very first cocktail, but I do know that it was highly perfumed, and it fell into what I now call the "slap me upside the head with juniper and dab a little behind your ears" category. Think Tanqueray. Think Beefeater. Think Boodles. Think Plymouth. Traditional gins all, these stalwarts are as dry as a bone, and in varying degrees they're all about juniper and perfume. Not all gins follow this path, though, and some of the new bottlings on the market come bearing rather unusual flavor profiles.

---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#98 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:21 AM

they have Tanqueray Rangpur at the London Bar in NY. I'll check it out.

#99 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,116 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:45 AM

Gin was my very first distilled spirit. I sampled it in a room-temperature gimlet -- gin and Rose's Lime Juice -- at a party thrown by my parents. Dad made it for me. Why room temperature? This was in England, circa 1963. I was 12 years old. Dad thought it was time to wean me off the Guinness. [Italics mine.]

THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the many things that are so cool about Gary.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#100 Busboy

Busboy
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:02 AM

Has anybody out west tried 209?
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government.

#101 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,116 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:21 AM

I reported on an initial tasting back upthread and wasn't impressed. Too much citrus, I thought, to the extent that it seemed a little artificial. Of course, it might be different in a drink.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#102 JerseyRED

JerseyRED
  • participating member
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:24 PM

Received my first issue of Imbibe and there is also a small taste-test article on artisanal gins within the Jan/Feb 2007 issue (aside from Paul Clarke's write up on rye).

Rich
"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."
Will Sinclair

#103 jmfangio

jmfangio
  • participating member
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:09 PM

View Post

I love it - I think it makes a great martini, and the botanical profile works really well in a Last Word.
"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

#104 Gary Regan

Gary Regan
  • participating member
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:23 PM

Proud to say that I was at the Plymouth distillery last year, and I actually made a batch of gin in their lab. My first attempt ever at this and the gin that I made was . . . absolutely disastrous! God Bless Distillers.

I just wrote a gin piece for SF Chronicle. You can see it here:

http://www.sfgate.co...&sn=001&sc=1000
“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.

#105 slobhan

slobhan
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

I have to say that I re-kindled my interest in gin after a recent blind tasting. I love the freshness that citris & juniper deliver....

I beamed with pride when Bluecoat was so good and from Philly (my birthplace), I hope they get some broader distribution soon!

Do the FAA rules allow checking it? I'm going home for Super Bowl weekend (with no Birds in the game).
my motto: taste, savor, share
circulation manager, imbibe magazine
celebrate the world in a glass

#106 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

slobhan:

Not sure about checking a bottle of spirits on a plane. Heaven knows what that might look like going through the x-ray machine! :blink:

I'd suggest bubble wrap, lots of foam peanuts and a plain brown box getting shipped to your destination of choice. It works. Don't ask me how I know this...

The Bluecoat is damned good and I'm certain you'll love it. You should be able to find it in any number of bars here in Philly when you're in town. PM me if you need any suggestions.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#107 slobhan

slobhan
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:36 PM

slobhan:
The Bluecoat is damned good and I'm certain you'll love it.

View Post

Thanks, Katie, for the strategy about air travel. I re-read my message and it sounded like I haven't tried Bluecoat. I have been lucky enough to try it, once. The not-so-widespread blue bottle got an honoroable mention in the gin tasting in our current issue.
my motto: taste, savor, share
circulation manager, imbibe magazine
celebrate the world in a glass

#108 BTR

BTR
  • participating member
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

I've put spirits, and wine, in both checked and carried-on baggage (the latter before the liquid ban in the US), with no problems. Just make sure it's packaged in such a way that it won't break in transit.

#109 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

slobhan:

View Post

Thanks, Katie, for the strategy about air travel. I re-read my message and it sounded like I haven't tried Bluecoat. I have been lucky enough to try it, once. The not-so-widespread blue bottle got an honoroable mention in the gin tasting in our current issue.

View Post

Cool. Not surprised it did so well in competition. I find it quite delicious and well balanced. I confess I'm not a lover of the juniper "piney-ness" in many gins, but love the citrus-forward flavor of the Bluecoat quite a bit.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#110 tkd7

tkd7
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:42 PM

slobhan:

View Post

View Post

Cool. Not surprised it did so well in competition. I find it quite delicious and well balanced. I confess I'm not a lover of the juniper "piney-ness" in many gins, but love the citrus-forward flavor of the Bluecoat quite a bit.

View Post

I bought my first bottle of Bluecoat and I really liked it. I was in Philadelphia last Saturday for much shorter than planned but I stopped into the liquor store on Chestnut and bought two bottles. I made a martini last night and it really stood apart from gins like Ten and Hendrick's. I'm not a big citrus gin fan but the Bluecoat still had enough dry hints to make for a tasty martini. I'm looking forward to mixing it in other cocktails.

#111 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:31 PM

I have an idea for a Bluecoat-based cocktail, but I need to get my hands on a bottle of those Fee Lemon Bitters.

I'm going to call my local Fee Bros. connection tomorrow and see if they have the Lemon Bitters. Failing that, I'll call Fee Bros. directly and see if there are other local retailers I don't know about, or see if they have small samples for bar/restaurants that might be shipped.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#112 eas

eas
  • participating member
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:10 AM

Have any of you tried the "Blue Gin" produced by Hans Reisetbauer? It's uncertain whether it will be imported into the US, though a few bottles made it here for an event in San Francisco last month. By my palate it's exceptionally dry and clean. And if you're going out of your way to find a Reisetbauer bottle, also check out his Carrot eau-de-vie.

#113 Bricktop

Bricktop
  • participating member
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:18 PM

My quest for Bluecoat ended today. :biggrin: One sip had me thinking I wanted my bottle of maraschino and a lemon. Good stuff.

#114 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:56 PM

Just picked up a small bottle of Tanqueray's Rangpur, but I'm unsure what to do with it. I tend to prefer the juniper-heavy gins, but I wanted to give this a try. Has anyone had any great successes mixing this gin, or tried any good drinks with it?

#115 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:08 PM

I saw Rangpur a week or two ago and wondered what exactly it was. Odd that Tanqueray would make another light juniper gin even with No. 10. If that's what it's like though, I'm partial to DrinkBoy's Bloomsbury. It's a tiny bit on the sweet side, but not so much to make it unsuitable for before dinner. The original recipe calls for Tanqueray 10, but I have had success with other lightly junipered gins like Bombay Sapphire and such.

Shame Tanqueray didn't see fit to bring back Malacca instead. Dr. Cocktail sez its the bomb diggity :-P

-Andy

Edited by thirtyoneknots, 27 February 2007 - 04:09 PM.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#116 phlox

phlox
  • participating member
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

I love love love Bluecoat! I like it over ice with a twist of lime. It's so smooth.
"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

#117 jmfangio

jmfangio
  • participating member
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:15 PM

The NY Times features a gin tasting this week. Pretty good article, though I disagree with their sentiments on No. 209 gin, which I think makes a fabulous martini.
"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

#118 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,116 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:10 AM

Great article! And great to see that they actually tasted a spirit intended for chilling and mixing, well... chilled and mixed. I'll have more to say on this once I have a few more minutes, but there's one thing that puzzles me. The author makes a point of mentioning the higher proof gins, noting that Old Raj comes in at 110 proof and then saying that "Tanqueray and Tanqueray No. 10 at 94.6 proof were the next highest." Except he forgot Junípero, which is 98.6 proof. This must be an error in his notes, because the ratings section has it at only 86 proof.

I was happy to see Plymouth and Junípero rated so highly, although I was surprised that Tanqueray wasn't more appealing. I was also quite surprised to see Old Raj rating so highly. I may have to try that one again.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#119 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

Great article!  And great to see that they actually tasted a spirit intended for chilling and mixing, well... chilled and mixed.  I'll have more to say on this once I have a few more minutes, but there's one thing that puzzles me.  The author makes a point of mentioning the higher proof gins, noting that Old Raj comes in at 110 proof and then saying that "Tanqueray and Tanqueray No. 10 at 94.6 proof were the next highest."  Except he forgot Junípero, which is 98.6 proof.  This must be an error in his notes, because the ratings section has it at only 86 proof.

I was happy to see Plymouth and Junípero rated so highly, although I was surprised that Tanqueray wasn't more appealing.  I was also quite surprised to see Old Raj rating so highly.  I may have to try that one again.

View Post

yup. it was nicely done. they could have discussed the olive controversy and why "dirty" is bad...but that's nitpicking.

I completely agree with their sentiments on Junipero (which I rate more highly than Plymouth for martinis -- Plymouth is my general cocktail gin though)...and Old Raj. The thing about OR is that it's really only suitable for martinis..or even sipping neat (very chilled). It's flavor profile just wouldn't work in most gin cocktails....its very hard to balance with. But it's a great gin to contemplate...carefully....it comes on like a truck.

#120 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:58 AM

The only ones which seem a little out of place in the top 10 are Seagram's and Bombay Sapphire. I'll admit, though, that I haven't tried either of them for a few years.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA