Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Korean Home Cooking

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#31 Fengyi

Fengyi
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:44 AM

I just wanted to say a big thank you, Tokakris, for posting the picture of dakgalbi. It inspired me to make it today for Sunday lunch and it turned out super yummy!!
:biggrin:
A definite addition to the list of 'foods we like to eat'!

This thread also inspired me to make finally some yukhoe (something which I planned to do for a long while) and also to try my hand at making pa jon (which, to my surprise was easier than I had thought)!
Thanks to everyone for their great ideas and inspirational posts! :biggrin:
<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

#32 Joon

Joon
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:09 AM

Other meats are not used for dakgalbi because dak means chicken and galbi means ribs.

View Post

Thank you!
I knew that kalbi meant ribs but I always assumed it was just beef since those were the ones I was more familiar with. I didn't know that dak meant chicken but that helps a lot with my menu reading now! :laugh:
So can kalbi refer to any kind of bone?

View Post

Technically Galbi means the rib area, not necessarily the bone. (Galbi byuh would actually mean "rib bone".)

"Galbi" in this dish is used very loosely - I would guess that the term is used more as a reference to the marinading and cooking, to mean something more like "marinaded chicken BBQ" more than "Chicken Ribs"...

An excellent addition to dak galbi by the way would be some jjol myun noodles, which is how I remember most places in korea serving it. Any noodles you can find would make a good addition, even ramen.

Edited by Joon, 30 October 2005 - 10:18 AM.

#33 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:13 PM

An excellent addition to dak galbi by the way would be some jjol myun noodles, which is how I remember most places in korea serving it. Any noodles you can find would make a good addition, even ramen.

View Post

Are the noodles added to the pot during the cooking or served over them?
Would it still be eaten with rice if noodles are added?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#34 touaregsand

touaregsand
  • legacy participant
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:21 PM

I'm pretty sure that dak galbi is a dish invented by a restaurant that people started making at home.

I like it very much, but it was not one of my favorite things to order when eating out. There are restaurants that specialize in dak galbi. My brothers who both moved back to Korea to live as adults like I did, would know more about this because it's one of their favorite restaurant dishes.

I recall that chicken ribs that had been marinaded were cooked in a large circular pan in the middle of the table first or with the vegetables. I think the noodles were added to the pan after the chicken had been eaten. I don't remember excatly. I'm sure someone else here would know, if not I can ask my brothers.

#35 melonpan

melonpan
  • participating member
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:45 PM

I recall that chicken ribs that had been marinaded were cooked in a large circular pan in the middle of the table first or with the vegetables. I think the noodles were added to the pan after the chicken had been eaten. I don't remember excatly. I'm sure someone else here would know, if not I can ask my brothers.

i think there are at least two different types of dak kalbi. the first kind, much more common is marinated chicken cooked in a large circular pan with veggies and noodles.

the other, much rarer kind, is marinated (mostly in gochujang and gochuggaru) chicken cooked over charcoal (sutbul) and served with a side of rice and banchan...

thats what ive seen at least...
"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

#36 handmc

handmc
  • participating member
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:43 PM

If anyone is unfamiliar with the kochujang in stores here is a picture of the one I have

Posted Image

View Post

Oh hail altar of kochujang!!!

I can't keep this stuff around. Favorite breakfast, fried egg, kochujang, hot white rice. It starts my day with a kick!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------
One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

#37 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:27 AM

egg, kochujang is really good.

Lately for me though, I been trying right a soup called kong namul kuk. This is a soybean sprout soup. The base is clear should made from kelp and dried anchovies. My difficulting is getting a clear flavorful soup that doesn't over power too much.

Any thougths?

#38 Ktepi

Ktepi
  • participating member
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:58 AM

I know very little about Korean cooking (something I'm trying to change), but FatMan Seoul's entry on Choon Chun Jip's dak galbi is one of my favorite bits of food blog writing. I've tried making similar things, but with no access to sesame leaves or the chili paste he talks about, I'm sure what I end up with is only an approximate relation.

#39 Marco_Polo

Marco_Polo
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:04 PM

Lately for me though, I been trying right a soup called kong namul kuk.  This is a soybean sprout soup.  The base is clear should made from kelp and dried anchovies.  My difficulting is getting a clear flavorful soup that doesn't over power too much. 
Any thougths?

Hi Gary,
This deceptively simple, rather thin, but cleansing and satisfying soup is a regular accompaniment to Korean meals. Soy bean sprouts have so much more flavour and distinctive character than mung bean sprouts. For our kongguk, we keep things really simple and pure, with no anchovies or kelp. It could be what you're looking for (you could always add a little brown seaweed - miyok - to make the broth richer).

Kongguk - soy bean sprout soup

1/2 pound soy bean sprouts
2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed and finely chopped
1/2 inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
Salt
2 or 3 spring onions or scallions, shredded on the diagonol
Pinch of toasted sesame seeds
Pinch of coarsely ground red chili pepper or red chili pepper threads

Remove the hairlike roots from the soy bean sprouts and wash well. Steam for 5-10 minutes, then in the same pot, add the garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil, and a pinch of salt to taste. Add about 1 1/2 pints of water (900ml) and bring to the boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for a further 15 minutes. Garnish with the shredded spring onions, toasted sesame seeds and red pepper or red pepper threads.

recipe from Flavours of Korea

#40 chefzadi

chefzadi
  • participating member
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:05 PM

Korean Mother Sauces and Stocks
I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts
Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles
http://ecolecuisine.com

#41 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:15 PM

ChefZadi & Marco Polo, Thank you for the info.

ChefZadi,
On the Anchovy stock, I got the measurements fine off your website. Thanks. Any insight on the technique? Do you boil the Anchovies hard with the dashima or bring it just up to boil and basically let the dashima and anchovies soak?

Marco Polo,
Never had kongkuk without a stock based on anchovies. I got to try it just to see how it turns out. I'm just curious as to how a the soup will taste?

Soup

#42 melonpan

melonpan
  • participating member
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:58 AM

i found out today that "dak dori tang" has some etymology in japanese. ! the "dori" is from the japanese "tori". the dak is korean (spelled dark in korean) and the tang comes from the chinese for soup (native korean for soup is gook). ha. strange bird of a word. korean-japanese-chinese. who knows where the names comes from. dakdoritang. "chicken chicken soup". but its not a soup. this dish is spciy chicken and potatoes.

my husband ate this dish growing up. i think its fairly commonly made in homes, but my mom never made it (and because my father dislikes pork, we never ate samgyeopsal either! sad childhood). its a simple dish, made mostly with staples. i usually only have to buy the chicken and jalapenos. you can have one squeezed out in no time.

<b>melonpans dak doritang</b><blockquote><blockquote>into a medium sized pot combine:

3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sake
1/3 cup water
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp gochu ggaru (korean chile powder)
2 tsp sugar
5-6 cloves garlic pressed through a garlic press
2-3 halved jalapenos*

mix well. dont cook yet. add:

1 lb boneless chicken thigh (dark) meat, chopped into 1 inch chunks
2 medium potatoes, chopped into 1 inch cubes
1 onion, chopped

mix everything really well; then, over medium heat, cook for 20 minutes covered.

in the last 2 minutes, you can add some sliced scallions to taste.

spicy goodness!

<i>*you may seed or not (i dont) and you may omit them entirely if you want something milder</i></blockquote></blockquote>

#43 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:21 PM

this sounds great!
Do you think if I leave out jalapenos kids will be able to eat it? :sad: or should I decrease the chile powder as well.
My kids can all handle the heat of medium hot kimchi chige but only one can eat kimchi straight.

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#44 melonpan

melonpan
  • participating member
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:07 AM

Do you think if I leave out jalapenos kids will be able to eat it? :sad: or should I decrease the chile powder as well.

you can actually leave out the jalapenos. and it will be fine. a lot of the heat depends on the quality of your chile powder.

try making this without the jalapeno and a tbsp of the gochuggaru. it should be just fine. not very spicy though, which is what we are going for.

#45 tug

tug
  • participating member
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:40 AM

Posted Image

View Post

Oh hail altar of kochujang!!!

I can't keep this stuff around. Favorite breakfast, fried egg, kochujang, hot white rice. It starts my day with a kick!

View Post

I too eat this on everything possible. One question though, should it be refrigerated?
Peter: You're a spy
Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd
Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

#46 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:19 PM

Kochujang does not need to refriderate. I leave mine out covered tight in a cool dark place (i.e., my pantry). The top will get darker but don't worry about that.

#47 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:50 PM

Kochujang does not need to refriderate.  I leave mine out covered tight in a cool dark place (i.e., my pantry). The top will get darker but don't worry about that.

View Post

How long should you be able to keep it in the pantry?
I refirgerate mine, but it gets quite hard and becomes difficult to use....

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#48 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

I've kept mine in the pantry for over a year with no problems. The stuff I have currently is 6 months old (I put date on it when I open it).

#49 _john

_john
  • participating member
  • 564 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:30 AM

I refrigerate my kochujang. I haven't noticed any skin formation or hardening. I also refrigerate my gochuggaru, is that strange? At the small stand where I bought it the old lady brought a small bag out of a refrigerator and told me in Japanese and English that her special gochuggaru should be refrigerated.

#50 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:26 PM

Kochugaru seems to last longer in the fridge. I do the same but there really is no problem with the Kochujang. The stuff used to be (and currently still) kept on terraces long before refridgeration.

#51 melonpan

melonpan
  • participating member
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:46 AM

i keep mine in the fridge, but i dont think you have to...

#52 melonpan

melonpan
  • participating member
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:47 AM

i mean i keep my kochujang in the fridge. my gochuggaru, i keep in a plastic tub in the freezer with a spoon inside next to my coffee tub which also has a spoon.

#53 melonpan

melonpan
  • participating member
  • 753 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:39 PM

hi all,

i wanted to mention that chef zadi, who loves korean food so much, got a nice mention in the new york times yesterday in the article about algerian sweets!

nice job!

#54 ChryZ

ChryZ
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

I cooked Dwenjang Jjigae and took some pics in the process.

Dwenjang Jjigae is a tasty korean bean paste stew with meat and vegetables.
Being from Europe and having no korean roots, I'm not claiming authenticity.
I've read 3-5 recipes off the net and created my own version of the dish.

Comments, suggestions and feedback are most welcome.

Ingredients:

4 TBSP dwenjang paste (bean paste)
2 TBSP gochujang paste (chili paste)
1 TBSP honey
1 CUP dried shitake mushrooms
300 G frozen spinach (10.5 oz)
300 G minced meat (pork/beef) (10.5 oz)
6 X dried anchovies
3 X red chili
1 X zucchini
2 X white onion
1 X leek
5 X garlic clover

Posted Image

Posted Image

chop up the veggies:

Posted Image

brown the minced onion/meat:

Posted Image

remove the meat from the pot, now for the stock, fill the pot with 1 liter (4-5 cups)
water, add garlic, anchovies and shitake mushrooms, let boil for a couple of minutes

Posted Image

remove the spend anchovies and add the dwenjang/gochujang paste

Posted Image

give it a good stir and add the chopped veggies

Posted Image

when the veggies are done, then add the spinach ... it's almost done,
season to taste with honey, sake, salt and pepper

Posted Image

let simmer for a few more minutes, but don't over-cook the spinach

Posted Image

serve with a drizzle sesame oil, roasted sesame and some of the leeks' green

Posted Image
Christian Z. aka ChryZ
[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

#55 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:26 PM

That looks incredible! It is just the kind of food I was thinking about when I started this thread.
A question about the anchovies, I don't believe I have seen those before here in Japan, I wonder if it would be ok to substitute niboshi?

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#56 ChryZ

ChryZ
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:54 AM

That looks incredible! It is just the kind of food I was thinking about when I started this thread.
A question about the anchovies, I don't believe I have seen those before here in Japan, I wonder if it would be ok to substitute niboshi?

View Post

Yokatta! I was a bit worried, well I did cut a corner with the frozen spinach and the pic of the final dish turned out too dark. I prefer fresh spinach, but I had the frozen stuff in the freezer for ages ... and a stew is always good for "recycling". Hehe, talking of home cooking.

Regarding the anchovies, I'm not sure how strong the flavour of niboshi is. Anchovies are pretty strong and the stock for this dish should be pretty strong itself to stand a chance against the heavy flavour of the bean paste ... the whole dish is pretty pungent, but in a good and tasty way.
Christian Z. aka ChryZ
[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

#57 angeljolie

angeljolie
  • participating member
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:31 AM

I love Korean food, but haven't tried making any dish yet. I particularly love Japchae (or Chapchae) and Kimchichigae (Kimchi soup). I'd probably the recipes you have here.

Edited by angeljolie, 04 September 2006 - 03:31 AM.

Angel

#58 maryeats

maryeats
  • participating member
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:11 AM

View Post

That soup does look delicious! It is dark, but it looks savory! Yum.
She came, she saw. She ate, she blogged.
www.maryeats.com

#59 ZenKimchi

ZenKimchi
  • participating member
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

View Post

When we make Dwinjang Jjigae, we sometimes use the anchovies. We sometimes use dashi. The goal is to get a fishy broth.

It has become one of my most favorite sublime dishes in Korea. I call it the "stinky miso." The flavor depends on the Dwinjang you use. A few months ago, we discovered a restaurant that made a punch-you-in-the-stomach Dwinjang Jjigae. We raved about it so much that the owner gave us a bag of her own secret Dwinjang. We have been using it at home, and I still can't fully dissect what the owner did to make it taste so good. Eun Jeong thinks she mixed in some minced garlic and ground anchovies and let it sit a bit longer. A good Dwinjang Jjigae is supposed to smell and taste like a stinky cheese soup.

Which explains why Eun Jeong loves it when I make Welsh Rarebit.

Edited by ZenKimchi, 04 September 2006 - 05:59 PM.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

#60 Tae.Lee

Tae.Lee
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:34 AM

Posted Image

View Post

ha i just got the hot head flush mouth watering reaction just looking at this! :)