Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

New Generation Gins

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#331 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

Does anyone have any advice on a somewhat floral, lightly flavored, easy on the juniper gin? I tried making a Bee's Knees variant with Beefeater and sweet lemons (citrus limetta), and the gin just overpowered the juice - which is very delicate, totally unlike lemon juice. To get the flavor the sweet lemon juice to be expressed in the cocktail, I had to use a generous 3/4 oz of it, to a scant 1.5 oz of gin, and even then it wasn't as harmonious as I'd like.

Perhaps Bombay Sapphire? Or is there something even lighter?

One possibility is New Amsterdam which is very low on juniper and very citrusy, but not really floral.  It's almost closer to a lemon vodka than a gin, but it might work in your drink.  I might also suggest Bombay Sapphire East which adds lemongrass and peppercorns to the ten botanicals of the Bombay Sapphire.  Magellan is somewhat floral (being flavored with iris pedals), but I don't know if you'd call it "lightly flavored."  Quintessential might work, too.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#332 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Gah, if only there were sample-sized bottlings of these...

#333 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Gah, if only there were sample-sized bottlings of these...

Heh, yeah, I know what you mean. I live in Pennsylvania which has a crap selection of miniatures.
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#334 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

I mean I think even in the best-stocked areas, boutique distilleries don't bottle minis.

#335 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

God help me if every new gin introduction out there starts selling minis -- I'd have to try them all, and my liver would go up in flames.

A year or so ago there was a lot of hype about the reintroduction of Tanqueray Malacca, it was "the gin to mix with."  The fact that the only place I see it is on the shelf at Astor Spirits suggests you can't always trust the hype, but it hits the profile of, "tastes a little floral, less juniper."  Anyone tried it recently?

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#336 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 966 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Re Malacca. Unimpressed. I suppose you could use it in a Martini if you like it's profile, but it gets lots easily in a cocktail.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#337 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

See this thread about Malacca.

I tried it and it is pretty nice, but I haven't felt compelled to run and buy a bottle.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 09 April 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#338 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

I've been having Malacca in Perfect Martinis (50ml/10ml/10ml) a bit lately at my favourite bar and greatly enjoying it.  But yes, I can see it getting lost in anything more complex.  Nice stuff in a gin-dominant drink, though.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#339 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

There are too many threads on gin.  What would be a good gin suggestion for someone who does not like gin?  To the best of my remembrance I have not tried gin for fifty years, and I know tastes can change with time.

I have a liter of Malacca on order.  Let's assume cost is no object, but of course it is.

#340 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

What didn't you like about gin? And what spirits do you like? Gin is diverse enough a category that the answers to those questions are critical.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#341 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:27 AM

There are too many threads on gin.  What would be a good gin suggestion for someone who does not like gin?  To the best of my remembrance I have not tried gin for fifty years, and I know tastes can change with time.

I have a liter of Malacca on order.  Let's assume cost is no object, but of course it is.

Everyone likes gin.  Some people just don't know it yet.

I would recommend starting with something not too in-your-face juniper.  I would start with Beefeater over Tanqueray. Bombay Sapphire may be an ok entry.  and then try several cocktails in different categories before you decide if you like it or not.  I would suggest a French 75, Tom Colins, Negroni, Gin gin mule. Then splurge on a lime and good tonic for a gin and tonic - sipping it outside as a sundowner.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#342 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:48 AM

Well, I like rum, preferably lots of rum.  I like rye, cognac, slivovitz, tequila, and absinthe.  I'm OK with bourbon, and I don't dislike vodka but it does not do much for me.  I do not care for Scotch, Irish, or Canadian.

What I didn't like about gin was probably the juniper, citrus, or the alcohol.

#343 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:55 AM

Then splurge on a lime and good tonic for a gin and tonic - sipping it outside as a sundowner.

Thanks, but nope, I hate the taste of quinine.  It is a medical necessity and the only thing worse than quinine is no quinine.

#344 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:18 AM

Why post in a gin thread if you don't like it? Can't see the sense myself.

• Rafa likes this

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#345 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

Thanks, but nope, I hate the taste of quinine.  It is a medical necessity and the only thing worse than quinine is no quinine.

Thus, the gin.  :raz:

• Plantes Vertes likes this
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#346 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 966 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:42 AM

Personally I'd go to a good bar and try some juniper-backward (??) gins. If you like floral flavors, Hendrick's might be a good place to start. Or Plymouth. A fresh Gimlet might be a simple cocktail where the gin would be present but balance with sweet/sour and citrus. Personally I don't care for an authentic gimlet with Rose's lime cordial. If you're brave, you might try a flight of gins neat to sample them side-by-side.

I applaud the experimentation with flavors that you used to dislike. Acquiring new tastes is a pleasure of maturity.

• Rafa and Plantes Vertes like this

#347 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

Why post in a gin thread if you don't like it? Can't see the sense myself.

Should I have asked about gin in the mai tai thread?  A gin thread seemed a reasonable place to inquire about gin.  I've never tried gin as an adult that I can recall.  I am quite fond of asparagus but I never liked it till I was over twenty one.

• Plantes Vertes likes this

#348 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 698 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

Should I have asked about gin in the mai tai thread?  A gin thread seemed a reasonable place to inquire about gin.  I've never tried gin as an adult that I can recall.  I am quite fond of asparagus but I never liked it till I was over twenty one.

Maybe try a nice genever that is not very juniper forward or has a bit of age to mellow the juniper a bit.

I don't think of Ransom Old Tom gin as particularly juniper forward.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#349 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

Good point. Do you have access to a well stocked bar where you could try a couple out rather than buying a bottle of something you mightn't like? Given what you said you like and didn't in spirits your taste preferences seem to be the opposite of mine. I don't particularly like Hendricks gin which is infused with rose and cucumber so that may be a possibility. You could also try chewing on a dried juniper berry; you will know quickly if the taste is for you or not. If it isn't perhaps gin may be a drink you will not like as although we talk about juniper being more or less forward, it is still a central component of the flavour elements in gin.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#350 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

Bloom gin is (obviously) floral rather than juniperry or citrussy, with honeysuckle, chamomile and pomelo as the botanicals, and it has distribution in Canada through Good Spirits.

Spirit of Hven from Sweden has flavours of licorice, vanilla and spices with low juniper - not sure if that's available where you are, JNW.

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 22 April 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#351 cdh

cdh
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

What is it that you recall disliking about gin?  Is it bitterness? a particular flavor?

American market gins aren't something to drink straight, so you need to pick your cocktail, and then figure out the gin to try in it. 

I'm a fan of the Pegu Club family of drinks...  gin, something sweet fruity and syrupy, some bitters and some citrus juice.  I find that something with as muted a flavor profile as Bombay  Sapphire doesn't work there... but a really christmas-tree-flavored gin like Beefeater plays very well.  Your mileage may vary, of course.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#352 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

I don't think of Ransom Old Tom gin as particularly juniper forward.

That's what I was thinking. I'm also quite partial to Leopold Bros., which is far from juniper-heavy.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#353 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

Some might think that Bombay Sapphire is over-hyped or over-rated, but it really is a delicious, low-juniper gin.  They were one of the first (if not the first) to come out with a gin like that, and IMHO they really did achieve something special.  It's got a wonderful mix of botanicals and a level of juniper that does not overwhelm a drinker who is not braced for an intense gin.  Plus it's got a higher ABV than their dry gin and even though the flavor is subtle, it is not weak.  It can easily be enjoyed straight (which I sometimes do).  Definitely not a G&T gin, though.

Mike

#354 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 966 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

Ransom's botanicals are challenging, at least to me. I like it, but it's not "easy."

#355 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

I acquired my first liter of Malacca tonight, and is my custom with any new spirit, I just had a glass.  Very nice!  Not at all what I was expecting based on my remembrance of gin past.  The Malacca is very smooth and low proof, even on an empty stomach.  The scent and taste are mildly floral.

If there is juniper in there it may take another glass or three to find it.

http://en.wikipedia...._-_Gin_Lane.jpg

#356 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

Welcome to the gin world, Jo.  I rather suspect Malacca is a slightly different beast to what Hogarth had in mind.

Malacca isn't available in shops here, but my favourite bar has a bottle they got from a customer back from a trip.  To my taste it's a very gentle gin; the drinks I've been enjoying it in are Perfect Martinis, which I recommend (try 50ml gin/10ml dry vermouth/10ml sweet vermouth), but I think it would also go rather nicely in a Gin Old Fashioned.

I suspect it wouldn't handle something assertive like a Negroni very well, but others who have done the experiment may disagree.  This is not to say you shouldn't try a Negroni - everybody should - but I'd use a gin with a bit more flavour.  Our local Lighthouse works nicely, but good luck finding that.  Bombay should be fine.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#357 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:07 PM

My computer was down for a couple terrifying hours.  I made what was supposed to have been an Allen:

http://forums.egulle...2007/?p=1255267

It turns out what I put together was rather different but still nice:

2 oz Malacca

3/4 oz Maraschino

3/4 oz lemon juice

I can't say I taste the gin, I can't say I taste the alcohol.  There is a however a pleasantly complex sweet almond note, and the drink is most refreshing.

If I can get my body out of bed in time before work I'll try to check the store for another style of gin.  I have to say though that I like the Malacca a lot, at least when I drink it neat.

Thanks for everybody's help!  This experiment has been a success.  (Wish I could say the same about the computer.)

#358 choux

choux
  • participating member
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Has anyone tried some of the barrel aged gins that are out there? I'm wondering what it adds to the gin, and how would you use it?

#359 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

Has anyone tried some of the barrel aged gins that are out there? I'm wondering what it adds to the gin, and how would you use it?

This should probably become a separate thread, because it's rapidly becoming a category of its own. 

I tried NY Distilling Co.'s Chief Gowanus neat and in a cocktail:  to me it's like a less in-your-face version of Anchor Steam's Genevieve.  My best recollection is that it's smooth, somewhat malty, spicy, but with less paint thinner elements. 

I heard good things about Smooth Ambler in general, and their Barrel Aged Gin in particular, and got a chance to try it and buy a bottle recently.  In the store, the bouquet was just awesome:  heady juniper and spice notes jumping out of the glass.  It's even closer to a whiskey in profile than the Chief Gowanus, both in the way the rye base came through, and the heavier oak flavors from the barrel. 

Neither has taken the place of my beloved Ransom Old Tom, which, even though it's technically a different animal, arguably helped jump start the whole aged gin movement.

Mixing with aged gins is something I find a bit tricky, since they don't fit easily with the standard London Dry pairings, but need tweaking to sub for brown spirits-based recipes.  I'd love to hear of any experiments done by others, and will probably continue conducting my own tonight.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#360 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

Perhaps not a new generation gin, but a new gin for me:  I brought home a bottle Bombay Dry to compare with my Malacca.  Having a glass of it earlier I did not find the Bombay as smooth as the Malacca.  With the Malacca I felt I could enjoy glass after glass, which I did not with the Bombay.  I could taste the pine notes though.  And I might have enjoyed the Bombay more if it were cold.

The funny thing is I had reason to bring out my Shop Vac earlier this evening, as mentioned in another spirits thread.  I use pine oil in my Shop Vac as an odorant and disinfectant.  Not cheap stuff, mind you, lovely real organic pine oil.  The Shop Vac smelled just like the Bombay Dry.