Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pictorial: Pork Chops, Honey Garlic Sauce

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 ChryZ

ChryZ
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:46 AM

My second take on this dish. The first one was okay (no pic), but this time I was really happy with it:

Posted Image

Needless to say, that this dish is delicous! Thanks to hzrt8w for this great recipe!

I hope, I don't get shout at for also bedding it on coleslaw *ducks and runs for cover* :laugh:
Christian Z. aka ChryZ
[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

#62 hzrt8w

hzrt8w
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:54 AM

I hope, I don't get shout at for also bedding it on coleslaw *ducks and runs for cover* :laugh:

View Post

Is that coleslaw? I thought they are some thin noodles! :laugh:

Thanks for your picture. That looks lovely!
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

#63 ChryZ

ChryZ
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:37 PM

Is that coleslaw?  I thought they are some thin noodles!  :laugh:

Thanks for your picture.  That looks lovely!

View Post

Thanks. Yeah, it's coleslaw, not raw though. It was made of:

1 half white cabbage
2 TBSP veg oil
2 TBSP rice wine vinegar
1 TSP soy sauce
1/2 TSP honey or sugar
and salt and pepper

Best done a couple of hours in advance.
Christian Z. aka ChryZ
[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

#64 BarbaraY

BarbaraY
  • participating member
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

I have been stalking this recipe for several days. Very pleased to find it right here in Recipe Gullet where I should have looked in the first place. Loved this dish but haven't made it in some time.

#65 Alex Parker

Alex Parker
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

Fantastic recipe! I am going to try this tonight, with a little spin on things, and will post up my results!

Cheers!

Alex

#66 Alex Parker

Alex Parker
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

It Turned out amazing! I should have taken a picture but it looked too good!

I made a simple syrup, with brown sugar and water. Let it cool, added honey, and mixed it all together. Added about 10 cloves of chopped Black Garlic, and let it sit for an hour. I cut the pork into strips and marinated that in some Honey, Garlic, hot sauce, and Chinese Molasses, and let them marinate for about 2 hours. Heated up my wok, with some oil, did off the pork in batches. Then added the sauce and brought it to a hard simmer, then tossed the pork with it. Plated it over some jasmine rice and it was beautiful! Thank you for that! It was delicious! :D

Alex

#67 Lklotz

Lklotz
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:31 AM

Hey I used a big part of your recipe in a dish that I created a few days ago (you can read about it here) , the honey garlic sauce is an absolute winner however I'm not quite sure wether I should be dicing the garlic up very very thin or if I'm supposed to not dice it at all and take the lumps out before serving it, what'd you suggest? Thanks for putting this up, much appreciated.

Edited by Lklotz, 20 June 2011 - 04:33 AM.

#68 Big Joe the Pro

Big Joe the Pro
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:55 PM

I'd like to vote for more authentic Chinese dishes being posted rather than Americanized ones but both are greatly appreciated.
Interesting cultural side note; it can be difficult to find some of the ingredients that you use 'up here' in Beijing. Sa Cha sauce is a good example, Beijingers don't normally use it. Red Vinegar is another, the supermarkets don't stock it.
Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

#69 hzrt8w

hzrt8w
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:33 AM

... I'm not quite sure wether I should be dicing the garlic up very very thin or if I'm supposed to not dice it at all and take the lumps out before serving it, what'd you suggest?

Restaurants do this dish with whole garlic. Good either way. My stove can't burn the whole garlic fast enough so I chopped them. I prefer no raw garlic. Do whichever way you wish! :)

(The whole garlic seems more appealing in plating.)

#70 hzrt8w

hzrt8w
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:36 AM

.....in Beijing. Sa Cha sauce is a good example, Beijingers don't normally use it. Red Vinegar is another, the supermarkets don't stock it.

Thanks for your kind words Big Joe.

I expected that Sa Cha sauce is probably not common "up north" from Guangdong. Red Vinegar? Really? I thought that is a pan-China thing like rice wine.

Are there local grocery markets geared for southerners? There should be as there are plenty of Cantonese restaurants in Beijing these days too, no?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese