Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

New Generation Gins

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#361 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Bombay Dry is a pretty typical London dry gin. If you recall not liking gin in times past, the chances are high that the gin you had was also London dry - that's all that was available in the US for most of living memory until the most recent cocktail renaissance.

#362 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

I don't find Bombay vile or anything.  I'd say it is OK.  I don't mind the pine oil at all.  Just that compared to the Malacca the Bombay is a bit rough.

If folks could help me find recipes to use up the Bombay, I would appreciate it.

#363 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

Pretty much any recipe calling for London dry should do

#364 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Have any of you tried the G'Vine Nouaison? I love gin to begin with, in all its variety, but this stuff is fantastic, in my opinion. As usual for me the descriptions note laundry lists of botanicals that my palate can't effectively discern, but the overall effect was remarkable both straight and in a martini (5:1 Noilly Prat, no bitters). 

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#365 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:54 AM

Jo, the Bombay Gins have the dry as well as the Sapphire. I tend to prefer the non-dry sapphire as it tends to have a slightly longer finish.

Chris, the Nouaison is more dry than the floral Floraison that we've talked about above. It uses: nutmeg, cubeb berries, ginger roots, liquorice, lime, juniper berries, coriander, cassia bark and green grape flower and from reading reviews probably has more juniper forward than the floraison. It would be good to compare the two to see what the differences are.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#366 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

Think we can find some grape blossoms to try to copy this?

#367 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Jo, the Bombay Gins have the dry as well as the Sapphire. I tend to prefer the non-dry sapphire as it tends to have a slightly longer finish.

The reason I bought Bombay Dry rather than Bombay Sapphire is that I thought, rightly or wrongly, Sapphire would be closer to Malacca (which I really like) and I wanted to try a different style of gin.

#368 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Neither are anything like Malacca.  Try Hayman's Old Tom

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#369 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

We may be misunderstanding each other.  I like Malacca very much but was looking for a different style of gin to try.  Spliflicator, as I recall, says Old Tom is similar to Malacca.

#370 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

Misread you;  sorry.

I prefer Dry to Sapphire, for what it's worth, but like Sapphire just fine at the 47% you lot get it at.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex