Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Foodblog: torakris/snowangel - When Pocky meets pad thai....

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
388 replies to this topic

#361 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:51 PM

One more question!  I have over 1/2 this pumpkin leftover and sitting on the kitchen counter.  What should I do with it?

View Post

I use pumpkin to make a sauce with sage, cream and sausage and I toss it with pasta (rigatoni usually) and lots of parm.

I would puree it and freeze it.

#362 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:21 PM

... last night after the kids went to bed my husband and I opened the durian....

I have the windows open, all the ceiling fans going and have sprayed febreeze everywhere.
When will the smell go away??

View Post

Friday.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

#363 srhcb

srhcb
  • legacy participant
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:06 PM

I always use part coarse ground semolina flour when making pasta.

It continues to absorb moisture while the dough rests, so it's a better texture for running through the machine.  It also gives the finished product a nice "bite".

Semolina is the milled endosperm of Duram wheat.  It's very high in protein (gluten) and makes a great thickener.  It can even be prepared as a hot cereal or cooked like polenta.

SB :wink:

View Post

I actually have some semolina in the house and was thinking of using it.

IF I ever do this again what is a good proportion?

View Post

Lots of recipes specify 100%. I generally use 1/3.

You want the coarse ground, sandy textured semolina, since I want it to absorb the moisture more slowly.

I'll often use 1/4 to 1/2 semolina for pizza crust or Italian bread dough too. Just remember it dry out some as it rises.

SB :raz:

#364 snowangel

snowangel
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:19 PM

OK, Kris, just a few minutes and you can take them to the video store.

I learned two things today. Flour is a friend. And, leftover smoked brisket has more uses than I knew.

OK. Back to the pasta. I tossed the first sheet I made. For the second, I cut the ball in half, so it was much more manageable. I was a little unclear on how many times a person normally does the fold and roll thing, and on how many different setting. But, I persevered. And, once I was done with the fold and roll thing, I realized that a very light dusting of flour on the bottom of the pasta kept it from sticking to the pasta maker as I ran it through, etc. Actually, this was Peter's suggestion as he dashed out the door for an inpromptu neighborhood football game (no doubt more exciting that watching mommy swear under her breath). I quit rolling at level 3, figuring I didn't want to push my luck, as as luck would have it, it was the perfect thickness (thinness) for the sauce I chose).

So, I rolled it all out without a single problem. Yes, flour is my friend. Peter and I chose to cut the pasta in wide, short strips.

Posted Image

Now, I had given some thought to sauce ahead of time (but had to get through the pasta first to know that's what we'd really have!), and looked over the new Mario book. But, I didn't really use a recipe from his book, just a few ideas. I had a couple of cans of those whole Italian tomatoes, I had garlic, and I had onions. I also had fresh thyme. I also have those roasted tomatoes. And, I have leftover brisket. I made a simple tomato sauce with both canned and a few roasted tomatoes, and whizzed it sort of chunky with my Braun immersion blender and added some whacked up brisket.

Viola!

Posted Image

I'm so proud of myself. Kris will attest to the fact that tonight is the one we were most worried about. The pasta was great, and the sauce perfect for the shape of the pasta I chose. Smoked brisket does go well both in a tomato sauce and with pasta. I made sure to leave quite a few of those crispy, extra smoky parts on the pieces.

Now, I'd have posted this earlier but I had to run to the drug store for a mess of stuff because Heidi has a nasty case of poison ivy all over her body.
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#365 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:22 PM

Susan, it looks great!!
I could really go for some smoked brisket....

I hope Heidi is ok. :unsure:

off to the video store.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#366 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:25 PM

I should add that I used the recipe from the new Mario book for the pasta, as well as his method (except that I kept forgetting how many times I'd folded and rolled!). The only change I made, per a post in the pasta cookoff topic, was to use 1/2 AP flour and 1/2 that "Duram Seminola flour for pasta" that I got at the coop.

I will definitely make pasta again, and this gave me the courage to try stuffed pasta sometime.

#367 fifi

fifi
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:30 PM

Ah . . . The old smoked-brisket-in-pasta-sauce trick. :wink: I recall doing that one time a few years ago when the weather was too hot for BBQ posole and we had this leftover brisket. As I recall, I did something very similar to what you did, Susan. (But, of course, I would never have gone so far as making my own pasta. :laugh: ) I had forgotten how good it was. Thanks for reminding me.
Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

#368 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:35 PM

(But, of course, I would never have gone so far as making my own pasta. :laugh: ) I had forgotten how good it was. Thanks for reminding me.

View Post

Yes, it was good. Making pasta was fun, especially once I figured out that Flour Is My Friend. It is more fun than Heidi's poison ivy and ripping moldy drywall out of the basement.

One of the thing about using leftover smoked meat is that I usually just try and use it pretty much straight up. Reheated on buns or in tortillas. This was more of an attempt to "incorporate it" more fully into something else. Reminds me that I should really smoke me some butts soon so I have leftovers for smoked pork pozole!

#369 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:45 PM

I forgot to show the picture of the prize my husband and I won at Hide's sport's day. We were on the team that came in 3rd place for the tug of war (out of 16 teams) :biggrin:

Posted Image

they are mini ketchup and mayo tubes for bentos...
along with a cap that can be attached to mayo or ketchup bottles for writing or decoration

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#370 chemprof

chemprof
  • participating member
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:49 PM

Hey-

I just wanted to chime in here that both of y'all are awesome, cook and blog fantastically, and have extraordinarily photogenic children.

Kristin- I've been to Japan twice, and sent students there and would love to go back if I could only get the Freeman Foundation to pay my way (with translator) yet again!

Susan- I've been to Minnesota (twin cities even!) and you remind me how much fun and multicultural it is (yay Asian markets and Vietnamese restaurants). Quite frankly, I would also like some of the weather down here in NC!

I'd also like to second Wendy's use of the pumpkin in a sage/cream/parm sauce. I've adapted a recipe by Rachel Ray (ducks!) that is similar and it's muy tasty!

take care,
Anne

#371 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:23 PM

I just realized that I haven't posted photos of Heidi and Diana!

If you want to see Heidi, scroll midway down this post or go here.

And, if you scroll down to the last four pictures in this post, you'll see me.

I can't seem to find a good picture of Diana!

#372 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:30 PM

I just realized that I haven't posted photos of Heidi and Diana!

If you want to see Heidi, scroll midway down this post or go here.

And, if you scroll down to the last four pictures in this post, you'll see me.

I can't seem to find a good picture of Diana!

View Post

I don't know why but I always had you pegged as a blonde.... :hmmm: :biggrin:

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#373 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:41 PM

The kids and I just finished the pasta leftovers for lunch...

....on paper plates

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#374 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:05 PM

For someone who does not regularly eat sweets, a repeat of breakfast!

Posted Image

#375 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:31 PM

Tonight, Kris and I are done, and you will welcome a new blogger tomorrow (even tho this will be open until mid-day tomorrow -- here in MN) to answer questions.

But, some reflections:

This has been wonderful.

I have tried many new recipes. I forget how often I rely on the old standbys, never mind that I have many cookbooks at my fingertips. Trying a mess of new recipes, every night, can be exhausting. I've never spent so much time cleaning up my kitchen counters. Never mind that Kris and I have dealt with rain; she with a kid's finger in peril, me with a flooded basment, and now a kid with a really bad case of poison ivy (thanks to an oatmeal bath and some bendryl, is sleeping soundly).

My kids don't want to see the camera for a few days!

And, only on eGullet would one get such great suggestions and great support.

#376 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:55 PM

You two have been real troopers. I salute you, or better yet, bow to you low, in Japanese style.

#377 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

Susan (or anyone who knows),
I have a question as too the pronunciation of durian. In Japanese they pronounce it DO-rian... what is the actual pronunciation.

the smell is slowly dissipating :hmmm:

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#378 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:06 PM

If you grow up with durian (your prononciation is good, just don't go too long on the OO!), the smell doesn't really bother you and the taste is good!

#379 mizducky

mizducky
  • participating member
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:11 PM

Neither child mishaps nor rain nor gloom of night stays these bloggers from
the swift completion of their appointed rounds! Bravo, you two!

#380 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:17 PM

The poison ivy patient has woken, had another oatmeal bath (the food processor does a wonderful job of pulverizing this stuff), another dose of benedryl and is sleeping with Paul. She will sleep with us tonight. But, as she was settling down again, we watched most of a repeat of No Reservations. She likes watching Tony's shows.

So, while her head laid on my tummy, I remembered my earlier blog, and one of the last things I wrote. Iambic Pentameter, in the form of a sonnet (sort of); English/Shakesperean. I'm not particularly proud of this one (I'm sure that when I go to bed, I'll think of a much more eloquent one), but it has been a hard week.

Two women, six children, and two husbands
Living in two very different lands
From some scary attempts to make pasta
to apples and chicken and kobocha
armed with cookbooks and recommendations
Kris and I shared some of our traditions
We learned fo eggs in packages of ten
And Susan wondering "brisket when done?"
We made some curries and ate some take out
In appreciation, Kris and I shout

Dear readers, thanks for support and advice
Through meals of Thai food and bacon and rice.

#381 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:21 PM

Susan (or anyone who knows),
I have a question as too the pronunciation of durian. In Japanese they pronounce it DO-rian... what is the actual pronunciation.

View Post

I can best approximate it as DOO-ree-ahn.

Duri=thorn

Durian=thorny fruit

Similarly, rambut=hair; rambutan=hairy fruit

The word is Malay.

I disagree that the smell doesn't bother people who grew up with it. Durians are prohibited from mass transit systems in both Singapore and Thailand, where durian-lovers abound but people don't want the smell in an enclosed place. A lot of Malaysians find the smell terrible, but love the taste. Some don't like the taste, either, though I think they're a distinct minority. Me, I used to hate them when I was a kid but found on my last trip to Malaysia that I can really enjoy a very high-quality one, even though the smell is bad. But I still can't eat more than one section in one sitting. Durian is very rich and filling.

#382 Radio7

Radio7
  • participating member
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:15 AM

Great blog you two! :smile:
I can't tell what the creature is in Kris' plant though:
"I discovered a friend living in my sudachi tree"
Is it a caterpillar of some kind? I see a pair of eyes, but can't make out the body of the creature - it blends with the plant so seamlessly.
:unsure:
the tall drink of water...

#383 Chufi

Chufi
  • participating member
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:17 AM

Thank you both for a truly wonderful blog week. You are both an inspiration.. I really admire you for being so busy, with jobs and volunteering and then the kids and family life, and still be able to put such wonderful food on the table.. I could never do it..

I was already familiar with your cooking from other threads and posts, but a blog really zooms in on daily life.. it was great to be a part of that!

#384 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,419 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:29 AM

Thanks to both of you. A great blog. Take a bow and then take a well-deserved rest.... but not for too long - I hope to see you both blogging again.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#385 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:32 AM

Great blogging, Kristin and Susan! Bravely tackled pasta especially! I wish I had written more, but I was stressing out too much about my own.... :hmmm:
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#386 Mooshmouse

Mooshmouse
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:30 AM

Despite poison ivy and stuck-finger crises, the two of you have put in a wonderful week of blogging. Thank you for all your efforts... it's been fun!
Joie Alvaro Kent
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

#387 MomOfLittleFoodies

MomOfLittleFoodies
  • participating member
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:54 AM

I have lunch with Peter at school once a week, and today was the day.

Do most schools in the US allow parents to have lunch with their children at school? I don't remember that being allowed when I was in school (though at my elementary school, almost no one stayed for lunch). It seems like Peter really enjoys having you come for lunch. Does most of the children like the idea?

View Post

The school my kids go to allows it. They have what for the most part is an "open door" policy, which means I can observe them at any part of the day, except when the standardized testing is going on.

I try to eat lunch with them once per trimester, just to make sure the adults that supervise during lunch are on their toes about older kidlet's food issues.
Cheryl

#388 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:59 AM

I have lunch with Peter at school once a week, and today was the day.

Do most schools in the US allow parents to have lunch with their children at school? I don't remember that being allowed when I was in school (though at my elementary school, almost no one stayed for lunch). It seems like Peter really enjoys having you come for lunch. Does most of the children like the idea?

View Post

The school my kids go to allows it. They have what for the most part is an "open door" policy, which means I can observe them at any part of the day, except when the standardized testing is going on.

I try to eat lunch with them once per trimester, just to make sure the adults that supervise during lunch are on their toes about older kidlet's food issues.

View Post

Sorry I neglected to answer this question! All of the schools here allow parents to just show up at lunch. Peter and his whole grade love having me come to lunch. I always sit across the table from Peter, and the kids that sit on either side of me rotate every week.

#389 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:05 AM

This really has been a fun blog, and I applaud both of you. The time zone difference has been especially entertaining. (Mommy, who is Susan and why is she making pasta in the morning? :laugh: :laugh: )

Susan, thank you for the extra pasta pointers. I'll keep them in mind next time I try making my own.

Kris, thanks for warning me about the smell of durian. :shock: And those tug-of-war prizes are really cool!

Both of you really are troopers. Here's hoping the sun comes out soon and all children (and their parents!) come through their current crises intact.

Bravissima!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog