Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Hoagies, Cheesesteaks, Pork Italiano

Italian

• Please log in to reply
401 replies to this topic

#31 Mummer

Mummer
  • participating member
  • 475 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:22 AM

I sacrificed myself for the good of this board and revisited a couple of cheesesteak joints I'd posted about upthread. In addition to great eats, I wanted to update my phone photos with ones taken with my new Casio. (An Exilim EX-Z750.)

Posted Image

This is a Cheesesteak Italian from Dakota Pizza Company in Wynnewood, across the parking lot from Sang Kee Asian Bistro. You can have one during your wait for a table there. It is, indeed, broccoli rabe, with roasted peppers and sharp provolone. There were a few seeds on this roll. I don't think I had fried onions on the one upthread.

Posted Image

This is a "Charlie special" from George's food cart at 23rd and Chestnut. The tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and sweet peppers go onto the grill and steam into the meat above it. I bust George because he almost always uses American rather than provolone. (But it's my choice to order on his cell rather than watching to make sure.) In response to a question upthread, George did mind somebody's cart around 16th and Walnut for a brief period several years ago.

Since it was in my camera...

Posted Image

...yesterday, I ate this Suprimo from Primo's on Chestnut Street. Fresh mozz, prosciutto and roasted peppers. I liked the upthread Sulmona better as it has a symphony of flavors and this one screamed salt. (Not enough to keep me from finishing it, however.)
Charlie, the Main Line Mummer
We must eat; we should eat well.

#32 Diann

Diann
  • participating member
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:31 AM

...and the next day I open the car door and you can still smell the garlic and provolone scent clinging to the seats. MMMMM. I'll take that over a little pine tree hanging from my rearview mirror any day.

View Post

Diann,
I think you have something here...Roast Pork Italian air freshener. Instead of a little pine tree, you have it shaped like what else! Beats the pine tree. Beats the fresh-car leather scent. MARKETING GENIUS!!

View Post

Good to know MKTG101 is finally paying off. Joint venture, anybody? (You provide the capital, I'll provide the genius.)

Charlie, that Cheesesteak Italian looks good...I'll have to check out Dakota Pizza Co.

#33 philadining

philadining
  • participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:04 AM

...and the next day I open the car door and you can still smell the garlic and provolone scent clinging to the seats. MMMMM. I'll take that over a little pine tree hanging from my rearview mirror any day.

View Post

Diann,
I think you have something here...Roast Pork Italian air freshener. Instead of a little pine tree, you have it shaped like what else! Beats the pine tree. Beats the fresh-car leather scent. MARKETING GENIUS!!

View Post

I like the way you women think... but we don't need to stop there, for the high-end market, there's the SK-series: squash soup with lemon vapors, or the 5 bleu cheeses with lavender scent, although the receptacle for the boiling water might be hazardous in traffic. Maybe if there's just some way to fill my backseat with butterscotch foam, I'd be set.

But in the short term I think I'll just take the easy route, whenever I'm in south philly, or west philly or the RTM, I'll just get a fresh roast pork sandwich to hang from the rear-view mirror.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

#34 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:03 AM

Food scented car fresheners?

:blink:

OK - now I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you've all gone around the bend.

No more roast pork for any of you! It's devouring your brain cells!

:laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#35 hwilson41

hwilson41
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:20 PM

The first of Mummer's suburban sandwich spread.

A cheesesteak hoagie from Mama's Pizzeria on Belmont Avenue in Bala-Cynwyd.

Posted Image

There's a lot of meat, cheese and some hidden fried onions on that baby!  Best eaten there or only a few minutes away.  (Not minutes away in the Zaberer's sense.) :cool:

View Post

What comprises a "true" Philly cheesesteak has been hotly debated elsewhere in eG, but I would opine that the steak and cheese hoagie (or sub) above is what most of us non-Philly natives think of when someone mentions "steak and cheese". Is it a Philly cheesesteak? No. Is it a great sandwich? Damn tootin', baby :raz:.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

#36 lesfen

lesfen
  • participating member
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:38 PM

I gotta move. Those pictures are making me lightheaded... keep 'em coming.

#37 philadining

philadining
  • participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:54 PM

OK, mark the day on your calendar, you can tell your grandkids that you were there the day this great sandwich started its climb to fame. Soon to dominate the hoagie world, I'm sure of it. I give you:
Posted Image
The Chicken Larb Hoagie

OK, the name needs some work...

But really, it's delicious. I just took (cold) leftover Larb (or in this case "Laab" from Vientiane Cafe) and slapped it onto a hoagie roll with some extra lettuce. With the the herbs and the spiciness it's getting into Bahn Mi territory, but I haven't ever seen anything exactly like this for sale. It would probably be good with the Larb hot too... Try it!

philadining.com

#38 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:50 PM

Posted Image
I managed to resist a roast pork at Tommy DiNic's today (not that hard considering they were out of cheese at 1:15 p.m.) and got the brisket. Almost as good as my mother's!
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#39 mrbigjas

mrbigjas
  • participating member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:09 PM

that's really a fantastic sandwich. the more i have it, the more i like it. a little horseradish makes it perfect.

#40 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:56 PM

Sorry no picture, but since I fell off the roast pork wagon at Tommy DiNic's last week, I still haven't climbed back on. Today I tried the sausage sandwich with peppers and onions. Yum!

Robert's Market Report

#41 all-u-care-2

all-u-care-2
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:21 PM

You folks've mentioned Primo multiple-y in this thread, and I went rather messily out of my way in Bethlehem PA the other day to pop in on one of their newest locations, practically on top of the US22 expressway at Schoenersville Road (same exit as Westgate Mall)

(explanation: I do not drive, and the recent snowing + thawing made for an icky, gooey hike from the nearest bus stop...happily I have the right kind of shoes)

I wanted a Sicilian (sorry, no pix) - dry-cured capicola, Genoa salami, sharp provolone - but caught them at a time when the rolls hadn't been replenished, and had to take it as a wrap. Still, it was magnificent...the most solid sandwich I've seen in years! Hopefully the weather will stay dry until I get back there again...
BOB

#42 john b

john b
  • participating member
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

You folks've mentioned Primo multiple-y in this thread, and I went rather messily out of my way in Bethlehem PA the other day to pop in on one of their newest locations, practically on top of the US22 expressway at Schoenersville Road (same exit as Westgate Mall)

(explanation: I do not drive, and the recent snowing + thawing made for an icky, gooey hike from the nearest bus stop...happily I have the right kind of shoes)

I wanted a Sicilian (sorry, no pix) - dry-cured capicola, Genoa salami, sharp provolone - but caught them at a time when the rolls hadn't been replenished, and had to take it as a wrap.  Still, it was magnificent...the most solid sandwich I've seen in years!  Hopefully the weather will stay dry until I get back there again...

View Post

Coincidentally, I had the Silciian for the first time on Saturday. It'll now be amongst my regular Primo's rotation (espacially since they just opened a new Primo's in my town), which includes the Sharp Italiam, Soprano and Suprimo.
John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

#43 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:14 PM

Posted Image
At Rich's urging in RTM thread, finally got to Carmen's for a late lunch today. Couldn't resist the sopresetta sandwich special, with aged provolone and sweet peppers. A straightforward sandwich that let the trinity of stuffing shine. And very good bread. (Liscio's? I saw boxes from them and Amoroso beside the stand.) For a true taste test and comparison with others, I'll have to try the Italian hoagie next time.

Robert's Market Report

#44 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

Posted Image
At Rich's urging in RTM thread, finally got to Carmen's for a late lunch today. Couldn't resist the sopresetta sandwich special, with aged provolone and sweet peppers. A straightforward sandwich that let the trinity of stuffing shine. And very good bread. (Liscio's? I saw boxes from them and Amoroso beside the stand.) For a true taste test and comparison with others, I'll have to try the Italian hoagie next time.

View Post

Oh baby! That's a beauty, Bob! Posted Image
(That's :fainting and drooling: in case you were wondering)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#45 mrbigjas

mrbigjas
  • participating member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:31 PM

hey, we were at carmen's for a late lunch today too, but couldn't resist the special italian, even with the soppressata right there.

that's a good sandwich they make there. get the house roasted peppers on it, if you go.

#46 Fresser

Fresser
  • participating member
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

Food-scented car fresheners?

:blink:

OK - now I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you've all gone around the bend.

No more roast pork for any of you!  It's devouring your brain cells!

:laugh:

View Post

Funny you should mention, Katie...

"Does your car smell like cheese?"

Apparently automakers think this is a bad thing.

A poster in a Chevrolet service department posited the above-listed question, accompanied by a man with a pained-looking expression and a healthy chunk of Stilton. Apparently mold and other contaminants in a car's ventilation system can lead to a musty, cheesy scent inside the car. So carmakers recommend cleaning the ventilation system with a handy-dandy solution that they provide.

Now my own Fressermobile smells nothing like stinky cheese (or even Velveeta, for that matter) but I'm fastidious about keeping my car's interior immaculate. But maybe there's a market waiting to be tapped here. Miss your favorite Italian deli? Try hanging a provolone wedge from your review mirror and you'll think you're back on Arthur Avenue. Can't afford a trip to the Champs Elysees? Stash some Epoisses in your Renault's glovebox and you'll feel like Jacques Chirac as you motor down I-95.

In fact, given the choice between one of those cardboard pine trees and a gouda wheel, I'd pick the fromage to hang from my rearview mirror anytime.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

#47 moosnsqrl

moosnsqrl
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:25 PM

Funny you should mention, Katie...

"Does your car smell like cheese?"

Apparently automakers think this is a bad thing.

A poster in a Chevrolet service department posited the above-listed question, accompanied by a man with a pained-looking expression and a healthy chunk of Stilton.  Apparently mold and other contaminants in a car's ventilation system can lead to a musty, cheesy scent inside the car.  So carmakers recommend cleaning the ventilation system with a handy-dandy solution that they provide.

Funny, I had a strong cheese aroma in my car and I didn't think I would ever get rid of it! All of my efforts failed and it finally just dissipated. I love cheese, but...

edited to fix the quote

Edited by moosnsqrl, 15 January 2006 - 07:26 PM.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

#48 mod*betty

mod*betty
  • participating member
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:06 PM

thought this might be the best place for this link!

http://www.danburymi...asp?code=SPB-01

Imagine, you can stage your own Cheese Steak Wars right in the comfort of your own home!

Edited by mod*betty, 22 March 2006 - 10:48 AM.

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

#49 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:08 PM

Rich Pawlak and I happened upon this great cheesesteak while chasing down hot dogs at Johnny's Hot's on Delaware Avenue above Spring Garden. We wanted to talk hot dogs. John wanted to talk about the cheesesteak he added to his menu. We let him talk.

The beef for the steak is top round. Prime top round from hanging beef. From Wells Meats, just down the block. John slices it fresh each morning.

Posted Image

The roll is a torpedo roll. Nice crust. Points at the end. From a bakery in Jersey. John grills the beef like pieces of steak. Lays each one out on the grill a piece at a time. Real grilled beef, not steamed like a lot of places. It's been on the menu for almost a year. Now it's the second most popular sandwich. His hot sausage is number one.

Posted Image

I had a whiz with cause that's the pic I wanted. I'll be ordering my next with the grilled peppers he puts on his sausage sandwich.
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#50 Jeff L

Jeff L
  • participating member
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:36 PM

How does this steak stand up to the one at Grey Lodge? Also, does that torpedo roll get some time on the grill with the steak and onions? It doesn't look it from the picture.

#51 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

I'd have to do them side by side to be sure, but I'm leaning towards Johnny. Then again, it's nice to be holding a beer in my drinking hand.

The bread goes on the grill crust side down to give it some heat without toasting the insides.
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#52 Rich Pawlak

Rich Pawlak
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:22 AM

I'd have to do them side by side to be sure, but I'm leaning towards Johnny.  Then again, it's nice to be holding a beer in my drinking hand.

The bread goes on the grill crust side down to give it some heat without toasting the insides.

View Post

What Holly said.

But I think both steaks are very very close, and very very similar in quality and flavor, and quality of rolls. I''ve had both versions this week, and they are both superior steaks.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

#53 jmbrightman

jmbrightman
  • participating member
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:11 AM

I'd have to do them side by side to be sure, but I'm leaning towards Johnny.  Then again, it's nice to be holding a beer in my drinking hand.

View Post

What Holly said.

But I think both steaks are very very close, and very very similar in quality and flavor, and quality of rolls. I''ve had both versions this week, and they are both superior steaks.

View Post

I tried Johnny's today (wiz with)and found it a step below Steve's Prince of Steaks and Talk of the Town, my two favorite "flipped" steaks.The meat was a bit dry and chewy. The hot sausage I sampled was the superior sandwich, and I will return for that.

#54 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:03 PM

Steve's is still my easy-choice favorite. But Johnny's Hot Sausage does nicely when I can't muster the mettle to transverse the mysterious Northeast.
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#55 Jeff L

Jeff L
  • participating member
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

Steve's is still my easy-choice favorite.  But Johnny's Hot Sausage does nicely when I can't muster the mettle to transverse the mysterious Northeast.

View Post

I just don't get Steve's at all. Maybe it's because I like my cheesesteak meat chopped. I found it to be just an ok sandwich. Apparently, lot's of folks would disagree as they always seem to be crowded.

That said, I found the steak at Grey Lodge excellent and it wasn't chopped. Something about the texture and quality of the beef really got to me. I think they use ribeye there and that would surely explain the superior taste.

Edited by Jeff L, 29 March 2006 - 08:18 PM.

#56 Rich Pawlak

Rich Pawlak
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

Steve's is still my easy-choice favorite.  But Johnny's Hot Sausage does nicely when I can't muster the mettle to transverse the mysterious Northeast.

View Post

I just don't get Steve's at all. Maybe it's because I like my cheesesteak meat chopped. I found it to be just an ok sandwich. Apparently, lot's of folks would disagree as they always seem to be crowded.

That said, I found the steak at Grey Lodge excellent and it wasn't chopped. Something about the texture and quality of the beef really got to me. I think they use ribeye there and that would surely explain the superior taste.

View Post

The Grey Lodge uses "thick cut rib eye", according to their website.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

#57 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:50 PM

Lunch today, from George's Roast Pork in the Italian Market. I give you the BBQ Veal sandwich.

Posted Image

Admittedly not the best picture, and the sandwich had been wrapped for about 15 minutes at that point, so it wasn't as pretty as it was right then when it was made. But, it was raining and I wanted to bring it home to my warm dry house to eat it. Didn't make any difference in the taste. Aside from needing to have at it with a knife and fork after the first couple of bites, this was one very tasty sammie. I'd never had the BBQ veal before and I requested the roasted sweet peppers and very light onions on top. A little spicy, and juicy like a Roast Pork Italiano. I'll be ordering one of these again. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#58 philadining

philadining
  • participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:12 PM

Small Roast Pork Italian from John's Roast Pork:
Posted Image
Sharp Provelone, Garlicky Spinach, decent but ordinary Kaiser roll. I suspect the large sandwiches and all the steaks get the much better-looking seeded rolls. But even with this roll, it was an excellent sandwich: the pork was herby, juicy and tender, the cheese sharp enough to bite through, the greens largely a garlic carrier, but adding a nice flavor themselves. I know I'm going to get in trouble for saying this, but I sometimes prefer spinach to broccoli rabe, it sits in easier harmony with the other elements.

This is a great sandwich, and the steaks looked good too. Next time...

Edited by philadining, 11 April 2006 - 12:13 PM.

philadining.com

#59 Diann

Diann
  • participating member
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:05 PM

Small Roast Pork Italian from John's Roast Pork...

View Post

So how does it compare to Tony Luke's?

To put it in context... the boyfriend is in town this weekend because I finally have a day off (Good Friday) and he, of course, wants a roast pork Italian. We always hit up Tony Luke's, but since I'll be free on a day when John's is actually open...should we go there instead? Or should we do one sandwich at both places?

#60 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:15 PM

Go to Tommy Dinics in the Reading Terminal Market. If still hungry, give John's a try.
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Italian